PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes in the neighborhood

threedrodi
06-16-2009, 10:58 AM
So last night while walking the boys - hubby spotted 2 coyotes!

I didn't get to see them as I had turned back early to head back home with Derbino. Brent saw both of them. Foster only saw 1 :)

Brent was amazed at how quiet they were. They were loping along and paid no attention to him or Foster. The first one crossed the road and then the next one following. They were running the power lines. Of course when Foster saw the 2nd one he started in on his noise making (the shrieking bark.) Not sure if he thought it was a dog or something wild.

Last summer or summer before we had signs up saying that coyotes were around and small pets were going missing so to be careful - now we can say we def know they are still around.

Craziness!
Christine and Derby and Foster

TexasCDLorenz
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
We have a lot of coyotes in this area. They come down my fence line every night. I love to here them howling. My Heelers like to be outside at just the right moment, so they can howl along. My old Rotties sounded like fog horns, but the Heelers actually seem to get into tune. Sometimes it is so loud, that it sounds like there are 30 of the little critters, but it is the way they howl- sort of taking turns, changing octives.
If I sit very quite, they will touch noses with my dogs through the fence. There are cows in the pasture, but they don't bother them- too many rabbits and other "fast food" . (the cows are extremely nasty tempered) Coyotes can be pesty tho- they got into my uncles garden- he caught them eating his melons- weird- they seem to have a thing for watermelons & cantalopes:s4:
If you want to keep them away, a good livestock guarding breed will do the trick- blackmouth curs & Anatolians will scare them off, but I hate to see people turn their Pitts loose on them. I understand the need to protect your chickens & young stock, but I don't mind my dogs doing a little socializing on the wild side.

threedrodi
06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I should have said in my post that I live in a burb of Atlanta :) I've seen news stories about coyotes around town (and even some black bears) but when I think of Atlanta I don't think of coyotes...and not coyotes close to my backyard - haha!

Only time I've seen coyotes in person was when we were out west (AZ) and when we were at Yellowstone.

It will be interesting to see if we see them again or if they were just passing through.

littleroads
06-16-2009, 03:46 PM
We have coyotes in downtown Milwaukee, WI now! They adapt VERY WELL to city and suburban life. Almost too well! Out here in the country, We hear pups every spring in the field next to ours. I love to hear them howling, but not so keen on them being so close to my goats! A couple of years ago we had two of them in our driveway, looking through the fence...when they saw me come out of the house, they just calmly turned and trotted off slowly.

Songbird
06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
We have coyotes along the river in our neighborhood in a Sacramento, California suburb. Once when walking Ozzie by the river, a coyote loped alongside of us (about 100 yards to our side) for quite awhile. She looked very unconcerned - and Ozzie was just mildly curious about her. Ozzie and the coyote kept an eye on each other the whole time, but it was more like friendly interest. Oz looks so much like a coyote that we laughed and said they were probably checking each other out (in a "romantic" way)! They have been known to come into our neighborhood and catch kitties for dinner, though.

lucystrauss
06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
We have coyotes here in Toronto too. Earlier this year, people were outraged because one got into someone's backyard (which backed onto a ravine) and ate a chihuahua!! People wanted to kill the coyote for doing only what came natural to him/her!

My friend's parents live near the area and her father started peeing around their back fence, hoping to deter coyotes. All I can think about are the poor neighbours!! lol

The farmers up by my cottage usually get a pair of llamas to guard their flocks. Pretty cool, if you ask me :)

jyocom
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
One night I opened my back gate to quickly retrieve something from my car. Enzo was with me, off-leash (bad Jen!) and he took off! I ran out after him and saw that there were several coyotes trotting down the street. Enzo was either trying to chase them off or go play with them! :shocked:

Luckily, he came back to me as soon as I called him. Eric would have been pissed if I got our puppy eaten by coyotes!

CrazyCatlady
06-18-2009, 01:04 AM
I live in the country, and we have coyotes here. They never bother us. We don't really see them, but can hear them at night, out in the fields. And I have heard that they catch the feral cats. Luckily the barn cats that we have had grew up experiencing outdoor life, and seem to know to stay away from them!

I know that they live in our nearby town, too, because occasionally I will see one near the park.

Sad about them getting small pets.

Jake&Tex
06-18-2009, 01:12 AM
I have not personally seen a coyote where we live, but have definitely seen "evidence" that they are around; and, some friends of mine spotted a nice and plump one a couple of blocks from my house where I sometimes take Tex for a walk. Kinda scary.

On a related note, I have had a couple of people ask me if Tex is a coyote when we are out on a walk (and another refer to him as a "hyena" from a distance).....:doh:

k9blueheeler
06-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Where I live we have coyotes. They even live in the city limits of Redmon, Bellevue, Seattle etc. They do adapt very well and are amazing creatures. I've had several sightings of them when out walking my dogs. They keep their distance but they do follow along side of us.

I love to hear them howling. When I was at home we had one that would wait down at the end of the street for whoever walked the family dog at night. He played a game of darting out in front of us and crossing to the other side of the street. I would actually turn the dog loose (Afghan Hound) and they would play.

I got a good laugh at the coyote trying to keep up with an Afghan Hound when it turned into a game of chase. Never had an issue with fighting.

3blues
06-18-2009, 02:23 AM
I like coyotes. We also have them here in the city. A woman who made Doc's b-day cake said she has them all the time around her house. Said they're brazen too. They're looking for food.

Has anyone read The Daily Coyote? It's a cool book & I'm hoping to get a subscription to it for my b-day. In the book the coyote is raised with a cat & dogs. It's pretty cool.

We have foxes behind our house. They're out right now. This years litter had 3 kits. There is a family of 5, mom, dad, & 3 kits. I saw the babies & momma tonight.

Wouldn't mind seeing some coyotes. I think it's pretty cool how they follow long with the dogs. Just keep an eye out for rabies.

YogiBear
06-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Aloha,

Probably a Good thing we don't have them here in Hawaii. Otherwise, I think our 3 would be in a major fight with them. They work well as a Team.

How Big are coyotes in relation to an ACD? Would they "try" an ACD on for size?

Our male is almost 65 pounds, the "pup" is 63 pounds and the alpha female is almost 50 pounds.

TexasCDLorenz
06-18-2009, 12:31 PM
The coyotes here are around 30lbs. They can be as tall as a Heeler, but they are slimmer. They will not fight with a domestic dog, unless they have too. I ran into one while camping one night (had to go pee) I was alone, not a large human, but scared the creature. It just turned and ran. They will socialize with domestic dogs, they are very curious and playful. Foxes are harder to see. They never come near my house, but I often see them crossing the road, if I'm out driving at night. A coyote will always run, rather than fight. I think if they intended any harm, my dogs would pick up on that and not be so friendly with them.

Songbird
06-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Funny thing - last night (after reading this thread yesterday), we encountered a coyote again while walking the dog. Ozzie took off doing his kangaroo leaps through the tall grass. We saw ears popping up ahead of him and assumed he was chasing a jack rabbit (his favorite thing to chase). Suddenly the "prey" stopped and turned to stare at Ozzie. Ozzie stopped and stared back. My husband said "that is no jack rabbit - that is a coyote". Dog and coyote stood and stared at each other for a few moments, then Ozzie turned and calmly trotted back to us while the coyote sauntered back into the brush. They look so much alike. They are about the same height, and from a distance they look the same color, but the coyote is much slimmer and leggier.

ekornak
06-18-2009, 01:39 PM
NPR recently had an article on these guys with a gorgeous pic of one: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=105385196

threedrodi
06-18-2009, 02:08 PM
funnily enough, Foster was at the vet yesterday and some dude was like - wow - he could be mistaken for a coyote

Here are pictures of the 2 coyotes we saw at Yellowstone:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/2691434280_70b4f45fb3.jpg?v=0http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2690615183_63503b05e0.jpg?v=0

Here are pictures of Foster:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3421/3356828826_27317b8b6a.jpg?v=0http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3456709249_0774386798.jpg?v=0

We've had other people tell us that too - kids at the park. They also thought Derby looked like a wolf. Yep, walking around the park with a coyote and a wolf :)

Now our boys might look more "wild" then let's say a lab but I don't think coyote is a match.

Now a dingo...
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/dingo.jpg

oh wait Dingo is in the breed <heehee>

Cowdog Mom
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
I always have folks asking me if Tanker, red male, is a coyote or coyote cross. I get nervous when we are out walking, he goes off leash. I'm sure some passer by's think he is a coyote!

k9blueheeler
06-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I've had the same questions asked me of my dogs. It's amazing that people think our breed is part coyote. Speaking of foxes, there used to be one in the neighborhood I grew up in. He joined us in our walks also. The photos of the coyotes in Yellowstone are what ours look like here. They range between 30 to 50 pounds here.

I think alot of the size and weight depends on where they live and what they eat. Eastern WA they tend to be smaller than here in Western WA.

KAKZooKpr
06-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I always think that Lexi looks like a coyote, she not much bigger than they are. It is one reason why she wears a bright orange collar!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/KAKrickbaum/LexiRun1.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/KAKrickbaum/Lexi_LongTrot2.jpg

A couple more.
Coyote:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/Phantomfreak07_2006/coyote_pounce2.jpg

Lexi:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/KAKrickbaum/Lexi_Dive1.jpg

Christine, foster definitely looks like a Dingo! :D

jyocom
06-19-2009, 12:00 AM
They will not fight with a domestic dog, unless they have too.

Coyotes have been taking cats in our neighborhood, as they do most everywhere, but they have also been taking and eating small dogs, according to some news I saw. Pugs, chihuahuas, yorkies, etc. One was taken while the owner was walking it! I am sure that they do socialize with larger dogs, or even flee from them, but anyone who has a small dog should definitely look out for them. :no:

TexasCDLorenz
06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Coyotes have been taking cats in our neighborhood, as they do most everywhere, but they have also been taking and eating small dogs, according to some news I saw. Pugs, chihuahuas, yorkies, etc. One was taken while the owner was walking it! I am sure that they do socialize with larger dogs, or even flee from them, but anyone who has a small dog should definitely look out for them. :no:
I don't think it unusual for any wild animal to think of really small dogs and cats as food. I'm not doubting what you read, but I have a really hard time believing that coyotes would approach a human and take a dog off a leash. Maybe this person let their tiny dog off leash to run and they grabbed it? The coyotes in your area may be mixed with wolves. The only wolf native to this area was the Mexican red wolf- no bigger than a coyote, so that may account for the differences in size and behavior in other areas. I would think letting a cat or small dog outside alone or at night would be risky- bobcats would be more likely to kill them, than coyotes. Nasty temper, less afraid of humans.

k9blueheeler
06-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Up here in WA one year, people were blaming the coyotes for killing neighborhood cats and small dogs. The Wildlife officals and Animal Control started watching the neighborhood and discovered that it was a pack of domestic dogs and not the coyotes.

I have actually watched a coyote run through a group of people to get to other side of the street and disappear. I was one of the people in the group. We were all alittle mythed about that. As for snatching a dog on a leash with a person on the other end, they would run first.

As for mixed with wolves, there aren't any in Oregon that I know of. I do know that we have wolves in WA state. They are up in the North Cascades along the Canadian Border. They have several dens in this state so they are officially reconized by the Wildlife Department.

RickAKAFishslayer
06-20-2009, 12:38 AM
They will not fight with a domestic dog, unless they have too. .

Our friend's Ridgeback mixes it up with the coyotes fairly regularly.

We've never had them inside our fence but I still accompany the dogs on their nightime potty breaks.

I also enjoy listening to them howl.

Rick:paw:

competitivek9s
06-20-2009, 07:14 AM
We had a lot of them in my area last year (and I'll bet we will this year). There were a couple that were quite brazen, coming right up to peoples houses, and so there was speculation they might have been coy-dogs (coyotes that have bred with domestic dogs), which tend to be much less concerned about people.

Beth99
06-20-2009, 07:25 AM
I like listening to them howl too.

The coyotes here are quite brazen, a friend of mine was walking on a narrow walkway and had one brush against her leg has he pushed by her. The walkway was barely wide enough for both of them and evidentally he didn't want to step off the sidewalk.

The coyotes here will ocassionally take small dogs right off leashes and will try to lure larger dogs into the brush (by playing with them) where other coyotes are waiting to kill the dog. We have had them come up to the arena, while we are roping, on a couple occasions trying to get my dogs to go "play" with them. Needless to say I watch my dogs very closely at night when we are at the barn.

TexasCDLorenz
06-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Seems really strange to me, the thought of coyotes trying to lure dogs away, a small dog yes, but it does not seem likely that they would think of Heeler size dogs as prey. From what I've seen, they are terrified of domestic dogs (except for ones like mine, that are friendly towards them) Some people think it is funny to let their Pitts go after them. I never worry about coyotes- IMO they are harmless (unless you're a cat or tiny dog) What I worry about are the domestic dogs that are allowed to run loose. Last week there were 2 separate attacks by Pittbulls- a 10 yr old boy was killed and a few days later, a 4yr old was attacked, but survived (barely) These were not the same dogs- two different counties. In my 53 yrs, I've never had any problems or fear of coyotes- but domestic dogs that are allowed to run loose - that is another story!

jyocom
06-21-2009, 02:48 AM
What I worry about are the domestic dogs that are allowed to run loose.

Completely agree with you there. We have an unbelievable number of those in this neighborhood!

I can't say I have witnessed this coyote snatching a dog off a leash myself, I can only report what I have read in newspapers and on the community bulletin boards. So you may be right to suppose the culprit may have been something else, not a coyote! It is somewhat unlikely that there are any wolf x coyote crosses in this part of Oregon. As I understand it, there are some wolves making a reappearance, but that is on the eastern side of the state. We do however have several wolf x dog crosses locally, and it is possible that such a dog could have crossbred with coyotes... hmmm interesting thought.

I love the coyotes though. They are so beautiful and I don't have any livestock to worry about. :biggrin2:

Beth99
06-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Seems really strange to me, the thought of coyotes trying to lure dogs away, a small dog yes, but it does not seem likely that they would think of Heeler size dogs as prey. From what I've seen, they are terrified of domestic dogs (except for ones like mine, that are friendly towards them)

Cindy my understanding is that you live in a very rural area, we live in a very populated area, so it's probably best not to assume that coyotes around you will behave the same as coyotes in SoCal .

The coyotes around us live in an urban environment, they live in the outlying parks and open areas and then travel into the housing tracts to do their hunting. Because of this, many of these coyotes have little fear of humans and consider domestic animals as prey. It isn't unheard of to see coyotes casually patrolling neighborhoods during the day.

They will absolutely attack a dog the size of an ACD or even larger. Many years ago, we had a dog aggressive pit bull mix that came into our shelter. We didn't think we would ever find a home for Johnny, but he was finally adopted to a very savvy dog owner. She called us about 8 months after she adopted him to tell us he had been attacked by a coyote and had been in a fight for his life. She said Johnny just kept trying to defend himself and get away, but the coyote kept grabbing his throat. She said the fight took forever, but finally Johnny got away. Johnny was pretty torn up, but healed up okay. Johnny was about 23" at the withers, about 90-100 pounds and solid muscle. He was such a big strong dog, I would never have dreamed that he would have had any trouble fighting off a coyote.

I also know somone who's N/M sheltie was lured by a coyote trying to take him back to the pack. Fortunately, he finally listened to my friend and came home before he got to the pack, which he could see in the distance.

TexasCDLorenz
06-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm sorry- I'm not trying to start anything with you Beth, but I find that impossible to believe. Don't get me wrong- I have the greatest respect for you and the rescue work you do, but a 90lb Pitt mix, getting torn up by a coyote? Are the coyotes out there on steroids? We find them dead from domestic dogs killing them. I've seen a Pitt tear one to pieces. I've seen the ones that come to my fence running for their lives - from domestic dogs! Are you sure that lady didn't fight that Pitt mix? My cousins Catahoulas have killed coyotes- drug it home! One of my crazier fosters jumped the fence and went after a group years ago- the pack ran- packs are usually family groups consisting of male, female, and pups. I stopped him before he killed the one he grabbed- he was a 40lb Heeler. I just can't see these scrawny 30lb creatures, hurting a 90lb Pitt mix or any other medium to large domestic dog.

Beth99
06-21-2009, 09:27 PM
I am certainly not trying to start something with you Cindy, I have great respect for you. Animals of the same species can differ by geographical location. Therefore, I would not claim to know anything about coyote's habits in Texas, but I live in SoCal and have actual experience with coyotes here. While it is not normal for single coyote to attack a big dog, as I mentioned, what is more common is the pack killing a domestic dog. Also I suspect another difference between Texas and California coyotes might be that we don't have many, if any, domestic dog packs here killing coyotes, so there isn't any reason for them to fear domestic dogs (this is just a guess by me though, so it may not be correct).

She did not fight the Johnny, the coyote went for the underside of his throat, interestingly the article below mentions that exact tactic. He was latched on and Johnny couldn't easily bite the coyote because he was underneath him. They must have incredibly powerful jaws, because like you, I never would of thought a coyote could give Johnny an even remotley hard time. The article below does reference SoCal coyotes attacking dogs as big as rotweillers, although it is rare.

I have been harrassed on horseback by what looked to be a young coyote, he was good sized, but very thin, so I think he was desperate. He was following directly behind the last horse in the group of four, which was me. It took me chasing him two times from horseback to get him to leave us alone.

My hubby and I have also seen two coyotes at Casper's park trying to take down an adult doe, although I suspect she may have had a fawn in the area, since it was last spring that I saw it.

the experpt below is from wikipedia, it specifically mentions southern california and south orange county, which is where I am from.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote

Attacks on humans
Coyote attacks on humans are uncommon and rarely cause serious injuries, due to the relatively small size of the coyote. However, coyote attacks on humans have increased since 1998 in the state of California. Data from USDA Wildlife Services, the California Department of Fish & Game, and other sources show that while 41 attacks occurred during the period of 1988-1997, 48 attacks were verified from 1998 through 2003. The majority of these incidents occurred in Southern California near the suburban-wildland interface.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-AOH-38)

Due to an absence of harassment by residents, urban coyotes lose their natural fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes begin to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-AOH-38) Like wolves, non-rabid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies) coyotes usually target small children, mostly under the age of 10, though some adults have been bitten. Some attacks are serious enough to warrant 200 stitches.[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-Attacks-39)

There is currently only one recorded fatal attack on a human. In 1981 in Glendale, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale,_California), a coyote attacked toddler Kelly Keen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Keen_Coyote_Attack), who despite being rescued by her father, died in surgery due to blood loss and a broken neck.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-AOH-38)[41] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-40)

Livestock and pet predation

Coyotes are presently the most abundant livestock predators in western North America, causing the majority of sheep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep), goat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat) and cattle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle) losses.[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-CP-11) For example: according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Agricultural_Statistics_Service), coyotes were responsible for 60.5% of the 224,000 sheep deaths that were attributed to predation in 2004.[42] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-41) However the total number of sheep deaths in 2004 comprised only 2.22% of the total sheep and lamb population in the United States.[43] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-42) According to the National Agricultural Statistics Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Agricultural_Statistics_Service) USDA report, "All sheep and lamb inventory in the United States on July 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_1), 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005), totaled 7.80 million head, 2 percent above July 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_1), 2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004). Breeding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeding) sheep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep) inventory at 4.66 million head on July 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_1), 2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005) was 2 percent above July 1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_1), 2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004)." Sheep and Lamb Inventory, US data. Released (http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/current/Shee/Shee-07-22-2005.txt)July 22 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_22), 2005. By virtue of the fact that coyote populations are typically many times greater and more widely distributed than those of wolves, coyotes cause more overall predation losses. Additionally, an Idaho census taken in 2005 showed that individual coyotes were 20 times less likely to attack livestock than individual wolves.[44] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-relative-43)

Coyotes will typically bite the throat just behind the jaw and below the ear when attacking adult sheep or goats, with death commonly resulting from suffocation. Blood loss is usually a secondary cause of death. Calves and heavily fleeced sheep are killed by attacking the flanks or hind-quarters, causing shock and blood loss. When attacking smaller prey, such as young lambs and kids, the kill is made by biting the skull and spinal regions, causing massive tissue and ossular damage. Small or young prey may be completely carried off, leaving only blood as evidence of a kill. Coyotes will usually leave the hide and most of the skeleton of larger animals relatively intact unless food is scarce, in which case they may leave only the largest bones. Scattered bits of wool, skin and other parts are characteristic where coyotes feed extensively on larger carcasses.[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-CP-11)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/73/Coyote_with_typical_hold_on_lamb.jpg/250px-Coyote_with_typical_hold_on_lamb.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coyote_with_typical_hold_on_lamb.jpg)
Coyote with a typical throat hold on domestic sheep.

Coyote predation can usually be distinguished from dog or coydog predation by the fact that coyotes partially consume their victims. Tracks are also an important factor in distinguishing coyote from dog predation. Coyote tracks tend to be more oval-shaped and compact than those of domestic dogs, plus, claw marks are less prominent and the tracks tend to follow a straight line more closely than those of dogs. With the exception of sighthounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sighthound), most dogs of similar weight to coyotes have a slightly shorter stride.[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-CP-11) Coyote kills can be distinguished from wolf kills by the fact that there is less damage to the underlying tissues. Also, coyote scats tend to be smaller than wolf scats.[45] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-44)

Coyotes are often attracted to dog food and animals that are small enough to appear as prey. Items like garbage, pet food and sometimes even feeding stations for birds and squirrels will attract coyotes into backyards. Approximately 3 to 5 pets attacked by coyotes are brought into the Animal Urgent Care hospital of South Orange County each week, the majority of which are dogs, since cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat) typically do not survive the attacks.[46] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-AOP-45) Scat analysis collected near Claremont, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claremont,_California) revealed that coyotes relied heavily on pets as a food source in winter and spring.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-AOH-38) At one location in Southern California, coyotes began relying on a colony of feral cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cat) as a food source. Over time, the coyotes killed most of the cats and then continued to eat the cat food placed daily at the colony site by citizens who were maintaining the cat colony.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-AOH-38) Coyotes attack smaller or similar sized dogs and they have been known to attack even large, powerful breeds like the Rottweiler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler) in exceptional cases[47] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote#cite_note-46). Dogs larger than coyotes are usually able to capably defend themselves, although small breeds are more likely to suffer injury or be killed by such attacks.

This is for urban management of coyotes in Illinois, but it does mention California coyotes a couple of times and only the ones in SoCal.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/b929/pdf/b929.pdf

Most extreme, and relatively rare, are cases where coyotes attack people. The majority of cases involve younger children. Most attacks have occurred in the Southwest, especially southern California, where coyotes have lived in suburbs for decades. The only fatal case of a coyote attack in recent history occurred in 1981 in a Los Angeles suburb. In Midwestern metropolitan areas where coyotes are a relatively recent phenomenon, coyote attacks on people are still isolated and rare.

What Creates Nuisance Coyotes?
Those coyotes that became nuisances during our study typically became habituated through feeding by people. In other words, people were feeding wildlife and either intentionally, or unintentionally, fed coyotes. Once coyotes associated human buildings or yards with food, they increased daytime activities and thus were seen more easily by people.
In those areas in southern California where attacks have been more common, researchers have reported a higher frequency of human-related food in the diet of nuisance coyotes. This was indicative of feeding by people, or coyotes seeking food in garbage. In either case, it is becoming apparent that feeding of coyotes should be
discouraged. A common pattern for many human attacks has been feeding prior to the incident — in many cases intentional feeding.

AussieMama
06-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Lexi:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r174/KAKrickbaum/Lexi_Dive1.jpg

Christine, foster definitely looks like a Dingo! :D

That picture made me laugh out loud. Great action shot. :roll1:

k9blueheeler
06-22-2009, 03:04 AM
I do know that the coyotes in WA state living in rural or urban settings will pack for part of the year. They have been know to take down Llamas who are normally know to be able to take on one and be okay. In packs, forget it.

We've had a child bit in Bellevue the 4th largest city. When they are in packs they are very skilled in killing larger animals than they are. They are solitary animals most of the time. What's worse here are the cougars who are becoming very bold and jumping into fenced backyards to get a small animals.

TexasCDLorenz
06-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I guess the table has been turned for coyotes in this area. Huge numbers of stray domestic dogs, feral hogs, and almost anyone with a gun will shoot one. More than half the people I know have had one stuffed by the taxidermist (sp?)
I'm sorry that mans Rottie died, but it sounds like what happened to my old blue Heeler, who died in Nov. after we had a dog fight here- she was old and had heart trouble- she wasn't killed by any of the other dogs- her heart gave out. I think it actually says she died of a heart attack.
We also have abundant food for wild predators. My own dogs killed a rabbit this weekend:s4:
I'm REALLY glad we don't have mountain lions! They live in West Texas- and I hope they stay out there!

cowdogs4me
01-24-2010, 09:58 PM
I woke up early saturday morn 4:00am to lots of major coyote howling. I went out with flashlights to light the yard, but found nothing.
I found the kill sight this am when the sun came up, as it had snowed. Scuffle marks and a line of bunny poop.

No longer funny. We just took the pups out for a long run on the hill in our back yard just before dark. We all came in and looked out the back window.
This is what we saw...
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x187/luvcowdogs/203.jpg

We watched the Coyote run across the yard and jump the fence! Holy crap!
I have to run the dogs, or they will get bored and chew and fight etc...I thought my double gated yard was safe. Major wake-up call.

EJA
01-24-2010, 11:04 PM
PLEASE let us know, how high is your fence? I WAS sitting here feeling secure with the 6' no climb, but now I am worried. I am wondering if coyotes can make it over the 6'. Although, it may be easier to go around to hunt elsewhere. The dogs do go outside during the night by themselves. The porch lights are on, but......

We have a pack of resident coyotes, who have pups every Spring. Until now, I have enjoyed their singing. EJ

littleroads
01-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Coyotes are pretty determined and could probaby jump a 6-foot fence if they had a mind to, but if there are enough other small prey animals where you are (rabbits, squirrels, etc.), they probably would not go after your dogs in favor of the other. However, I remember that you do have another smaller dog, so I think lights on would be good - and you may wish to turn on a radio outside as well while your dogs are out. The extra noise might be enough to deter them along with the fence and lights.

EJA
01-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Yes, two little one - Shih Tsu, one yummy bite and unfortunately she was born without a brain. But, she is my late husband's rescue so I will take care of her. And the other a Boston, who is way too smart for her own good. She would probably, streak back through the doggy door.

I can't really lock the doggy door to keep them in, because Casper is just now starting to understand how to go in and out. Okay, now I will get the coat and shoes and go with them. Hate those 3 AM pee-pee runs. EJ

cowdogs4me
01-24-2010, 11:37 PM
We are installing two more motion lights in the back tomorrow. We are double fenced. It jumped a 4 foot fence with a 1 foot chicken wire on the top. It just jumped over like it was nothing!.

dingoridge
01-24-2010, 11:40 PM
That's the safest thing, EJ, is go out with them but it sounds like a coyote could easily jump your 6' wall and could, if hungry, take the dog right under your nose--be careful. We are getting them here in the east as well, supposedly brought in here--who knows why but I can tell you, I don't enjoy hearing them because they aren't native and they will kill our companion animals. They have taken cats right off an owner's porch in Charlotte--NC--not New Mexico. I guess I don't have a good attitude about them, at all, I would have no problem taking them out with a 22 between the eyes, especially if I see them in my pasture or my yard. It may not "control" them but the one I see won't be here anymore. JMO, others may not agree but I'm for protecting my own. I know people in town can't do that--I'd trap them and dispose of them, again JMO.
J

littleroads
01-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Remember also that they are bold enough to come out in the daytime as well, they are not just nocturnal. Supervision in any case would be best.

EJA
01-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Thank you, but not the reply I wanted to hear.

Lots of raccoons here, I have live trapped and relocated seven to the Chowchilla River where there are no houses for them to bother. One was bold enough to come through the doggy door, walk through the kitchen and enter the kitty door into the pantry where dog and cat food is stored. Too bad coyotes do not eat raccoons.

Not many mice, rats, gophers, squirrels, etc. around here this time of the year, nor even around our place as our barn cats take care of the varmints. Guess no choice except go with them even in the day time. EJ As usual, Thank guys.

b.limey
01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
I`m in Arizona. People are always bitching about Coyotes that snatch up their small dogs and cats. What they fail to understand is that the Coyotes were there long before people. People chose to develop the land and encroach on the habitat of the wild creatures. Coyote proof your house and yard or MOVE!

autiger23
01-25-2010, 03:22 AM
EJ, you can make some coyote rollers to put on top of your fence. There's a thread on here that shows pictures of how to make your own. I've heard/seen video that shows coyotes not being able to get over a fence with the coyote rollers on top because they use the top top of the fence to get up/make sure they are good to go over. There's a web site that sells the coyote rollers- fancy pretty ones. You can see more what they are about there, but it's a lot cheaper to head to Lowes and make your own.

http://www.coyoteroller.com/

RedBlueHeelerRoo
01-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Pretty picture cowdogs !

We have a lot of coyotes in this area. they got into my uncles garden- he caught them eating his melons- weird- they seem to have a thing for watermelons & cantalopes:s4:

We had decided not to bother planting any this year, when they are ready to be picked something eats the entire melon in one night, never thought about the coyotes, we thought raccoons and possums.

TexasCDLorenz
01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
EJ- check into the coyote rollers! They work! I would however, keep a close eye on any tiny dog.
By the way- coyotes DO eat raccoons (but not nearly enough) Raccoons are the reason I don't have a dog door! They will come right in, like little monkeys, tearing everything up!
As for gardens- I've heard a lot of people say they found coyotes eating their melons:lol: We are over-run with rabbits at certain times of the year,so it is funny to think that they would take a break from rabbit hunting to snack on a watermelon?
EJ- don't be afraid to run the coyotes off, if they get into your yard. They are cowards. Install some flood lights & coyote rollers and you should be safe. Before I let my dogs outside in the morning ( One of my feedings is at 4am) I turn on the floodlights and go outside alone, making lots of noise. This is to scare away skunks, who keep getting through my fence. Good thing I don't have any close neighbors! HA!
The coyotes no longer come up and sniff my Heelers. They are afraid of my Rottenhound, although she doesn't act aggressive to them anymore, but let her see a wild hog and WOW- look out! I ask someone why the coyotes didn't get rid of the wild hogs, but one game warden told me the hogs are too big and too aggressive. Something else we are over-run with! Very distructive & very aggressive- they also are going into the city limits! But unlike the coyotes, they are not native to this area.

snowrebby611
01-25-2010, 02:12 PM
We had coyotes bad in our area in CT we lived in the far northern eastern corner in the middle of nowhere. and when we moved I let my cat out like usual and he never came back :( I was sooo heartbroken Koda and I went for some long hikes to see if we could find him and we did and it was even sadder that we did find him. Poor kittie kittie we miss our bestfriend. Its kinda funny b/c my horse doesn't like the sounds of coyotes howling. Do coyotes attack horses??? He'd get real tense if he heard a coyotes howls getting closer

jyocom
01-25-2010, 02:27 PM
People are always bitching about Coyotes that snatch up their small dogs and cats. What they fail to understand is that the Coyotes were there long before people. People chose to develop the land and encroach on the habitat of the wild creatures.

Totally agree. While I felt sorry for the lady who lost her pug (I think) while walking in the greenspace, I did not sympathize with her call for action against coyotes on our community bulletin board. The city allowed a huge development to be put up in the hills near town, and where the heck are the coyotes supposed to go? They are doing what they need to survive.

As to how far the coyotes can jump, Eric saw one coming over our fence one evening. It is at least 6 feet tall. We always accompany Enzo, even though I think he could hold his own against one coyote, if there is a pack then all bets are off.

autiger23
01-25-2010, 02:42 PM
As to how far the coyotes can jump, Eric saw one coming over our fence one evening. It is at least 6 feet tall.

Jen, did he see it using the top of the fence to get over? That's what I've heard they do and have seen a couple videos on it. That's why the coyote rollers work. I don't have personal experience with it but I think a few on the board do. Might be something you all would want to look into as well. One of the board members' husband made their own and put up pictures so that you could see how to do it yourself. I need to find that thread.

eyocom
01-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Yep it jumped the fence just like Enzo does smaller ones. Hooked the top of the fence with its front-paws and in one motion pulled itself up and launched out with the back legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNM2NM8tJAw

NOTE: I did not listen to the Audio so I have no idea what is said in the above video.

-Eric

autiger23
01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks, Eric! I was hoping that was the case. Those top fitting coyote rollers look pretty cool. When I get a place, I'm definitely putting those up. May not be necessary since I'm either putting up an 8 or 10 ft fence to keep moose out (hopefully), but it's good to know they'd work if I need them.

Bluerules
01-25-2010, 05:28 PM
We have Coyotes in our city and they get HUGE, big as shepherds without a doubt. We have a large revine that runs right thru the city but never-the-less I live in the north central part of the city and they are still all over. If a emergency vechile sirien whizzes by you can hear all the Coyotes yippin. just blocks from my house! They run in packs in the city and reach WELL over 30#s each 50+ is more like it. As for the pit mix that was attacked by one I totally believe it. Coyotes are born fighting and having to learn how to survive, the pit was probably just trying to get away not fight. Coyotes are wild animals and more then likely have been in many fights to survive while our pampered pooches no matter how big probably haven't been in any. That being said Sydneys dad "Red" lived on a farm was 13 and had been in MANY fights with Coyotes the he was all scared up head to toe and one of his ears had been pretty badly mangled by one too.. the owners said they would find dead coyotes killed by him though O.O our city puts out ads and warnings every year about the Coyotes.. keeps cats indoors and no matter how big your dog keep him on a leash.. the Coyotes run in packs and can take down even a large dog and they DO lure them into the bush where they can all attack and kill the dog.

cowdogs4me
01-25-2010, 06:31 PM
I am feeling much better after reading all these posts. I went to work today and everbody was telling me to buy a 22. I dont have a gun unless it has water in it.

I went to look at the fence they jumped over. My neighbors yard has a big durt pile for them to jump on. How nice.

I do agree that I moved in to a place that Coyotes live. We also have had Raccoons come in the doggy doors. Wild life were here before us.

I had to buy a rural home for my rescue. I will just have to learn how to co-exist.

p.s. My hubby just came home and said I must note that the fences are two feet apart. The coyote cleared them no problem.

Ngasha
01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
On a related note, I have had a couple of people ask me if Tex is a coyote when we are out on a walk (and another refer to him as a "hyena" from a distance).....:doh:

Well we had a kid run up to us while we were walking Miss Patchy in the park, and he suddenly stopped with a disappointed look on his face. He blurted out, "Did anybody ever tell you your dog looks like a pig?!" Uh-oh, Miss Patchy, we need to work harder on that DIET!

We have also had people ask if she is a wolf, and we were convinced at first that Moosie is a coyote. Capt. Jack gets a reaction best called "shock and awe." Only Mad Max is infallibly recognized as "look at the blue heeler!";)

snowrebby611
01-25-2010, 07:49 PM
One day when Koda was about 6months old him and hisbest friend this old Black Lab Maxx decided that the 40acre farm we lived on was not enough space to roam and went for a nice long walk! Well as im running around thru the woods listening for the jingle in their collars i'd come up to the street and people would pull over and go hey did you loose a coyote and a lab?? and a few other people askd if I lost a wolf lol!! koda and maxx made it home well before I did! and were sleeping in their beds when i finally got in the door lol!

cowdogs4me
01-25-2010, 09:39 PM
I just took all ten of my Cattledogs out at once. I think this will help.
"Say hello to my little friends":grr::idea::p::devil::sly::stinkwad2::pirateacd::s mileywink:

EJA
01-26-2010, 12:02 AM
I did look up the "coyote rollers". Good idea.

When we (3 dogs and I) went out at 4:15 AM, the coyotes were singing up a storm. Our back yard is about a 1/4 acre. One one side is slopes STEEPLY from the fence, , down to the road; on the upper side there is a row of Layland Cypress which makes a solid screen from one end to the other, pushing limbs through the no climb. So I could install c.r. along just the one side toward the driveway and over by the barn and feel pretty safe. There is certainly a compulsion on my part to do so now that I have read your posts. Thanks, guys. EJ

ScrubbyCreek
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
<Clip>.... They have taken cats right off an owner's porch in Charlotte--NC--not New Mexico.
J

They're a growing concern here in Pinehurst as well and are being seen quite often on the golf courses. There's an interesting discussion going on about them on our local newspaper's website that I've been following, it seems to be the 'well educated' vs the 'local golfers' (IMO). Out here in Seven Lakes we have more than that to worry about - we've had big cat sightings (I've witnessed myself), and bear sightings along with the coyote sightings.

TexasCDLorenz
01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Did anyone see the special on wolves & coyotes on the Animal Planet last night? It explained a lot on why we all have different experiences and opinions. Biologist believe that coyotes have crossed with wolves in the Northern US & Canada. They also talked about the problem in California, where the coyotes have no where to go, with houses everywhere. They are so adaptable, they are becoming more accustomed to living with humans with every generation, seeing pets as easy prey. I felt very sorry for one lady that lost her beautiful cat, but if you let a cat outdoors, where you know there are predators, then what can you expect? If I were not allergic to cats and could have one, I would not let it outside. One child was actually killed in a neighborhood where someone was feeding the coyotes. Feeding coyotes and letting your two yr old outside alone is not the best idea! We fortunately don't have any problem with them here, they come down my fence every night, but I worry about them breeding with the stray dogs. The Animal Planet program also discussed the issues of injured wild animals (one of the attacks on humans was by an injured animal) I've noticed a coyote with an injured leg, looks to be half-grown, using only 3 legs. She is hanging out with a group of feral domestic dogs. If she comes into season, I'm afraid we will have some hybrids that will cause trouble. She is skitish, but the dogs are not afraid of humans at all.

dingoridge
01-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Out here in Seven Lakes we have more than that to worry about - we've had big cat sightings (I've witnessed myself), and bear sightings along with the coyote sightings.

Very true, there have been bears spotted just west of Charlotte so we have them from the mountain side of the state and of course there have been black bears for years and years in eastern NC--so the piedmont is getting squeezed between both areas. So far no confrontations (that I know of) but always that chance, especially with all the garbage cans in suburbia.

We have huge Bobcats here--there's been Bobcats spotted here for probably 80 years or so (from the stories and ones killed by the old timers).
J

Mel2001
01-27-2010, 02:24 PM
I haven't uploaded the photos yet, but my DH built & installed homemade coyote rollers in our dog run TO KEEP NASH IN. Well, they don't deter Nash one bit and he was still scaling the inside gate & climbing out of the run. So, DH put a sheet of plexiglass on the "X" frame of the dog gate. That seemed to work, but now Nash just clambors up the CORNER of the dog run fence and manages to still scramble out and go on "Nashventures" in our cul-de-sac.

We've got coyotes, bobcats, rattlesnakes, foxes, etc. but Nash doesn't mind. He's looking for ME, then bunnies & birds. Just yesterday my son fed the pups, left them in the garage/dog run, and forgot to let Nash back inside. I came home 20 mins. later to find Nash running (happily) down our neighbors' huge front yard/hillside as I was driving onto our street. He saw my car and waited for me to pull over, open the back door, and let him in.

[email protected] DOG!!!!!!

littleroads
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
How about a no-jump harness for Nash while he is outside in his run?

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Pet-Products-Jump-Harness/dp/B00061MO5W

http://www.jbpet.com/No-Jump-Harness%2C1868.html

Mel2001
01-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks, Ei. We may get one of those. I've been keeping Nash in the backyard, and he's been good. It's when he's in the dog run and wants to go looking for me, that we have problems. Personally, I think Nash is training ME so that I'll take him when I go into town...!

:lol:

cowdogs4me
01-27-2010, 09:33 PM
I got told today at work that coyotes dont like human urine. I got my hubby and boys juggs of water and told them to get busy. They have 1 1/2 acre to do!

Okay, I am kidding about the juggs of water. I do live close to a Cabelas and a scheels. I am goona go there and ask if there is a synthetic(sp) version that will work.

Guess I could look in to a cap gun or Super soaker!

RedDirtRoad
01-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I got told today at work that coyotes dont like human urine. I got my hubby and boys juggs of water and told them to get busy. They have 1 1/2 acre to do!

Okay, I am kidding about the juggs of water. I do live close to a Cabelas and a scheels. I am goona go there and ask if there is a synthetic(sp) version that will work.

Guess I could look in to a cap gun or Super soaker!

Honestly if a coyote wants something bad enough, they'll take it.

I had posted on this thread, and I dunno if it didnt post, or was deamed inapropro... but my family we hunt them. And you'll find some that do not want to back down.

The coyotes around here, I do not trust in the least.

p.s. make the boys water the lawn =p I know some here who would stand out and play cornhole drinking and by the end of the night would have sprayed the entire area twice lol

littleroads
01-28-2010, 12:28 AM
I had posted on this thread, and I dunno if it didnt post, or was deamed inapropro

Nope, didn't see the post, must not have come through.

Coyotes are legal to hunt here too.