PDA

View Full Version : Morning glory's and dogs



Dominique
06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
since we moved I have been getting handouts from the neighbors when they thin out there flower beds. I am grateful for this and have managed to use everything I have gotten. My neighbor just brought down some morning glory stands since our backyards very little shade I thought they would make a pretty archway along with some added shade. Like my ac spoiled babies need more shade.

Is it okay to plant them around dogs or should I plant in the front og the house?

Linda Watkins
06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Found this on the 'net -- so unless you have them in a place where the dogs might accidently ingest the seeds....I never even thought about this & always have morning glories in my yard!! hmmmm....

A word about the Morning Glory seeds

Please be careful that you store the seeds safely. In particular it is essential you make sure that children do not eat the seeds. Ipomoea purpurea bought from seed merchants are said to be coated with an emetic (vomit inducing) spray. The reason for this is that the seeds have hallucinogenic properties when ingested (particularly the very popular 'heavenly blue' variety) and although not likely to cause lasting damage you had best keep them safely locked away.

Toxicity of Morning Glory Seeds

We could find no exact toxicity data and would therefore recommend that profession help is sought if a child swallows any quantity of Morning Glory seeds.

Annecdotal evidence suiuggests that If an adult swallows a few seeds they will likely feel no effect whatsoever since the hallucinogenic compounds are inside the husk. If an adult has been silly enough to chew more than about 30 seeds they may well seem confused an hour or so later. The sensible thing to do is to remain calm and allow them to enjoy the experience which may last up to 12 hours. The only real danger is from stressing them out to the point where they run away and perhaps forget about traffic on the roads. Basically be nice to them and look after them and keep the severe telling off till the following day when they should be back to normal.