PDA

View Full Version : we had the worst walk of our life

mycattlekids
06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
man what a walk. I took Angus and Emma to our wetlands for a walk. We have been walking there more often because there are less mosquitos to deal with. We'll ok, we get there (the old girl can't go because its to far for her), and I see a storm is brewing. I decide to walk 1/2 mile in then come out just in case it rains. We made it the half mile in and all of a sudden the storm hits full bore. this first half mile is like walking on a jetty at the beach. You have a lake on one side and a river on the other side. I run off the bridge because we are out in the open. It starts thundering the loud stuff and instead of rain we get hail.. I run with the dogs, Emma grabbing the leash bouncing up and down thinking this is really fun. Angus is totally worried by this point. We sit under some scrub brush, small willow trees. We couldn't get to far under them because we are surrounded by stinging needles. And I thought about an umbrella.:thumbdown: SO the wind picks up making all the trees go totally sideways and me getting pelted by hail because I gave the dogs the best spot. Then these trees and branches start falling all the way down the trail we are suppose to be going to get to the car. I can see the parking lot but it's so far away. I make small runs ducking under these not so great brushy trees with Emma still pulling on the leash slowing me down. At one point I had to go in the open to go around bigger trees that fell. NOt huge ones but enough to get in the way.The trail is big enough for a vehicle to drive through so its totally open out there. The thunder is getting louder and the hail stops and it turns into rain so we make a dash for the car. Emma still pulling on the leash, Angus healing better than ever. We make it to the car and there are branches all over the parking lot but not on my car. We are drenched beyond anything we have been before. I make the 5 mile dash home and chasethe chickens around so I could put them up before the storm hits here. And we all made it...

lauralu
06-02-2009, 08:12 PM
whew!!! glad you all are safe. scary but it made for a great story...i was right there with you!!!

lucystrauss
06-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Wow, that sounds so scary! I'm glad you all made it home safely!!

Linda Watkins
06-02-2009, 08:32 PM
O.k. -- I love thunder storms when I'm sitting on the front porch watching it come over the mountains and I have my cocktail and snacks conveniently placed, and the dogs are safely crated so they aren't running around in a panic.

But your storm experience -- nah...I think I'd pass on that! Glad you all made it home o.k.

Ringtailroxy
06-02-2009, 08:48 PM
wow! what a story! I know exactrly how crazy good those adventures can be!
I had a similar experience with my Y Z several years ago.

We went hiking at our local county park, Easterlin. It's free on weekdays to get in, and it stays open until 8 during the summer months, so you can hike at dusk.

Well, it was a fine late Spring day in Sunny Florida. except it didn;t stay so sunny. it was overcast, but with patches of clear blue & sunshine. I expected, at most, a brief 'sunshower'.

The hiking trails is 2 miles long, and paralleles the roadway of the park, weaves around picnic areas, & even borders the railroad tracks.

We starts off, Y Z & I, and are having a ball. Since it has been sprinkling, the trails are a mite muddy & so foot traffic was extremely slow.as in we had the trails to ourselves!

Y Z had amazing recall, so i let him off his lead. (yes, irresponsible, i know, but i knew Y Z and so did the park rangers, and since there had never been a complaint, the rangers winked and looked away)

shortly after we pass the 1st mile marker, the sky looms ominously dark over the forest we just walked out of. we have to cut thru a marshy field to the south of the bike trails, (too steep & rocky) to get to the camping grounds and a roadway back to the car.

after a few moments in the open, it begins to pour. not rain. not buckets of rain. buckets of pour.

Y Z thought this was great, I always swore he had labrador in him somewhere, he loved water so much! he was prancing around, getting frisky, and being a bit adventurous, sneaking off thru the brush and racing back, leaping after bullfrogs, peeing on ever blade of grass over 4 inches high...

at a moment when Y Z was about 30 feet away from me (I could see his goofy, raccoon striped tail flapping laily, held erect) the hairs on the back of my neck went up, and just beyond the river (besides the marsh we where walking thru, drenched) just a few dozen yards away or so, a bolt of lightening hit a tall object...
the earth literally shook, and the thunderclap was immediate after the flash of light...it was as if someone took a photo of me with a flash from behind me! my heart felt like it was a wild animal in my chest, down to my stomach, like the way a deep bass guitar or drum will reverbrate thru your body...i couldn't help but to scream, duck, and run for the bushes.

My dog was gone. I couldn't see him! I called his name with the command to COME.
Nothing.

I called again, more forcefully.

Again nothing.

I continued to call... i could hear him whining, under the ringing in my ears. After focusiong in on the whimpers (mind you, its storming like Niagara Falls) I FIND THE SOURCE OF THE PITIFUL SOUNDS.

My bravest of braves, my hero beyond heroes, Y Z, was hidden inside of a decomposing log, and i crouched besides him. his eyes where as large as coffee cup saucers and as we made eye contact we spoke without a sound-we both immediately ran along the brush to the trees, then jogged quickly thru the trails back to my car. he beat me, by a good bit...i never lost sight of him...but i saw that speckled hinney, tail no longer held proud, but tucked deep and the 'worried' acd look he often gave me as he glansed back to make sure i was coming.

i always have towels in the car, so i dried Y Z off and just sat on the towel as we drove away. my ears rang for the entire day, and Y Z always had a noise phobia afterwards...guns, fireworks, a car backfiring...it was his only true flaw.

rtr

mycattlekids
06-02-2009, 09:12 PM
wow! what a story! I know exactrly how crazy good those adventures can be!
I had a similar experience with my Y Z several years ago.

We went hiking at our local county park, Easterlin. It's free on weekdays to get in, and it stays open until 8 during the summer months, so you can hike at dusk.

Well, it was a fine late Spring day in Sunny Florida. except it didn;t stay so sunny. it was overcast, but with patches of clear blue & sunshine. I expected, at most, a brief 'sunshower'.

The hiking trails is 2 miles long, and paralleles the roadway of the park, weaves around picnic areas, & even borders the railroad tracks.

We starts off, Y Z & I, and are having a ball. Since it has been sprinkling, the trails are a mite muddy & so foot traffic was extremely slow.as in we had the trails to ourselves!

Y Z had amazing recall, so i let him off his lead. (yes, irresponsible, i know, but i knew Y Z and so did the park rangers, and since there had never been a complaint, the rangers winked and looked away)

shortly after we pass the 1st mile marker, the sky looms ominously dark over the forest we just walked out of. we have to cut thru a marshy field to the south of the bike trails, (too steep & rocky) to get to the camping grounds and a roadway back to the car.

after a few moments in the open, it begins to pour. not rain. not buckets of rain. buckets of pour.

Y Z thought this was great, I always swore he had labrador in him somewhere, he loved water so much! he was prancing around, getting frisky, and being a bit adventurous, sneaking off thru the brush and racing back, leaping after bullfrogs, peeing on ever blade of grass over 4 inches high...

at a moment when Y Z was about 30 feet away from me (I could see his goofy, raccoon striped tail flapping laily, held erect) the hairs on the back of my neck went up, and just beyond the river (besides the marsh we where walking thru, drenched) just a few dozen yards away or so, a bolt of lightening hit a tall object...
the earth literally shook, and the thunderclap was immediate after the flash of light...it was as if someone took a photo of me with a flash from behind me! my heart felt like it was a wild animal in my chest, down to my stomach, like the way a deep bass guitar or drum will reverbrate thru your body...i couldn't help but to scream, duck, and run for the bushes.

My dog was gone. I couldn't see him! I called his name with the command to COME.
Nothing.

I called again, more forcefully.

Again nothing.

I continued to call... i could hear him whining, under the ringing in my ears. After focusiong in on the whimpers (mind you, its storming like Niagara Falls) I FIND THE SOURCE OF THE PITIFUL SOUNDS.

My bravest of braves, my hero beyond heroes, Y Z, was hidden inside of a decomposing log, and i crouched besides him. his eyes where as large as coffee cup saucers and as we made eye contact we spoke without a sound-we both immediately ran along the brush to the trees, then jogged quickly thru the trails back to my car. he beat me, by a good bit...i never lost sight of him...but i saw that speckled hinney, tail no longer held proud, but tucked deep and the 'worried' acd look he often gave me as he glansed back to make sure i was coming.

i always have towels in the car, so i dried Y Z off and just sat on the towel as we drove away. my ears rang for the entire day, and Y Z always had a noise phobia afterwards...guns, fireworks, a car backfiring...it was his only true flaw.

rtr

wow that is scary. I'm glad he didn't run off to far and get lost. I am a worry wart and was wondering about the dogs wearing collars with metal on them. At home the collars are off during a storm. I have heard of horses wearing shoes during a storm dieing because of lightning but don't know if they are true or not. we have been having T storms every day this week and mroe to come so the dogs are getting used to the sounds.

Dominique
06-02-2009, 09:28 PM
O.k. -- I love thunder storms when I'm sitting on the front porch watching it come over the mountains and I have my cocktail and snacks conveniently placed, and the dogs are safely crated so they aren't running around in a panic.

But your storm experience -- nah...I think I'd pass on that! Glad you all made it home o.k.

I second that

dingoridge
06-02-2009, 10:04 PM
You do know that lightening isn't deterred by trees (or bushes), right???? That's why golfers are struck and killed by lightening, they are standing under trees!!!!!!!!!! And where there is thunder, there is lightening. Horses are killed standing under trees------WOW! Don't do that again----so glad you made it home ok and the dogs and chickens are fine--and you, of course.
J

mycattlekids
06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
You do know that lightening isn't deterred by trees (or bushes), right???? That's why golfers are struck and killed by lightening, they are standing under trees!!!!!!!!!! And where there is thunder, there is lightening. Horses are killed standing under trees------WOW! Don't do that again----so glad you made it home ok and the dogs and chickens are fine--and you, of course.
J

thank you for the concern. yes I know trees get hit by lightning all the time. I was trying to get away from the hail that was stinging us. the trees I was under were only maybe 25-30 feet tall, more bush type trees that are not the greatest wind blocks. the big pines were in the nettles and I was not getting near them. If I see or hear a storm near by I will not walk them again until its clear.

3blues
06-03-2009, 12:12 AM
So glad you and the dogs are OK! Wow what an adventure, scary yes, but it sounds like something out of a movie. :) As I read your post I pictured you & the dogs ducking & running, being pelted by hail, & then finally making it to your car. It sounds like a cool adventure if it hadn't been scary. :biggrin2: Glad you're alright though. :)

dingoridge
06-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Yes, I really was concerned about you, LOL, it seems anything taller than the ground is an attractor for lightening. I've seen the blue bolts come down and split trees--that image never leaves your mind. I've also been driving down the road and lightening strike a tree on the side of the road and I could feel my steering wheel tremble in my hand--like a tire shimmy--scary. Of course, a car is very grounded but still mother nature gets our attention. I was on a day trip for my job when a sudden, fierce storm came up about 20 minutes before I could get home, my dogs were out under tall oaks in their kennels--one of them had never been afraid of storms -- until that night. Lightening was cracking all around as I raced home to get them in the house; he was never unafraid after that night, terrified of lightening storms that came up after that.
J

Nevada001
06-03-2009, 07:14 AM
I don't know what is going on with this crazy weather. We have also had thunder storms over the weekend and now all during this week they forcast. :no:We were coming home from class yesterday when I heard the severe t-storm warning on the radio. Just made it in the house when it hit with hail and very heavy rain. Can't even imagine you out on the trail in that storm. My Lisa has never liked the storms and she went right into her crate but Jessie really surprised me. At first she barked then clamped her tail so tight. Have never seen her do that before. We have had storms before but this one was right over top of us and the thunder was so loud. It didn't seem to bother Katie or Edi. I was just glad we were all in the house. I like Linda's idea the best, maybe today we can give that a try.:thumb_yello:

Jean & Crew

DPinMD
06-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Wow, what a scary experience! I'm so glad to hear that you are all okay! (I know that frustrated feeling when you even thought about bringing an umbrella and then decided against it, but it sounds like with that wind, an umbrella wouldn't have been much good anyway!)

k9blueheeler
06-04-2009, 01:46 AM
I miss the good thunderstorms. We had them on the East Coast when I lived there. When I went to my 1st Nationals in 2006, my flight was cancelled due to weather. My travel partner and I decided once we got to our hotel to go and get something to eat just a few blocks down the street.

I had my 9 month old boy Draco with us and we walked. It started raining just a tad and then the sky broke wide open. We were soaking wet and not cold. The lighting storm was great. Draco was a happy puppy. He wasn't cramped in his kennel. The storm let up overnight somewhat and them hit up at Nationals a couple of days later.

I feel sorry for your experience. I know how scarey stuff like that can be. Strange that you're having thunderstorms and we're having a heat wave. Glad to hear that your okay.

Boofer69
06-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Thats an epic story mc :biggrin2: i loved it.

The worse walk of my life is every day i try to walk Boof. The first thing he does is grab his leash, in his mouth, while you walk him, and wont let go :no:

So in fact, he is walking me. Thinks he is bloody :character0028:

dingoridge
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I miss the good thunderstorms. We had them on the East Coast when I lived there.

:no: Hmmmm, boy I don't "miss the good thunderstorms". After having my house struck by lightening--knocked a hole in my den floor, where I was sitting at the time--and having a huge oak tree in my side yard struck by lightening--twice in different storms--I would LOVE to miss a thunderstorm. Not unusual to hear very close strikes here and the nights to look like 4th of July.
J

babswilde
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Gosh, both stories had me on the edge of my seat! We would love to have some rain down here. I'd even take some thunder, as we rarely ever hear any, except for maybe every few years. Glad you both were OK, recently, and in the past.

dickmar
06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I am glad everyone is safe after the storm. I for one don't care to be out in a thunder storm. If I hear one coming I head for home.