PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's first camping trip (pictures)

Songbird
06-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Ozzie has now been broken in to camping - and he loved it! We had reserved a large group camp in the mountains. There were several families (all relatives) - including 5 children. We had the whole campground to ourselves. Since Ozzie has issues dealing with strangers, I was worried - but by Day 3 he understood what we expected from him. He tried "herding" the children at first (nipping at their heels) - but after being reprimanded and crated or tethered each time he tried herding, he figured out it was best to refrain from the herding. By the end of the trip (Day 5) he was romping and playing with the kids and doing his routine of "tricks" (shake hands, roll over, etc.) with the adults. He never wandered away from our campsite without us and he LOVED the priviledge of getting to sleep in the trailer with us (on the bed at our feet) - something he can't do at home because the cats already had claimed that spot 11 years ago. He hiked, swam in the stream, climbed rocks, and he even got to play in a little snow! He went bonkers in the snow. He was scared of it at first, then he started doing cartwheels and somersaults in it. Having him along made the trip so much more fun - it was like having kids again! He has come a long way in the 5 months since we rescued him.

Songbird
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Here are some more camping pictures. We camped at Big Silver Fork near Union Valley Reservoir in the mountains about 1 hour east of Sacramento.

Songbird
06-15-2009, 05:24 PM
And more....

dingoridge
06-15-2009, 05:29 PM
How fantastic, and it's especially sweet after reading your first posts about him and your concerns about him. You are great to have worked through everything Ozzie needed, gave him needed discipline and especially love. The rewards are so great------he looks very happy, love the back sleeping, and so happy to hear how well he adjusted to the kids. Good for you, Ozzie!!!
J

Beth99
06-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Great pictures, looks like so much fun and having the dog(s) along always makes it better. :) I love the pic of Ozzie sleeping on his back, he looks very happy.

You've done a great job working with Ozzie and getting him socialized. :)

Songbird
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
It really moves me when I think that 5 months ago he was one day away from being euthanized. He is just the most entertaining and awesome dog! He is still far from perfect, but his improvement just in the last 2 months is amazing. The more we get him around people, the better. He still throws up when riding in the car, but he takes it in stride. We tried Dramamine for this trip - and he still threw up. But he bounces right back as soon as we let him out of the crate. He challenges my husband for alpha role all the time - and he seems happiest when hubby "shows" him who the "top dog" is. He absolutely adores my husband - and he respects him. I'm still his "love" and the one he follows from room to room, but he loves his wild play time with my husband. When we get back to the house after being out, he runs to the front door, but now he sits and waits for us to enter first rather than plowing in ahead of us. When the doorbell rings, he barks and growls, but he sits and waits for our instruction rather than attacking the poor person at the door. This is one smart dog! He won the battle over being crated at night - now he sleeps on the back porch in his own bed - and he's very happy with that arrangement. He goes right into his crate when we go in the car, though. We had a big backyard party with lots of people last month - and we kept him in the backyard in the crate most of the time (so he could get used to being around people without us worrying about him biting anyone). He just needs a lot of socialization.

YogiBear
06-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Glad things are going well with him. Our male gets horribly car sick. I finally tried ginger pills and they solved the problem. He's 63 lbs so I've been giving him 2. What I do is start like 2 days before giving him 2 w/ every meal so that by the time he's in the car it is really in his system. Mrs YB

Beth99
06-15-2009, 07:02 PM
For the carsickness, you also might try seat belting him in the car rather than having him ride in the crate. Darcy got carsick in the crate, but once he rode outside the crate he never got carsick.

When I had him ride outside the crate, I put a bunch of blankets under him for the first few trips just in case he got sick, but he never did.

Songbird
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
In the 5 months we've had Ozzie, we've tried every car sickness remedy from ginger to lavender oil to anti-anxiety herbal pills. We've had him ride seatbelted and in the crate. We tried taking him on daily short rides for a month. Nothing has helped. He needs to get out and experience things, so I take him anyway - we just have to accept that he will drool excessively and throw up when riding in a car. It makes obedience classes difficult because he won't eat for about an hour after riding in the car (his tummy is too sick) - so we can't use treats to train him in class. Luckily we've been doing great training him on our own at home. Now when we take him riding, he lays in his crate with the saddest expression, but he never cries or whines, even when he gets sick. He's very noble about it and he goes right into the crate as soon as we open the car door.

lauralu
06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
AWESOME!!! I am so happy you stuck by him and worked through his issues, and I KNOW he is happy too!!!

dingoridge
06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
He "may" outgrow his car sickness--who knows but you are dealing with it just fine. It's worth it all to get him out and socialize him, you've done a wonderful job in taking that on. It does amaze us all in rescue when we look at these dogs so close to death and what great dogs and companions they have become--super rewarding.

His "challenges" of your husband are almost like a game--"can I do it today--can I get one over on him", knowing that he can't and really he wouldn't like being first--so you are doing fine in dealing with his quirks--the smartest dogs are the ones who never stop thinking and they make the greatest companion--for the same reason. Thanks to you from Ozzie.
J

k9blueheeler
06-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Those are some nice shots. I am glad that Ozzie is doing better. The car sickness he may outgrow. I had an Afghan Hound that outgrew it around a year and a half. He loved to ride in the car too. Glad to hear that you all had a great time.

3blues
06-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Indy outgrew his car sickness. He's 3 years old now but within the first year as we took him out more & more he figured out if he went to sleep he didn't get sick. And now he's able to sit up & look around at his surroundings. He's getting really interested in what's outside as we drive by so he's looking out the window all the time. He also sniffs the air, I leave the window cracked so he can smell everything. :biggrin2:

Songbird
06-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Ozzie has turned my hubby into an ACD-lover. I've always wanted one, even though I was aware of the difficulties that come with this breed. When I brought Oz home, I didn't tell my husband much about them. A couple of months ago, he suggested that eventually we get a second dog - but NOT another ACD. Now he's telling me that we really should find another ACD or ACD mix to add to the family next year! Ozzie has converted him. Next summer we'll probably look for another rescue. I'd like to find a young blue female. So far he's gotten along great with every female dog he's met.

Mel2001
06-16-2009, 11:23 AM
BEAUTIFUL camping photos - thanks for sharing them! The ones of Ozzie being able to simply relax are wonderful.

I had to laugh about your comment on getting another ACD. You know the "potato chip" saying...!

dingoridge
06-16-2009, 12:09 PM
That's what ACDs do, they try the stuffings out of you for a couple of months, they find their place in your "pack" and if you are of the type that can deal with an ACD, then they wiggle their way into your heart with their brilliance and affection and you'd never have anything else. Some people aren't ACD people, they never will be, they don't understand them, they can't deal with the intelligence of this breed in that they are trying you out, trying to find out their boundaries (and that's what they are doing--not so much trying to defeat you but find where they belong) and the new ACD owners give up. There isn't a more devoted breed, JMO. I had rather deal with an extremely smart dog who pushes to find boundaries than a less intelligent dog that isn't a thinker--but again, that's just me.
J

Songbird
06-16-2009, 05:43 PM
I must say - I don't know if I would have been able to hang in there during those first 2 months had it not been for the support and advice I got from this forum. I've never seen any dog breed with such a devoted following. It was so fascinating just watching his intensity while exploring the mountains last week. I have so much respect for dogs like this. He is definitely a "thinker"! You can't let him get away with anything, though - he will quickly take advantage!

dingoridge
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Sounds all ACD to me, a thinker and you can't let him get by with anything--yep, that's a good description. And thankfully you found this forum, both for you, your hubby and especially for Ozzie.

The photo is magnificent--he looks posed on the side of "his" mountain--master of all he can survey. Just think what you would have missed if you had given up on him, there is a special privilege in sharing time with such intelligent dogs (and funny, there isn't a day mine don't do something that has me laughing), and especially what Ozzie would have missed--a perfect, loving family all his own. I think a second ACD is definitely in your future. Yep, let the fun began.
J

michael
06-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Great photos - looks like fun.

TexasCDLorenz
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm so glad you didn't give up on Ozzie too! So many people want a perfect dog, and IMO, that does not exist!
Loved the photos- my guys only see snow about once a year (and that is if we go somewhere else)
I've had to deal with car-sickness before, but the fun of the trip, seemed to make it all worth while.
When you are ready to get Ozzie a companion, we have a lot of rescues on this forum. Then you would know the dogs personality and all the work of house & obedience training has already been started- plus, you would be saving another life! And Ozzie has a GREAT life!:thumb_yello:

Songbird
06-18-2009, 03:41 PM
The most difficult thing we are dealing with now with Ozzie is the fact that he wants me to be his "bitch". Now he actually prefers being with my husband for playtime and rough-housing, but if I lay down, he wants to lay right next to me and he growls to keep my husband from moving him and assuming the "top dog" spot next to me. My husband calmly picks him up by the skin of his butt and neck, lays him down and holds him there while saying "who's your daddy!" Ozzie then kisses him and happily moves away from me. It's like he has to be constantly shown he is not top dog when it comes to me. What's worse, now he's started grabbing me from behind and actually trying to hump me - and he's been neutered. He only does the humping behavior with me and we're really working to put an end to that. He looks at me as his girl - his to guard and protect - like he owns me. I'm not sure how to cure this problem. He minds me really well, both on and off the leash, but he has such a cocky attitude.