PDA

View Full Version : Poison Oak, Giardia



candlelight001
06-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Just went for a 3 day backpacking trip in the Trinity Alps, jonesing to take my dog/s next time. Two concerns:

1) I'm really sensitive to poison oak, work hard to avoid it as I get a real bad reaction. How in the world do I keep my dogs out of it and/or keep from getting it from them?

2) Do you need to worry about giardia w/ dogs?

Thanks!

Beth99
06-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend, what a beautiful area to go backpacking and taking the dogs would make it even more fun. :biggrin2:

Yes, if your dogs run through poison oak they can give it to you. My hubby is very sensitive to poison oak too, so if we see any ahead, we call our dogs and have them heel until we a past it. You could always take the dogs when the poison oak is red and easy to see from a distance. Also, maybe go to the higher elevations, assuming it's correct, I looked online and one website said the highest it grows in California is 4235 feet (another said it doesn't grow over 4000 feet in CA). It also seemed that the farther north you went the lower the poison oak stayed.

http://www.curtbeebe.com/docs/avoidance.html

Giardia is something dogs can get, just as humans do. I've heard it can be a pain if your dogs get it, but I wouldn't let it stop me from taking my dogs and having fun with them. One thing you can do is to boil your dog's drinking water before they drink it and to not let them drink out of streams. It wouldn't guarantee they wouldn't get giardia, but I imagine it would lessen the chances of their catching it.

Here's a link to an article on giardia.
http://www.vetinfo.com/dgiardia.html

Before you tackle a trip like this, I would suggest making sure your dogs have a great/dependable recall. It could make the difference between life and death.

candlelight001
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Beth! So much good advice and help from you. Many thanks!

k9blueheeler
06-22-2009, 03:11 AM
I've never experienced Posion Oak. As for Giardia, that I have experienced with my dogs. The bad thing that I find is that a dog can test negative but have it. Boiling the water is a good idea, but that's not 100% foolproof. Don't run and get the shot. I hear it's not that great of a thing to do.

I know a few people who have gotten the shot for their dogs and it really didn't work. The nice thing is it's easy to treat in dogs than it is in humans.