PDA

View Full Version : Aspirin

Bluedog04
06-18-2009, 08:24 PM
I have heard that it is ok to give a dog baby aspirin for pain. Any problem with this? Shooter is in some discomfort and I have some 81mg baby aspirin. Thanks

KAKZooKpr
06-18-2009, 10:07 PM
I have given baby aspirin to my dogs before with no problem. I would probably only give one. Watch for any stomach upsets. If it will make you feel better, maybe you can call an Emergency Vet to double check dosage.

Kristina

Brunella
06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Our vet has suggested using the low dose enteric (coated) aspirin when my two get a little achy. The low dose is 80mg (I believe) and the coating is to avoid stomach upset but we also make sure that we bury it in a piece of bread for additional coating. Just one usually does the trick and we don't resort to it very often but it works just fine and the dose seems correct.

mlanger
06-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Our vet has suggested using the low dose enteric (coated) aspirin when my two get a little achy. The low dose is 80mg (I believe) and the coating is to avoid stomach upset but we also make sure that we bury it in a piece of bread for additional coating. Just one usually does the trick and we don't resort to it very often but it works just fine and the dose seems correct.

I gave my shepherd low dose aspirin for aches and pains in her bad elbow
It works as well as other pain meds with less side effects (for her it did)
I was using the enteric coated But the vet said not to use the enteric
coated. He said to use the buffered aspirin. He had a very logical reason why the buffered was better than the enteric but I cant remember what it
was. I do know, I had given her both Buffered and Enteric in the past and she always did better on the buffered where the Enteric seemed like it didn't work very well. I never made the connection until the vet mentioned it.

TexasCDLorenz
06-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Back before the days of Rimadyl and all the doggy pain meds on the market, we used buffered aspirin. When I was a kid (I'm 53) we gave our dogs aspirin. Buffered if the store had them, if not, then my baby aspirin, but the vet had always said to try and use the buffered, given with a meal, to avoid stomach upset.