PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Kongs

littleroads
07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Those of you who use stuffed Kongs...

Do you actually FILL them? Or just smear peanut butter/yogurt/whatever on the insides before you freeze it? I would think a full one would add a LOT of calories to your puppers - but I just smeared some peanut butter in one for Rody Jane, and she cleaned it out in less than 10 minutes. Granted, it wasn't frozen, but still! How do I give them Kongs to keep them occupied for awhile without adding a ton of calories to their waistlines?

noworriesjake
07-11-2009, 06:56 PM
I put plain yogurt with some of Jake's daily portion of kibble in the Kongs and then freeze. He's not getting any extra calories and it takes him a WHOLE lot longer to lick that thing clean -- he burns off anything he gets extra from the yogurt just licking.

lauralu
07-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I do the same.. use it as a partial meal replacement. I fill mine with kibble and then just smear peanut on the top, then don't give as much kibble. For Ellie Mae who is always on a diet, I fill hers with fruit or veggie chunks, then yogurt on top, then freeze.

MaggieDog
07-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Our combos do fill the kong but are designed to avoid adding a ton of calories or are used as partial meal replacements.

Combos here (all are frozen btw) have included:
- yogurt mixed with dry food
- canned pumpkin mixed with dry food
- canned dog food mixed with dry food
- about 1/2 TBS of PB mixed with dry food
- one of the above mixes but with biscuits added in to make things harder to remove
- dry food with a PB plug at the main opening

Some quickies that are not frozen:
- medium Mother Hubbard dog biscuit wedged in, with or without other stuffing
- smear of PB, pumpkin, or yogurt
- layers of dry food, then canned, then dry, topped with a biscuit

I use some of the above "recipes" in other toys as well. I can get away with just dry food in a Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude toy because of the prongs, I use the frozen mixes for BB Twist n Treats, the blue everlasting treatball takes biscuits well when wedged into the middle compartment (sans "caps"), and of course treatballs (and Treatstiks) of all sorts are easy to fill, too.

autiger23
07-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I do just yogurt or pumpkin with no kibble and freeze for Buck (less about calories and more about what he likes) and Scout gets one full of peanut butter and sometime a peanut butter/yogurt mix. She *needs* the calories, so I don't have to worry about it with her. Freezing definitely adds a tremendous amount of time to it- I can give Scout a full peanut butter one that's not frozen and it only lasts her about 10-15 minutes. Frozen lasts about 45 minutes.

noworriesjake
07-11-2009, 10:24 PM
I think the kibble slows Jake down even more than just the plain yogurt which is why I add it -- rougher terrain takes longer. :naughty:

MaggieDog
07-12-2009, 01:20 AM
I add stuff for the calorie thing, but also because I'm afraid of what my pups' tummies might do if I gave them a kong full of yogurt or PB - a TBS or two is one thing, but i dunno if they could handle that much of either!

KAKZooKpr
07-12-2009, 09:28 AM
I usually just smear a bit of peanut butter inside, but for Katy I have been adding 1/2 of her kibble, then I cram a milkbone in & "seal" it with peanut butter & freeze...ahhh blessed silence! :naughty:

I also have the hard sterilized bones that usually come with a filling, after they get that out I will smear with pb and freeze or not. I also will cook oatmeal add a bit of pb for taste and stuff the bones and freeze them. Lower calories and it takes a long time to get the oatmeal out.

Kristina

lauralu
07-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Also, if you fill the whole Kong w/ PB or yogurt it is a pain in the a** to clean!!! Best to just use a spoonful at the end to seal. Another thing my dogs love...frozen peas! Very low calorie.

jrmgreer
07-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Someone on this forum suggested that I change from peanut butter to canned pumpkin (NOT THE PIE FILLING!) and it works GREAT! I put a piece of duct tape over the small end of the kong, put in some pumpkin, put in some green beans, carrots, and small amounts of raw meat. Then I top off the kong with pumpkin, add a piece of duct tape over the other end, and pop it in the freezer. It takes my dogs about 4 hours to finish off everything in the kong. And I use it as part of their meal. They get the kong in the morning and kibble in the evening.

I use Wellness Core Ocean as their kibble - and it ain't cheap! But using the kong, I have reduced the amount of kibble by half... So a 26 lb bag lasts me about 5 weeks now! :)

jrmgreer
07-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Also, if you fill the whole Kong w/ PB or yogurt it is a pain in the a** to clean!!! Best to just use a spoonful at the end to seal. Another thing my dogs love...frozen peas! Very low calorie.

If you buy the black "super" kong, they do just fine in the dishwasher! And if you don't have a dishwasher - a baby bottle brush works well too! But the pumpkin comes out WAY easier than peanut butter!

fanofdmb84
07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
If you buy the black "super" kong, they do just fine in the dishwasher! And if you don't have a dishwasher - a baby bottle brush works well too! But the pumpkin comes out WAY easier than peanut butter!

I throw all of mine in the dishwasher. I have some of those red squirrels...kind of a cheap knock-off of kongs, and they do fine in the dishwasher too.
As far as fillings, I don't have to worry about calories, if anything I'm trying to find ways to add calories, so I stuff kibble and PB in there. Green beans would probably work too, they are super low calorie.

littleroads
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Last nite I put duct tape over the small end, put in a bit of yogurt, then some kibble (it didn't take as much as I thought, definitely not their whole meal), and then sealed the big end with canned pumpkin. Froze it overnight. Come morning, none of the dogs would touch the Kongs at first because they were too cold - but once they started thawing out, they all took to them, and it took almost an hour for them to finish their Kongs. So it worked great, and I'll try some of the other things you guys suggested too. Thanks!

nschiro
07-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I've also used a little canned dog food as a treat. Pawsom likes banana which helps plug up the hole.

Nicole

k9blueheeler
07-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I usually use yougurt or canned pumpkin with fresh fruits. My 3 like blueberries, bananas, melons, and strawberries. I do freeze mine. It makes them last longer. As for cleaning, I use a bottlebrush. They actually make brushes to clean the Kongs now, but they cost more than the bottle brushes.

I don't worry about the calories. My guys don't have problems burning them off.

MaggieDog
07-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Maggie is very efficient with kong emptying - she starts by holding it big side pointing into her mouth and holds her head up while squeezing with her jaws to break the stuffing up, then she proceeds to chuck the kong again the floor and anything nearby to knock more out. Rinse and repeat. :naughty: Ziva just licks the kibble until it's soft enough it breaks apart. Dunno about Kes since we haven't worked up to a frozen kong yet, but I think he'll probably be a tosser as well lol.

DPinMD
07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Any suggestions on stuffing substances that won't stain carpets as they're rolled all around the floor? Or do I just need to confine Nick to the kitchen or his crate when he has a stuffed Kong?

MaggieDog
07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Depends on the dog - I can give Maggie any stuffing mix and it never hits the floor, but Z's a little messier. If he's a clean dog I wouldn't worry about any of them if you freeze the kongs. If he's a messy dog he'll be likely to leave bits no matter what you use, so I'd confine while feeding.

noworriesjake
07-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Jake just lays belly down on a towel, stretches out and begins licking, his eyes close to slits, and he goes to some happy place while trying to get the kibble out of the frozen yogurt. Sometimes I do it just to watch him b/c it's so funny!