PDA

View Full Version : Nash's Knobby Noggin

Mel2001
06-20-2009, 11:20 AM
About two weeks ago we noticed that Nash has a "bump" on the top of his head, sort of like retrievers/setters get. I remember that his BYB told us that Nash's grandpa or great g'pa was part retriever, so I just chucked it up to that.

Well, my husband and so were so freaked out by it, that I took Nash to the vet earlier this week to have his "knobby noggin" checked out. The vet saw it immediately and thought it was "odd." She felt around and even measured it (about 2 1/2 - 3 cm tall), but said that the muscle on either side was symmetrical. Plus, the "bump" is hard (either bone or cartilage according to the vet) and not soft, like a contusion would be.

Bottom line: The vet said to keep an eye on it, and if it gets bigger/changes shape, then have it x-rayed and biopsied.

I'll post photos of this soon. Depending on the angle of Nashie's head, sometimes you can't see it; other times it looks like he's got a horn growing/developing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Our GSP Pepper has something similar, but I thought it was just a breed-specific thang, so one of our loving nicknames for him is "Bonehead" or "Bone Daddy," lol. :)

babswilde
06-20-2009, 12:05 PM
As Parker has just passed his one year birthday, he has a knob on top of his head. But he's a BC/McNab so perhaps its the breed.

KAKZooKpr
06-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Lexi (GSD) has a knob on top of her head too! Maybe we should start a group for bonehead dogs! :biggrin2:

Kristina

Jake&Tex
06-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Jake has the knot on the back of his head too.... my husband calls it the "dumb knot".... I call it the "smart knot". Tex has a little bit of one too, but not as pronounced as Jake's.

3blues
06-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Bear, my Aussie, used to have one on top of his head but it was his skull. We called it his smart bump. None of our other guys have that. Hope for Nash it's just his smart bump too. :biggrin2:

KAKZooKpr
06-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Bear, my Aussie, used to have one on top of his head but it was his skull. We called it his smart bump. None of our other guys have that. Hope for Nash it's just his smart bump too. :biggrin2:

Yes, Lexi's bump is her skull, but in her case it ain't a "smart" bump! :roll1:

Mel2001
06-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the reassurances, everyone! Yes, Nashie's bump is in his skull (as is Pepper's). Some days it's considered his "smart bump" yet others Nash can be quite the Bonehead, lol. :naughty:

DrArin
06-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Sheila's dome is full of knots. but she knocks her head on almost everything she passes.