PDA

View Full Version : Rosie's First Puppy Class

CrazyCatlady
06-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Monday was Rosie's first puppy class. The owner, who has an eight year old ACD, said that she is definitely an ACD/Beagle mix. This isn't the clearest pic ever, but gives you an idea of how good she was behaving (at the time!)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Beckiboo/06-15-09_1925.jpg

She was the largest puppy, which was a surprise to me. But class is for 10 weeks to 5 months, and she is 4 months old. She was very excited by the other dogs. But when the "teacher" handed out treats to each of us to reward the puppies with, Rosie sat right in front of me and I had her full attention! LOL!

She was the only puppy who noticed that the teacher had a treat pouch on her belt, and the only one who tried to sniff and snitch some treats. She was also good when the teacher needed to show how to teach "no bite", because she demonstrated trying to chew on the teachers hands.

Overall, she did very well. And seems to have learned some behaviors in one short hour.

k9blueheeler
06-18-2009, 01:46 AM
Puppy classes are great social classes. My younger ACD's went to classes. We had a couple of different classes for puppies. One was just a socialization class for 3 weeks for puppys 8 wks. to 12 weeks. The we had headstart class where they learned some manners and some obedience.

From there it was onto regular classes. It was alot of fun working with them. If she already figured out about the treat bag she is definently a smart one and a quick learner. Have fun.

lucystrauss
06-18-2009, 10:03 AM
That's great that you're taking her to a class already! I've always waited until mine were old enough for basic obedience, but I'm definitely taking the next one to a puppy class for socialization.

TexasCDLorenz
06-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Your pup is adorable. I've always liked Beagles. My obedience club has puppy classes- EVERYONE wants to teach the puppy class! HA! Can you blame us? Enjoy these times with her- they pass too quickly!:)

littleroads
06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
You have a smart one, there! :naughty:

Sounds like this will be FUN for both of you! Keep us posted on her progress!

lynelle
06-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Wow, your pup is adorable! I just keep thinking of the cattle dog shreik mixed with a beagle howling and there is a gun to my head in that picture! I hope yours has a more quiet side, but if not, at least he is so darn cute to make up for i!

CrazyCatlady
06-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Rosie is SO smart! We were gone for 4 days, and she was home with my oldest son. That means she wasn't in my bedroom for the full 4 days. The first thing she did upon entering my bedroom was to to look at the bowl of catfood hidden in the bathroom. (My paranoia in case anykitty got shut in my room accidentally.) She remembered that it was there, AND remembered that she was not to eat it!

Then about 15 minutes later dh sat in his recliner and leaned back, lifting the foot rest. Rosie immediately scooted under the chair to retrieve a tennis ball. I have had many smart animals over the years, but she amazes me. She doesn't usually go under the chair, so I know that she wanted the ball, and she had remembered where it was.

She did not remember that she is supposed to be in quiet in her crate at bedtime. She kept barking at us for a few minutes after we went to bed. I don't know if she was saying "come pet me more, I missed you" or "where the heck have you been?"

She is very talkative, and has a yodel type of Blue Beagler/Australian Cattlebeagle type of noise. Not a quiet dog, but not too bad (so far). She does yelp really loud when she feels abandoned on her line outside, or in her crate...not sure if that is the shriek or not! But she seems to know that we like quiet. Often she lays down with her ears back....kind of "this is against my noisy nature, but I will rein it in for you Momma".

She has her second puppy class tonight. I can't go (Little League finals), so she will be there with ds20 and dd13. I'm sure Rosie can bring them up to speed on what was taught last week! (LOL....just kidding....the 13 y/o was there last week, too.)