PDA

View Full Version : You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

Brunella
07-13-2009, 10:04 PM
My husband wanted to put sealant on our back deck which meant that Ding and Tugg's normal mode of exit would be off limits until Wednesday morning. We've lived in this house for 7 years and Ding would NEVER go down the basement stairs. Just wouldn't do it. Well, hubby carried her down the stairs so she could get into the backyard via the basement door. Tugg goes down there all the time so that's not an issue.

By the time I got home from work today Ding was goin' up and down those basement stairs like she'd been doin' it all her life!

She's 9...she's NEVER done those stairs before (they're kinda steep and well, basement-y).

So that proves it...you CAN teach an old (cattledog) something new.

And what a relief that I don't have to carry Ding down the basement stairs tomorrow at 4:30AM. :thumb_yello:

KAKZooKpr
07-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I guess knowing she had no ther way to go out, she decided the stairs weren't so bad after all! :naughty:

Kristina

RickAKAFishslayer
07-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Lucy's new home has this magnificent spiral staircase...it's just awesome..

First thing I thought was "Blind dog? Stairs?"

Well, she has her sight back now. I need to ask if she ever mastered the stairs. I was under the impression that dogs weren't really built to go DOWN stairs?

Rick

Mel2001
07-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Lucy's new home has this magnificent spiral staircase...it's just awesome..

First thing I thought was "Blind dog? Stairs?"

Well, she has her sight back now. I need to ask if she ever mastered the stairs. I was under the impression that dogs weren't really built to go DOWN stairs?

Rick

Our GSP Pepper (now 11) would TUMBLE down the stairs at our old house when he was a puppy. It was kind of cute to see, sort of like a rubbery dog Slinky, but I'm sure it didn't feel good on his little body....

YogiBear
07-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Aloha,

Never doubt what a cow dog can't do or won't do.

A lot of times you have to think ahead of them when they Stop and really Look at something. Means their beady little brains may be thinking up more ways to drive you Nuts.

One of ours has learned to UNscrew plastic lawn sprinkler heads from the system. Now I have to water the yard by Hand. The sprinklers are ruined because it is Chewed on.

We have a mango tree in the yard, well, at least 2 of 3 dogs like to eat ripe mangos that have fallen. Worst part is that they Sneak the remnants of said mango in the house onto their sofa(s).