PDA

View Full Version : Meat-Raw or cooked

Bluedog04
07-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I have read several discussions on this forum about the benefits of feeding a raw food diet, but I have not seen anything about feeding cooked meat. As you may know Shooter rides on the truck with me and I am still looking for the best food solution. I am currently feeding him Solid Gold-Barking at the Moon and their lamb flavored kibbles. I mix them, although he isn't crazy about the lamb flavored food. I also put some cooked chicken I buy from Walmart in with his kibbles. My thinking is that cooked meat would last a little longer in a 12v cooler than raw meat would. The cooler gets to between 40-50F which is cold enough for the food I eat. If it feasible I would like to make up about a weeks worth of cooked meat with some veggies and feed that to him instead of the kibble.
I know the kibble I feed him is a good quality, but its not like real meat which I think would be better for him. If anyone has any suggesgtions I would appreciate it.

TexasCDLorenz
07-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I feed cooked meat. Better to feed raw, but more convenient to feed cooked. I don't think I'm hurting my dogs. They get a LOT of treats when we train (we train every day) so they do get a lot of cooked meat.
Laura has a good recipe (I think it is Laura) Help me out here guys. A lot of the folks I train with have some sort of meatloaf type thing they cook up for their pups. Sometimes they mix it with no grain kibble if they are out of town and run low on food.

competitivek9s
07-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Raw is best, but cooked is second :) Another option (not sure if they have it in US) is dehydrated raw. Some specialty stores here have it. It's not cheap, but for your times on the road it would be ideal.

k9blueheeler
07-10-2009, 02:30 AM
There are lots of great dehydrated foods out their. I take a brand called addictions if I am gone for a few days or more on the road showing dogs. My boy Draco gets kibble in the morning and then fed raw at night.

While the dehydrated isn't raw, it's a great source close to raw.