PDA

View Full Version : Mini Cattle Dogs

havekissedfrogs
07-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Well, I had heard of them, but hadn't seen one in person....until I finally met one the other day at the dog park. Thank doG it wasn't one that had been bought from a breeder! The owner said it was a rescue that she had adopted at the Humane Society. She said that the poor little thing has health problems. For one thing, it is obese, and weighs as much as my foster dog, Smokey, who is much taller, even though he is a small ACD! I invited the owner to join this board, and I hope she will. She is a very nice woman.

TexasCDLorenz
07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
There seems to be a trend of mini-sizing everything! Drives me crazy!

jrmgreer
07-12-2009, 07:12 PM
One of our new fosters - Eva (we grabbed her off the rescue board here) - is TINY - only 14 lbs. She is a mix, but what a DOLL... I already have 6 applications for her! Of course - she is still going through heartworm treatment and has to be spayed before she can go, but people seem to LOVE the little ones!

Ringtailroxy
07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
yeah...

mini-coopers

mini pins

mini burgers

mini skirts

mini purses

mini cattle (goes with mini acds)

rtr

babswilde
07-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Can someone pls mini size me? LOL!

Lizzie
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Luna is a mini....she is about 22lbs..13 inches high...her chopped off tail makes her look even minier:naughty:

lauralu
07-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Ellie Mae is a Mini-Tank. She is only 13 inches high but 28 pounds. She is built like a little bull!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/426321

RickAKAFishslayer
07-13-2009, 10:58 AM
People often remark that Dingo is "small."

He's 33# but I would never guess that. His little muscles are like rocks. He's a solid little tank!:biggrin2:

Rick:paw:

DPinMD
07-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Nick's about 33 lbs. as well. I'll have to measure his height later. But there's a lot of dog packed into that small package!:thumb_yello:

Lizzie
07-13-2009, 02:04 PM
So Miss Dawn...have we lost u to Twitter?:naughty:

Yes...Nick is a tiny dude...when we first got him and he came out of the crate I was like...WTH is this?:naughty: Sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute though.....
people were always asking me what he was......

Can u believe it has been a year Dawn since I fostered him....he always hold a special place in our hearts!:flower

2speckledblue
07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Roo weighs 32 pounds and is 18.5 inches tall at the shoulders. He is all muscle. The people at the herding clinic liked his size for an ACD. They were definitely used to bigger and his speckled coat threw them off also.

Miss Marlie
07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
My girls are giants both are about 45lbs but I'm not sure of their ht. I'll have to check that out.
Marlynn and my girls Kate:paw: and Lola:paw:

havekissedfrogs
07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Ellie Mae is a Mini-Tank. She is only 13 inches high but 28 pounds. She is built like a little bull!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/426321

I think the one I met at the dog park was about the same height as Ellie Mae, and her mom told me she weighs 38 lbs!!! She said that she has lost 8 lbs. recently, too! The poor little thing is as wide as she is tall. :s4:

Chew Toy
07-14-2009, 01:16 AM
yeah...

mini-coopers

mini skirts

rtr

you've got my attention roxy!:biggrin2::biggrin2:

Chew Toy
07-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Okay, in all seriousness, what is the average weight of an ACD? Maddy Jo is 46# @1.5yrs... Over here if it's bigger than a cocker spaniel your dog is "HUGE"....still battling the terrified locals whenever I go out they go running away....maybe it's me and not the dog!:biggrin2:

noworriesjake
07-14-2009, 08:06 AM
According to www.cattledog.com (http://www.cattledog.com):
The Australian Cattle Dog varies in size. The AVERAGE ACD will be 35 to 50 pounds (14 to 23 kg) and stand 17 to 20 inches (43 to 51 cm.) at the withers.

lucystrauss
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I don't get the obsession with small things (especially when we are getting LARGER!!) Lucy is 42lbs and people often tell me that she's awfully small for an ACD. I think a lot of people don't realize that ACDs are not supposed to be 80lb monsters (imagine an 80lb ACD? I'd die! lol) The contradicting opinions are funny...some people think they're small and others want mini ones! I personally like ACDs just the way they are and wish that people would stop trying to wreck such a great breed.

autiger23
07-14-2009, 01:32 PM
I second what Mel said. When some folks remark at how small Buck is I point that out, too. I've seen good AKC bred ACD pups his size, so I don't worry about it.

Roo weighs 32 pounds and is 18.5 inches tall at the shoulders.

Ha! Roo and Buck are twins in size! :biggrin2:

DPinMD
07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
So Miss Dawn...have we lost u to Twitter?:naughty:

Yes...Nick is a tiny dude...when we first got him and he came out of the crate I was like...WTH is this?:naughty: Sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute though.....
people were always asking me what he was......

Can u believe it has been a year Dawn since I fostered him....he always hold a special place in our hearts!:flower

LOL, Lizzie. Yes, I will fully admit to being completely obsessed with Twitter! But I do still try to come here at least once a day -- I just don't often have anything to say! I don't feel like I am an experienced enough owner to offer much advice when people have questions, and I haven't had any questions myself lately. And I just figured it would get old (well, to everyone but you, LOL!) if I just came and posted every day, "Nick is such an amazing dog, I can't believe how much I love him!" :)

No, I can't believe it's been a year -- in some ways it feels like it's been a lot less than that, but in other ways I feel like Nick has "always" been with us, KWIM?