PDA

View Full Version : Bad Mommy! Ivy graduates!

KAKZooKpr
06-06-2009, 12:06 PM
I am a bad Mom, I forgot to tell everyone that Ivy graduated from her first Obedience class this past Monday (June 1). Shame on me! :no:

We are repeating the beginner education for free, since the next level class wasn't being offered right away. The good part is that we are still expected to work at a higher level, than just starting the class from Day 1. For instance the first night Ivy had to maintain a downstay during class (to the best of her ability). She did pretty well. The Instructor said a cool thing when another student asked why Ivy was doing a behavior that her dog wasn't (a fellow repeater from our class). She said that Ivy was an ACD, which was like cheating since they are so smart! :thumb_yello: :biggrin2:

Poor Ivy still doesn't like to get in the car though. When I say it's time for class, she puts her ears down & slinks into her crate. :no: My other dogs have always been so excited to go somewhere & they all loved going to class. Ivy seems to be ok while we are there, she never barks at anyone and she loves getting treats. I don't know how to make it any better? If she doesn't like going, I don't want to make her keep doing it. I had hoped that she may eventually get into Agility, but who knows? I know that for many dogs obedience might be boring, but I don't know if it's that or if it's going places period. I'll be headed to WV on Friday & that is a loooong drive, she will not be pleased with that!

Thoughts on making things more fun?

Kristina

dingoridge
06-06-2009, 01:23 PM
The Instructor said a cool thing when another student asked why Ivy was doing a behavior that her dog wasn't (a fellow repeater from our class). She said that Ivy was an ACD, which was like cheating since they are so smart! :thumb_yello: :biggrin2:

Great comment from your instructor, Kristina, someone appreciates the smartness of this breed!!!!!

And about Ivy's traveling, I would just keep on keeping on, sometimes after a while a light bulb will go on and things suddenly change--or perhaps you will find an event she likes well enough to change. It's like many things in life, the dogs may not be excited about them but they are necesssary--so for right now, I would keep taking Ivy places and see if, as she ages, she gets a better attitude about it.
J

TexasCDLorenz
06-06-2009, 08:16 PM
My Rottie Bella always acted the same way, if we went somewhere new. She didn't want to get out of the van and looked so pitiful! But once I got her out and walked her around, she would perk up. I used to hide a new stuffed toy in my luggage when we went out of town. She started to expect a new toy every time we went to a hotel. She continued to act afraid even up to her last year of life. For 9yrs, we played this game- van stops- I open crate- she cowers and whines- I put the leash on her and tell her to come. She would be nervous when first exiting the van, but would perk up as we walked along. Ivy may just be unsure of where she is going. She will be much more excited about agility class.
Congrats on your graduation! :thumb_yello:

KAKZooKpr
06-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks! :)

Kristina

lauralu
06-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Congratulations Ivy!!! :thumb_yello:

k9blueheeler
06-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah Ivy. Nothing like taking a dog to obedience classes. All of mine have gone to class. Two of them have gone through Advanced Classes. Draco, my show dog has only had his 2 puppy classes and Beginning Obedience Classes. I will take him through Advance Classes when he is a finished Champion.

Then we will also start working on Rally Classes. I was a happy camper when my dogs passed classes. I have actually seen people have to repeat since their dogs didn't pass.(More handlers not passing). Once again Congrats. on the Graduation of Beginners Obedience.

Nevada001
06-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Try taking Ivy for a short ride, like around the block and home again. When you get home give a big YES, treat and play with her. I start all the pups out with short rides and finish with something very fun. From there we proceed to a little longer ride to a fun place like the lake. I do the same thing at the vets. Before coming home from the lake I take each one into the office, put them on the scale to weigh, then a big YES treat and leave the office. See if the short ride works for Ivy.

Congrats on Ivy's graduation :thumb_yello:

Jean & Crew

CrazyCatlady
06-13-2009, 10:13 PM
How awesome that Ivy is a star pupil! I agree with short trips with a reward at the destination. Hopefully it will make the trips more positive for her. :)