PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever heard or thought of this?

Buela's Mom
07-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Just thinking out loud...I have a friend who apparently has become a shut in over the years, the least likely person I would have ever thought would become one.

Anyone ever heard of using a cattle dog as a therapy dog for those that have post traumatic stress disorder or fear of crowds and going outside?

Mainly because of the cattle dogs active nature, having responsibility for one may make the essential shut in come outside?

Course it would have to be the appropriate match for dog and owner...and I am not suggesting that every shut in run out and get an acd. Like I said just thinking out loud.

2speckledblue
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't know about using cattle dogs specifically but I am participating in a dog agility program for veterans to help with post traumatic stress disorder or just readjusting to society after being deployed in the war zone. One of the veterans is running Dusty every week on the agility course. The affection and teamwork with a nonjudgmental canine partner seems to help. Last summer, a guy who had some brain function loss due to injuries said that concentrating on running the dog through the obstacles in the correct order helped improve his short term memory. This summer, we have three participating in the program. We use already trained dogs so the participants can get the total experience quicker.

Linda Watkins
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I know of several folks who have assistance dogs for their anxiety....am drawing a blank on what the specific diagnosis is, but the dogs are there to keep them company and go anywhere an assistance dog would go. Makes sense to me -- I know a lot of people who have kept their sanity because they had a dog & *had* to walk it and take care of it. If your friend has no pets, even a cat could be a good start, but if it's that she needs to get outside, then yes -- dogs are used for that purpose already & maybe an ACD is just what she needs ;-)

Ringtailroxy
07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
my Y Z was a certified service dog for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

rtr

littleroads
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Absolutely yes, I have an online friend in northern Wisconsin who suffers from PTSD - she has a service beagle that she takes with her every time she leaves the house. It is the only way she can leave her own yard and cope.

Dominique
07-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Yes Cattle dogs are wonderful for people that have problems going out in public just ask Hawk and I. If you have any other questions please pee mail or email me.:)

3blues
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
That's fantastic, I think ACD's would be good therapy dogs. Great way to get someone with PTSD out and about again. Afterall ACD's love people. :)

Lizzie
07-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I am becoming a shut in W...test them on me...:biggrin2:

Actually I think it is a great idea..:thumb_yello:

k9blueheeler
07-03-2009, 04:11 AM
I don't think the breed matters if using the dog for some kind of therapy work. People seem to attach themselves to animals and talk to them when they don't want to talk to people. A well behaved ACD can be used in work like that. I know several ACD's that do various therapy work.

They are a different looking dog and people are always asking me about my dogs when I'm out in Public. They are definently not your typical labs, goldens, etc.

competitivek9s
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Dogs can be great as Psychiatric service dogs (see the link below), though I'm not sure an ACD would neccissarily be a good choice, as they can be very sensitive to the owners emotions, and could pick up on the owners fears and become an issue with other people (any breed could really, it would mostly come down to the individual dog).

Link:
http://psychdog.org/

TherapyDogMom
07-04-2009, 11:18 AM
I am a long-time evaluator for Therapy Dogs, International. I also have 3 ACD's who are presently certified, with one in training to be certified. My Katie (at the Bridge) was an awesome therapy dog, predicting seizures as well as working wonders with autistic children.

I evaluate any breed (I can't discriminate), but I feel so good when an ACD owner comes to me and they pass. I have NEVER had to fail an ACD. They are just the right size, not too big nor too small, are not yappy, and seem to thrive on the attention they give (and get) when they do their visits.

Yes, ACD's are awesome therapy/assistance dogs.

Linda in Arizona
and Cody, and Jake, and Skye and Ace

TexasCDLorenz
07-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I would think it would depend on the reason your friend has become a shut-in.
Does she have panic-attacks? If so, is she getting any treatment? Agoraphobia or panic disorder could even be made worse by adding a dog. It all depends on the reason for her anxiety. Sorry guys, I know you all love your ACDs, but I know someone who has severe panic-disorder. I don't think she could handle a Heeler. She has a cat and that is about all she can handle. Someone has to come and take the cat to the vet- this women no longer drives, so she depends on others to take her to the Dr. and to the grocery store. After treatment, when her chemical imbalance is more stable, then possibley she could handle a dog, but we all know how many folks get Heelers, then can't handle them- even when they don't have anxiety issues. I think it would all depend on the reason for this friend becoming a shut-in. Therapy dogs are great- I train at a therapy dog center, but the people the dogs interact with are in hospitals or nursing homes.