PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie and Annie

Songbird
07-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I wanted to share some pictures of Ozzie and our new "foster" dog Annie (the black lab). Annie rules unless it's something really important to Oz (like guarding me) - then he puts her in her place. Annie is really settling in well, and it's been good for Ozzie to have a playmate. Ozzie is actually teaching her some better manners!

Songbird
07-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm having trouble getting the pictures to post...

Songbird
07-07-2009, 07:36 PM
And some more pics...

dingoridge
07-07-2009, 07:37 PM
How nice, looks like the perfect playmate and Ozzie is doing such a good job, imagine him teaching another dog manners, will miracles never cease, :-)). Good boy, Ozzie.
J

k9blueheeler
07-08-2009, 12:09 AM
What nice photos. They look like they get along great.

Songbird
07-08-2009, 12:18 AM
One thing we have decided is that - if and when Annie's rightful owner gets herself reestablished in a home and takes Annie back, we will for sure get another playmate for Ozzie. Annie is a good dog, but I really want another ACD or ACD mix. I'm just not a lab person. Ozzie is so proud when he obeys and gets praised in front of her. He learns so much quicker and he is so much more focused on pleasing us. Both dogs are sleeping on the floor at my feet as I type.

Dominique
07-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Ozzie and Annie look great together glad you could help her and him with a temporary playmate.

TexasCDLorenz
07-08-2009, 11:23 AM
When you first started posting about Ozzie, I bet you wouldn't have thought that he would be teaching another dog to behave:biggrin2: They look so happy! I know a few folks that don't let their dogs play with other dogs- but IMO they need some doggy play. When I brought Penny home, she was only 4weeks old. I think she would have had some problems if my other dogs had not paid so much attention to her.

Songbird
07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Ozzie and Annie have some really rough play time twice a day. They play for 20-30 minutes, then it's always Ozzie that says "okay, I've had enough now", and Annie seems to understand.

What we've noticed is that Ozzie doesn't play as rough with us now as he used to. We were really working on his mouthiness with us, but now he doesn't get mouthy at all. It's like he's getting all that out of his system by playing with Annie. Now it's all about affection with us.

Ozzie really turned a corner once he learned to respect us. More and more he's showing us that he just wants to please us. He is still very territorial, but now he'll back off of visitors when we order him to sit and behave.

We are trying to bring him around large groups of people more. The recent group camping trip was a big learning experience for him. Every time he tried to lunge at anyone and nip their heels, we would crate him for about an hour. It didn't take him long to figure out that his freedom in camp depended on how well he treated the other campers (especially the children).

When I think of where he was 3 months ago compared to the dog he is now, it just amazes me. He is still onery, hard-headed, and overly sensitive - but that's what we love about him!

Bluerules
07-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Ozzie and Annie have some really rough play time twice a day. They play for 20-30 minutes, then it's always Ozzie that says "okay, I've had enough now", and Annie seems to understand.

What we've noticed is that Ozzie doesn't play as rough with us now as he used to. We were really working on his mouthiness with us, but now he doesn't get mouthy at all. It's like he's getting all that out of his system by playing with Annie. Now it's all about affection with us.

Ozzie really turned a corner once he learned to respect us. More and more he's showing us that he just wants to please us. He is still very territorial, but now he'll back off of visitors when we order him to sit and behave.

We are trying to bring him around large groups of people more. The recent group camping trip was a big learning experience for him. Every time he tried to lunge at anyone and nip their heels, we would crate him for about an hour. It didn't take him long to figure out that his freedom in camp depended on how well he treated the other campers (especially the children).

When I think of where he was 3 months ago compared to the dog he is now, it just amazes me. He is still onery, hard-headed, and overly sensitive - but that's what we love about him!

Wow this sounds so much like my Oscar, he was soo very mouthly with us and he would bug the **** out of Sandy all the time(to get her to play). But since we got Lily then Syndey he NEVER mouths us and only rarely will 'bug' Sandy.. now. And Oscar is also bad out at camp lunges and nips peoples heels/legs(no children) .. I haven't really seen if that improved out at camp yet but he was SO good at Pets in the Park with huge crowds around.. didn't nip at nobody I think he thought he was out numbered...
Great pics BTW I really enjoyed them

Songbird
07-09-2009, 05:59 PM
The other advantage to having another dog for Ozzie - he seems to be content to stay in the yard now. Before he would jump the fence whenever we left him alone for more than an hour. We put coyote rollers up, but there are still a few places he can get over if he wants (and the fence is 6' tall!), but now he doesn't get as panicked when left alone.

My husband and I run a karaoke show at a local bar 3 nights per week, so we usually leave Ozzie alone for several hours on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. I've now started taking him to the bar with us sometimes on Thursday nights. I keep him on the leash and he lays at my feet under the table where I am working. Lots of people come up and talk to him and pet him, plus there's loud music playing. I can tell he's a little stressed at first, but he settles right down and eventually goes to sleep. It's helping him learn to relax around strangers.

I think his play time with Annie wears him out enough to curb some of his aggression (which was the biggest problem we had with him).