PDA

View Full Version : Not shedding

Sophienips
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
It is July in hazy, hot and humid Kentucky and my cattle dog is not shedding but just a few hairs each day. Has anyone shaved their cattle dogs? She is dying with the heat!:no: :hot:

Mel2001
07-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Do you have one of those small, plastic kiddie pools you can let Sophie lounge in? We used that for our two German Shorthaired Pointers (before we put a pool in), and they *loved* it!

I read in another thread that you don't want to shave a longer-haired dog, because their full coat actually protects them from the sun. Rather, you want to cool them off by getting their paws and underside of their bellies/stomachs wet, and keep them inside in the a/c.

Good luck with the heat & humity! :paw:

Bluerules
07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Braggin with the no shedding I see!! lol jk I keep my guys inside and no running around etc when its to hot or I will take them to the river

Sophienips
07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Sophie is not much of a house dog. She is a working horse/cat herding ACD. When I bathe her, she instantly rolls in the dirt to get the clean off and the barn smells on. LOL! She does go in the basement when it is really hot outside, though. I will see if wally world has any kiddie pools left and will keep using the furminator. Hopefully this will relieve her a little. I was just curious to see if anyone had shaved their ACD. Thanks for your help!

noworriesjake
07-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Cattle dogs were bred for a very hot environment and their double coats help keep them cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Wetting her down does help her body temperature cool down since they can't sweat like we do. My Jake doesn't shed much either in the summer and for that I am thankful after seeing the big fur plugs that other cattle dogs shed when they "blow" their coats.

RickAKAFishslayer
07-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Our departed mutt Shovelhead came from Oz and never seemed to adjust his shedding to the season here in the Colonies. All the years he was with us here he never seemed to have any seasonal pattern. He was as likely to shed in winter as summer.

Rick:paw:

YogiBear
07-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Our 3 dogs seem to be shedding all the time judging by the amount of hair that I have to vacuum up every week. I don't bother to vacuum on a daily basis. Once a week is fine with us. :s4:

Ringtailroxy
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
don't shave your dog! i mentioned in another post that the same undercoat & guard hairs that keep a dog warm do so by insulation...and they do the same to keep a dog cool!

dogs that are shaved are more prone to

a. Sunburn
b. Bacterial infections (after all, hair is the first line of defense!)
c. environmental injury (scrapes, bruises, and cuts...again, hair is first line of defense!)
d. insect bites
e. for a working dog, their coat is everything! remove the coat, and you will be undermining what those original cattle men of Oz created...the ACD coat is designed to keep em' safe & working!

if your dog seem overly exerted and panting or uncomfortable, it's because they are. providing a kiddie pool is spectacular, and if you are really concerned, you can buy doggie "cool bandanas"(http://www.cooldoggs.com/ (http://www.cooldoggs.com/))or apply 70% isopropal alcohol to the paw pads...as the alcohol evaporates, it cools off the dog...

i admit it, i DID shave down my YZ during his first 'shed'. i was young, ignorant, & tired of all the furturds in the house...thankfully, the only effect he ever suffered from was that his coat never was as soft & plush again...there is proof that shaving a dog's coat disrupts the natural hair cycle, and can retard it's future growth. (not all hairs grow at the same time...if that was so, i'd be more concerned about the few long blonde hairs i collect on my brush every day!)

rtr