PDA

View Full Version : First Time Camping with Dogs

2speckledblue
06-21-2009, 10:58 PM
This weekend, I went camping with Dusty and Roo in Bemidji, MN, which is about two and a half hours drive north from where I live. My disc dog club was having a two day competition and doing a clinic to interest more people in the sport. I didn't throw well but the dogs always are excited to play. Roo was doing double jumps, once when the shadow of the disc passed over and again to actually catch it. No photos of that but the crowd was impressed. Or were they just laughing?

Roo tried the dock dog competition. He jumped off the dock his first run at practice. Actually I don't think he realized where he was going to land when he jumped after the toy. After that, all he'd do was shriek at the toy and at me to get it for him. He did go down the dog exit ramp in the water to retrieve the toy once. However during competition, a scary man was standing near it with the scary big net to fish out his toy. Roo decided no way was he going to swim out to get it since that man could scoop him up in the net too. So later we went swimming in the Bemidji Lake instead. Dusty tried swimming instead of only wading.

Lake Bemidji is behind them. I forgot the camera when they were swimming.
http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//686/medium/Lake_Bemidji_June_2009_05.JPG

Both Dusty and Roo did fairly well in the tent. The first night, Dusty wanted to dig through the tent floor so she got to sleep in the soft sided crate. Roo slept on a dog bed between us. The second night, Roo claimed the crate and Dusty slept with me on the air mattress part of the night. They didn't bark really even though some of the other dogs in the camping area did.

On the way to Bemidji, we stopped for lunch at a little park. A giant statue of Paul Bunyan attracted many tourists including us.

Dusty: Don't look now but there's a giant man behind us.
http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//686/medium/Akeley_MN_June_2009_03.JPG

Roo: That's okay. He's friendly. We can sit in his hand.
http://www.aucado.us/photopost/data//686/medium/Akeley_MN_June_2009_01.JPG

3blues
06-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Great pics thanks for sharing them. Two very happy looking dogs. Good to hear they did so well. :biggrin2:

Beth99
06-22-2009, 02:29 AM
Those are the cutest pics! You can tell by their expressions they *like* camping. :thumb_yello:

k9blueheeler
06-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Those are some neat shots. It's been a long time since I've seen that statue. I can't wait to try my one boy who loves the water in Dock Dogs. One of my friends is going to work with him. She wants a second dog to jump with and was willing to try my guy out.

lucystrauss
06-22-2009, 08:47 AM
aww I love the last shot! So cute. :)

Mel2001
06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Josie: Did you take all those photos *after* the competition when Dusty & Roo were tired? Otherwise, how could you have gotten such great photos of them sitting still...?! :naughty:

Bluerules
06-22-2009, 10:08 AM
AWE!! love the pics, made me laugh!

littleroads
06-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Cool pics, Josie!! Rody Jane would have freaked at Paul Bunyan. Allen probably would have peed on him. :naughty: