PDA

View Full Version : Do your dogs "dig" you?

lucystrauss
06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
I mean this in a literal sense, as in "dig a hole", not "I dig you, man!" When Lucy gets riled up, she digs at us...usually our feet, but sometimes she'll jump up on the couch/whatever and try it on our heads and backs. I know it's not appropriate behaviour, but it's flippin' hilarious.....what the heck is she doing and why? I've never seen a dog do this, so I'm not sure if it is a cattle dog trait or Lucy is just nutso. :naughty:

ACDonMyMind
06-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Brix (ACD) does nothing like that, but my old girl Kiri, a smooth collie when she was younger she used to stamp my feet or other peoples feet when she was exited. She would tilt her head to the side, lift one paw and sort of aim for your foot, and then stamp real hard. It really hurt when she hit perfectly (she mostly did) and was very happy and did it even more when the "victim" screamed.

lucystrauss
06-17-2009, 09:50 AM
lol!! Sounds like she was trying to get a similar reaction that Lucy is seeking. She'll dig faster if we scream or laugh. I've been trying not to react when she does it, but it hurts!! Especially this time of year when I don't tend to have socks on my feet!!

Cowdog Mom
06-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Tanker will dig, only outside, when he gets excited and wants to play. He'll bark and then paw with one leg and then the other. Then he'll start digging with both feet and end up in a play bow just looking at us and the other dogs. The dogs also have the "ugly bushes", the bushes in the backyard that I hate but leave up for them to play in. They go under the bushes to play hide and seek. Tanker will go in the bushes andig up a storm as the dirt and rocks hit the house!

dingoridge
06-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Are you kidding??? One of my males digs holes in the ground I think looking for grubs--which he digs out and yuk --- eats!!!! There are holes all over my yard, I was walking to the garage the other night, hit one of his holes--which are 10" deep or more--and fell flat of my face with my foot still stuck in the hole. And he has taught the others how much fun digging can be, thankfully they don't dig for anything, just scratch the surface but he digs with purpose.
J

lucystrauss
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Funny, Lu has never had any interest digging in our backyard. Once at the cottage we didn't catch her until she was laying in a huge hole she had made in the sand under the deck....but other than that, she just wants to dig at human skin. Maybe she's trying to see what's inside!! haha

Dominique
06-17-2009, 08:58 PM
That is funny. Hawk will scratch our backs if we ask him to he has gotten pretty good at it.

Bluerules
06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Oscar paws at us and when he's really excited he will do the play bow going back wards and dig his front paws into the ground and throw back dirt and he will back up along ways doing this.. dirt or blankets or the carpet..