PDA

View Full Version : Dog agression

Rach-Maizy
06-01-2009, 10:20 PM
maizy has developed nastiness towards other dogs, but not all of them! she will play quite happily with some.. but im just wondering if anyone elses acd is like this? she throws a tantrum when you wont let her play but i am wary about letting her play because if she takes a disliking to a dog she will start on them...

jyocom
06-01-2009, 10:36 PM
How old is she? Fixed or not? Is it one out of fifteen dogs, or one out of three? Just like people, I am sure some dogs just don't like each other. If it is a rare thing, you can probably learn which dogs she does not like and simply keep her away from them. Remember that she can pick up on it when you are nervous, so you have to remain as calm as possible even when you are worried that she might start something. Also, is she well trained? Will she listen to you if you call her off? If not, start working very hard on training - lots of rewards when she pays attention to you!

We have a similar issue with Enzo with very specific dogs, but he will listen to us when we tell him to leave it. Then we simply move to the other side of the park and start playing a game with him.

lynelle
06-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Just another question, is it when the dogs are running? Molly hates when dogs get out of control but she is fine with them any other time, as long as the owner has control. Our other ACD Chief who was a rescue is really unpredictable around other dogs and we can't predict if he will react or not. But I think it is kind of normal for them to want to round up running dogs?

Rach-Maizy
06-01-2009, 10:56 PM
it is mainly when she is on lead, she shows aggression towards all dogs when on leads and some people
but when running at the park its probably 1 in 15 that she will start on
she is 9 months, not desexed but i am working on that (my parents dont want to desex her, i do)

lauralu
06-01-2009, 11:16 PM
it is mainly when she is on lead,

So many dogs have this type of aggression, it is quite common. Dogs are fight or flight when they get anxious. When you have your dog on lead you take away it's "flight" so it can only "fight."

Try to make sure the dogs are on an even playing field, if one dog is leashed, the other should be, or they should both be off.

My old ACD was like this...extremely leash aggressive to other dogs but fine off the leash. I found something she loved...the tennis ball, and used this as a distraction to focus her away from other dogs while she was on lead. Also, I knew that when she got tired she would get sassy...so I became really good at knowing when she had enough and I would take her out of the dog park or off the dog beach.

Your dog is still very young and is testing. Does she have a favorite treat? Carry the treats with you on your leash walk and give her one every time a dog approaches. She will learn to associate the approaching dog with something good.

Rach-Maizy
06-01-2009, 11:17 PM
she gets aggressive even when the other dog is onlead and on the other side of the road
or behind a fence
she throws her weight around to get to them and growls like crazy

lauralu
06-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Sounds EXACTLY like my Hayley girl!!!! Try the treats and see if it helps. Get something really yummy and stinky like hot dogs, liver or fish. If you have a pal w/ a dog, see if they can help you "practice" by walking by several times.

littleroads
06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Try to find a copy of "Feisty Fido" by Patricia McConnell. It is about leash aggression. Your library may have a copy - or it is available on amazon.com or dogwise.com.

It can be caused by fear - your dog may be afraid of those other dogs and knows she has no means of escape - her choices are fight or flight, and since "flight" is not an option, she chooses "fight". It usually involves you letting her know that you are in charge and can protect her, and can take that worry away from her so she can relax.

Bluerules
06-02-2009, 10:39 AM
same thing with my Oscar.. if we WALK to the dog park (instead of drive) and he's on lead and another dog comes up to us he's very aggressive but as soon as I let him off he runs around playing with the same dog he's aggressive with.. I just don't put him on lead around other dogs

TexasCDLorenz
06-02-2009, 12:47 PM
If your dog is unaltered- could she be coming into season? When our training club has unaltered dogs in class, I've noticed a change in behavior, just before they go into heat.
Keep working with her, until she understands that you don't need a body guard and she doesn't need to feel afraid. Have you had any classes? She needs to get used to being around other dogs on leash- seeing that nothing bad is going to happen. My dogs walk through crowded shows, with hundreds of other dogs- it just takes getting used to. Dogs should feel MORE secure while on leash. After your dog matures a little and realizes that the human is in control, she can settle.:thumb_yello:

aszrael1266
06-03-2009, 04:55 AM
My Shiner is kind of the same. She is a bit unpredictable around other dogs. Being on leash or off doesn't make a difference with her. I have noticed that if she walks with the dog she will be ok, but if they just meet up or meet up again with out walking together I can't really tell how she will react. She is great around people and very submissive around people just not dogs.

Mel2001
06-03-2009, 07:48 AM
My Shiner is kind of the same. She is a bit unpredictable around other dogs. Being on leash or off doesn't make a difference with her. I have noticed that if she walks with the dog she will be ok, but if they just meet up or meet up again with out walking together I can't really tell how she will react. She is great around people and very submissive around people just not dogs.

Our foster girl Pandora is the same way, even w/our three dogs. MOST of the time the pack is fine...until someone gets grumpy. Then they start in on Pandora, and she doesn't back down. :fryingpan: