PDA

View Full Version : Mission Accomplished!!!

dmracz
07-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi all! :biggrin2: Many of you know the plight that I have had over the last few months trying to integrate my newest girl "Cinnamon" (aka "Cinna-monster") into my pack. :no: It has been a long journey full of ups and downs. :banghead: But I can now report that with lots of time, effort and most of all, patience, I have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll1: As the following pictures prove, it can be done so NEVER give up!!! :thumb_yello: The outcome is worth every moment of doubt, worry and stress. :doh: I assure you. :lmfao: Enjoy!

http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//689/medium/Cabin_in_VT_Ruby_The_Pack_130.jpg
L-R: "Cinnamon", "Calamity", "Keli" & "Sydney'!!!
http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//689/medium/Cabin_in_VT_Ruby_The_Pack_124.jpg

http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//689/medium/TheGirlsEdit2.jpg

http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//689/medium/Cabin_in_VT_Ruby_The_Pack_143.jpg

http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//689/medium/Cabin_in_VT_Ruby_The_Pack_127.jpg

http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//689/medium/Cabin_in_VT_Ruby_The_Pack_099.jpg

http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//689/medium/Cabin_in_VT_Ruby_The_Pack_113.jpg

mom22acds
07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Yea!! That is great news. All of your efforts have been rewarded.

What a GORGEOUS group you have!

dmracz
07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Yea!! That is great news. All of your efforts have been rewarded.

What a GORGEOUS group you have!

Thank you! :) I think my kids are pretty darn Beautiful too! :biggrin2:

KAKZooKpr
07-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Congratulations! I know it wasn't easy. Good for you sticking it out. :thumb_yello: Your crew is beautiful! :biggrin2:

Kristina

Lizzie
07-06-2009, 07:15 PM
You rock De....:thumb_yello:...Love the photos.....u r a great Mom!
Ps u need more smileys..you are lagging

Mel2001
07-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Those are the best photos! Hey, did you glue your dogs' butts to the ground to get them to sit still for the photos, lol?!? :biggrin2:

dmracz
07-06-2009, 08:46 PM
You rock De....:thumb_yello:...Love the photos.....u r a great Mom!
Ps u need more smileys..you are lagging

Thanks Liz! :biggrin2:

LOL! :giggle: You're right Liz! :naughty: I guess that I was just too excited about my dogs all getting along, finally! :thumb_yello: I'll get my act together next time though. :lmfao: I promise! :s8:

Bluerules
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Right on! and OMG Do you ever have a beautiful pack!!!

dmracz
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Those are the best photos! Hey, did you glue your dogs' butts to the ground to get them to sit still for the photos, lol?!? :biggrin2:

Thanks! :cheerful_h4h: LOL! :giggle: Nope. My dogs are all just absolute treat addicts. :naughty: It's true. They will do anything for them. :thumb_yello: All that you have to do is get out the treat pouch and they go into auto-pilot and either sit or lie down. :a-wink: The problem is that they have to be REALLY close to me when they do this which makes it tough to get all 4 in the shots! :blink: So I'm going to need to get a wide angle lens now that I have 4 of them! :wink2: But the treat trick works like a charm! :winksmiley02: In the pix with only the 3 girls, no treats were involved however. That's why "Sydney" is MIA. :s8: He doesn't work for free. :giggle: But the girls will just in case they get a treat afterwards. :BEG2:

Lizzie
07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks Liz! :biggrin2:

LOL! :giggle: You're right Liz! :naughty: I guess that I was just too excited about my dogs all getting along, finally! :thumb_yello: I'll get my act together next time though. :lmfao: I promise! :s8:

LOL.....much better De...you made my night!:thumb_yello::naughty::biggrin2::)

dmracz
07-06-2009, 09:31 PM
LOL.....much better De...you made my night!:thumb_yello::naughty::biggrin2::)

Hee hee! :giggle: Good Liz, I'm glad! :biggrin2:
:s8::cheerful_h4h::a-wink::tongue2::wink2::woot_jump::party0006::scream :

Lolly
07-06-2009, 09:50 PM
:sign0061:Great photos De! :band: What a BEE-u-TI-ful pack you have!! :party0038: Great job:sign0098: getting them all to sit and vogue for the camera! A group hug for all! :love0059:

Hey, where's Ruby? How's she doing? Any new updates?

:wazzapp:

HKFaith
07-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Ohhh...I totally love these pictures!! What a GREAT group of cowdogs!!

3blues
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
You have a great looking bunch of kids. I love Sydney he's adorable & Doc's favorite. :) I love Calamity's tail too. :biggrin2: It's fantastic how much work you've done with your crew, tell me your secrets. :naughty:

Lizzie
07-06-2009, 10:42 PM
WOW:eek::yikes:I am on smiley overload with LMM chiming in

Dominique
07-07-2009, 08:37 AM
That's gtreat you got them all together girls are so tuff to get together, Boys are a cake walk. You do have a very nice looking pac.

Just for Liz :roll1::biggrin2::roll1::naughty::roll1::naughty:

DPinMD
07-07-2009, 11:07 AM
What a beautiful pack you have! Congrats, that's so terrific that your hard work has finally paid off!!

Lizzie
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
That's gtreat you got them all together girls are so tuff to get together, Boys are a cake walk. You do have a very nice looking pac.

Just for Liz :roll1::biggrin2::roll1::naughty::roll1::naughty:

Thanks Dom....:thumb_yello::biggrin2::):s11::s15::flowers 2:

dmracz
07-07-2009, 05:22 PM
:sign0061:Great photos De! :band: What a BEE-u-TI-ful pack you have!! :party0038: Great job:sign0098: getting them all to sit and vogue for the camera! A group hug for all! :love0059:

Hey, where's Ruby? How's she doing? Any new updates?

:wazzapp:

Thanks!!!!:biggrin2:

OK. Ruby had her eye surgery Friday along with a Dental. Poor girl has some issues. :no: Her jaw only opens 50-60% of the normal amount. :s4: X-rays showed some changes in the joint on the left side of her head where the eye is missing. :character0007: She also has fluid behind her ear on that side. :blink: I have noticed that she stumbles on her front leg a fair amount when coming up the step to my porch and she kind of loses balance during sits sometimes on that rear hip so she has a lot of balance problems most likely due to the ear issue. :bored: She also chokes when she has a regular collar and leash on so I have to keep a harness on her and she chokes on her food a lot. So there are mouth and throat issues too. :emot-sad: Anyway, right now she is here with me still. :cheerful_h4h: Her sutures come out in 7 days and then we can start to look for a home for her. :thumb_yello: She's banned from playing or dog to dog interaction because of her surgery. :ban: I'll post a pic. of her later though. :) Aside from her "Issues" listed above, she has become a sweetie and she LOVES people!!! :roll1: She was very jealous of the cowdog crew the night I took the pix that I posted because I walked her out there to meet them all together and her nub wagged like mad! :lmfao: She kept trying to squeeze her face through the fence. :doh:

KAKZooKpr
07-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Do they think Ruby's issue are injury related? Have you looked into tick-borne diseases? When I was working as a Tech in FL I remember a dog who basically had "lock jaw" because of a tick-borne illness. Wondering if this might be similar. I believe it can cause joint issues as well. RTR, what do you think?

Kristina

kmodesitt
07-07-2009, 05:41 PM
What a good looking group of dogs! And they look so contented being together.

What is your secret? I have a male ACD mix, a female ACD (mix) and two mutts. I am fostering a dog, Dally, from our shelter (another ACD female mix) and I can't let her within 10 feet of my dogs. Even though our male is usually the agressive one she has him beat! I'd love to get them all together but she's been with us almost two months and she doesn't seem to be getting any more used to them.

Any ideas?

Heather at SICDR may be having a behaviorist come to her place and I'm planning on taking Dally down there when he comes. She also doesn't like most men, especially their shoes. She will go after my husband's feet if he walks up to her. If he is sitting down and she goes up to him she can't get enough of him. She's in his face wanting to be petted and to give kisses. I have no idea of what is going on with her. She was an owner surrender at our shelter.

Thanks and you've got a great group of dogs.

Kathy

dmracz
07-07-2009, 05:42 PM
You have a great looking bunch of kids. I love Sydney he's adorable & Doc's favorite. :) I love Calamity's tail too. :biggrin2: It's fantastic how much work you've done with your crew, tell me your secrets. :naughty:

Thanks! :biggrin2: "Syd" was my first ACD. :naughty: I love "Calamity's" tail too! :thumb_yello: Her's is the coolest ever! :s8:

As for secrets, I honestly just did things with lots of baby steps. It took a while and involved lots of individual work like not putting "Cinni" outside with the others for a few months and not letting her loose in the house with them, etc. Instead, I would crate them at night and while at work all lined up next to each other so that they could smell and get accustomed to each other without direct contact. A lot of times I'd walk "Cinni" back to the kennel when the other 3 or just "Keli" and "Syd" were back there so that she could interact with them safely through the fence. This made her want to get in there and play with them even more, and vise versa. I also did training classes with "Calamity" and then applied what we learned there to "Cinni" so that they both learned manners in a very similar method. It also established me firmly as top dawg! Sometimes, I'd take "Cinni" to work with me (I work at a shelter) where she'd play with 2 co-workers' dogs who were more her age and energy level. She learned to play and start reading other dog body language in a safe way from them. One was dominant and one was submissive. This helped tremendously because before that, she was in both of my other girl's faces all of the time and didn't pay any attention to the fact that they were not happy and that "Calamity" especially was getting mad fast and not joking! :no: When I finally decided to give it a go, I put "K" out first, then "Cinni" and let them play and tire each other out. Then I let out "Calamity". By then, "Cinni" was too tired to do much and just rolled over allowing "Calamity" to smell her. Once they played some, I let out "Syd". By then they were all exhausted and left him alone. :thumb_yello: That was it! Then I went out and played with all of them and took pix. It was AWESOME! :biggrin2: The next day, I just let them all out to go potty together and they were all pals. :naughty: It's been smooth sailing since then. :roll1:

dmracz
07-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Do they think Ruby's issue are injury related? Have you looked into tick-borne diseases? When I was working as a Tech in FL I remember a dog who basically had "lock jaw" because of a tick-borne illness. Wondering if this might be similar. I believe it can cause joint issues as well. RTR, what do you think?

Kristina

Well, she did have a HW test done which also checked for Lyme and Erhlichia. They were both Negative. The eye injury was definitely inflicted on her but we don't know how. One story said she was hit by a tractor, the other that a horse kicked her. :no: So it sounds suspicious to me & I think that it was human inflicted. :sad: My Vet and I think that it is from whatever happened to her eye. I think she was beat and maybe chained at the time. Her ear is very sore on that side too. The shelter said she had fly strike on it but I think it's a scar. It's too strange that it's all on the left side. :s4: I'm a Tech. at a shelter here in NH.

dmracz
07-07-2009, 06:15 PM
What a good looking group of dogs! And they look so contented being together.

What is your secret? I have a male ACD mix, a female ACD (mix) and two mutts. I am fostering a dog, Dally, from our shelter (another ACD female mix) and I can't let her within 10 feet of my dogs. Even though our male is usually the agressive one she has him beat! I'd love to get them all together but she's been with us almost two months and she doesn't seem to be getting any more used to them.

Any ideas?

Heather at SICDR may be having a behaviorist come to her place and I'm planning on taking Dally down there when he comes. She also doesn't like most men, especially their shoes. She will go after my husband's feet if he walks up to her. If he is sitting down and she goes up to him she can't get enough of him. She's in his face wanting to be petted and to give kisses. I have no idea of what is going on with her. She was an owner surrender at our shelter.

Thanks and you've got a great group of dogs.

Kathy

Well, "Calamity" is my trouble maker. :naughty: She is the one that I have to watch. Have you tried one on one introductions? I have found that dogs can often pick up tension from you in the leash, etc. Sometimes it helps to take 2 dogs on a walk together so they are doing "something" besides focusing on each other. Then you can try 2 others the next time, etc. If you read my reply a few posts up, I explain basically what I did with mine. Lots of getting familiar with each other without contact. Every now and then, I'd try to let her interact with one of the girls and she'd push them too far too fast so I knew that we needed more time. :no: Once I saw her starting to try and interact with them playfully through their crates as she walked by to go potty, I knew that we were getting there. When they tried to play back, I was elated! :biggrin2: But I have had her since January! So when I say it has been a slow process, I'm not exaggerating! :naughty:

You definitely should take advantage of the behaviorist. That's great! As for the shoe issue, you need to get her face up off of the floor. Have hubby carry treats with him when he is around her. Make her focus on the treats, not his feet. The only time I've seen this, the dog had lived with teenage boys that teased him. He attacked the shoes of teenage boys. Maybe she was kicked or she played with someone that kicked balls or something at her. But definitely have him work on getting her head up. If you have male friends, have them come over and have treats too so that she learns to trust them. Or take her to your Vet's or Petco, etc., and ask any males that work there to just give her treats and show her affection, etc. I think it should help. :) Best of luck! Please keep me posted.

k9blueheeler
07-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Congrats. Glad to hear that you have finally done it. They look great together. I bet you are very happy with all that you have accomplished. I know I would be.

kmodesitt
07-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the tips. We had tried the walking together tip but we may not have given it enough time. I'm also thinking she was kicked or something to do with men's feet that hurt her. I will keep you posted. She is so sweet (at least most of the time) that I don't want to give up on her.

Thanks!

Kathy