PDA

View Full Version : Most effective Bark Stopper?

YogiBear
06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Aloha,

My next door neighbor says our 3 heelers bark too much at all times of the day and night. Since someone is home most of the time we know how much they are NOT barking. They may not bark for 8-10 hrs but may bark 2x in a hr on occassion. They seldom bark at night unless someone is out front of our property but may do so a few times a day depending on the day and other dogs barking or whatever may be going on nearby that they alert to. Considering all the other dogs in the neighborhood (8-9 dogs nearby) that bark we don't feel he has anything to complain about as from what we can hear from other dogs barking ours seem to bark considerably less and seldom bark just because other dogs are. From day one he has complained about something (other than the dogs). They went on line and even did research on ACDs. He kind of hinted that they didn't belong where we just moved to as they are high energy dogs. We do give them 1-3 hrs excercise each day to elevate the energy.

Soooo, in an effort to try to be "good" neighbors(we moved in on Apr 1, 2009), we keep the kids inside as much as possible in the evenings/night and do tell them to be quiet whenever they bark. We would like to know how other people on this forum handle barking problems. So, what is the most effective Bark Stopper?

lauralu
06-01-2009, 03:33 PM
The only thing that works for me when I am NOT home, is the Lemon Spray Bark collar. Otherwise, I go outside and tell them to be quiet and they do.

My collar is made by Petsafe, it works really well! It is great for multi dog households since it works off the vibration caused by the barking of the dog wearing it. The collars that work with a microphone are not good for multi dog households as the other dog barking could set off the quiet dog's collar.

http://www.petsafe.net/

autiger23
06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
They actually have a product called Bark Stop that I just got because mine keep going nuts in the car and a newspaper has failed to work. It emits an ultrasonic noise when they bark. Haven't seen great results yet, though I think they may be calming down/shutting up quicker, but so far it's not completely stopping them. I think that may vary by dog, though, because the Chessie friend that rode with us *hated* the sound and tucked her tail each time my two barked and it went off. I'll let you know if it becomes more effective. The model I have is actually meant to be placed outdoors in your yard to keep your dogs (or neighbor dogs) from barking.

I don't have a yard, but do have a neighbor dog across the street that barks, no kidding at least five times an hour at night. She's in her yard and when any person walks by, she goes crazy. It'd be ok, except it's summer and a very busy street. Mine then go nutso barking back and my neighbors get ticked at me (thin walls). I've been getting them to stop by treating them when they don't bark. It took about a week for them to get it but now, 9 times out of 10, when they hear the other dog bark, they go sit by the treat container on the coffee table instead of running to the window to bark. I'd rather give treats each night than yell at them to shut it, so it's working out nicely. I don't really think that'll work well for outdoor stuff, though.

Sounds like your neighbor is a pain. I'd be happy if our neighbor dog only barked twice an hour in the evenings. Check on your ordinance laws- where I used to live I know they couldn't complain unless it was non-stop barking or the barking happened between 10pm and 8 am.

DrArin
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I sat Sheila Monster down and had a heart to heart. I told her in very plain language that i would run her down the disposal with a broom handle if she continued to bark. She informed me that the disposal was only rated for cat, not dog, and that my threats were hollow.

Well, i checked under the sink, and dammit if she isnt right. Stupid smart dog.

DrArin
06-01-2009, 05:40 PM
.... We do give them 1-3 hrs excercise each day to elevate the energy.

Well THERE'S your problem.:roll1:

Ringtailroxy
06-01-2009, 05:49 PM
ROFLMAO!
I had been wondering where our good Dr. was hiding...

and I do have to agree with Miss Sheila. Garbage disposals are not intended to grind cattle dogs.

as far as getting dogs to stop barking, the only thing I have ever found to work is to actually train them when it is appropriate to bark. everything else is simply a deterrent. I know a client who used a citronella collar to curb excessive barking. dog learned that the physical weight of the cartridge changed as the citronella was used, so she adjusted her volume depending on the fullness of the cartridge. by the time the cartridge was near empty, the dog's volume was normal. didn't help much.

rtr

Kita's Mom
06-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I sat Sheila Monster down and had a heart to heart. I told her in very plain language that i would run her down the disposal with a broom handle if she continued to bark. She informed me that the disposal was only rated for cat, not dog, and that my threats were hollow.

Well, i checked under the sink, and dammit if she isnt right. Stupid smart dog.

Haha. I Love It. I have missed your comments and How Too's on here. Where have you been hiding?

YogiBear
06-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Trying to give them a treat may be worth a try. We tried the Stop Bark device that you put in the yard that emits a loud piercing noise but it only works up to a point. It doesnt seem to bother the puppy enough. Yes, the things he has complained about are something else - he is a retired lt col from the Marines and has even told us how and when we should mow our grass. Unbelievable! Don't get us wrong we are both very patriotic and thankful for all the military does, however, this man needs to lighten up! Since he has complained about so many other things other than the dogs it is harder to take it seriously, he just seems like a chronic complainer at this point and someone that is impossible to please. We want to be good neighbors but at the same time they need to be too. It seems like he doesnt want the dogs to bark at all period. He has a dog but he seldom barks. We don't know what breed it is but we suspect it is one that doesnt bark much or at all. Like I said earlier there are at least 8-9 dogs around us that bark considerably more than ours do. We think part of the problem is the prior owner was 85 and they probably are use to it being extremely quiet. We do encourage them to be quiet and most of the time everything is ok, but it apparently is not enough as far as the neighbor is concerned. As a neighbor I would think he'd be thankful they're quiet during the night 99% of the time unless someone pulls up in front of the house and makes a lot of noise. Of course then they alert but they do quiet down right away.

aszrael1266
06-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I guess I'm lucky that since I got Shiner in Jan she has only barked about 3 times. Now whining is a different story lol.

Localyokel
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Big problem and confounding one. We have been on both sides of this issue. In Greensboro, we received a letter from the city about our barking dogs with a warning of a $200 fine for continued complaints. We actually appreciated the notice as it was occuring during the day when we were at work. WE used the Stop Bark w/ peircing sound...seemed to help and we never received another letter.

Currently, we live in an older neighborhood with folks who think they live in the country and need to live in the country. I currently have 3 addresses written on my white board and can tell the individual sound of either:

1- the 4 dogs chained up behind us
2- sheltie & 2 pit bulls living beside us
3- or, the two bloodhounds living one street over

All three owners are sorry people who choose not to hear their dogs bark and provide no training nor guidance regarding this issue. We are pretty tolerant, but I have run out of patience and now just call the cops. They come and problem is solved....never thought I would be one of those people, but I am at wit's end. It's not the dog's fault, it's the crappy owners....if I could send the dog's somewhere where they could be happy, I would....they are lonely and wanting attention. I fear the dogs may receive repurcussions, but, quite frankly, the dogs wouldn't be any worse off if the owner's took them to the shelter with possible PTS...at least they would have a chance of getting adopted by someone who really wants them....what a shame.....

autiger23
06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, we have a bloodhound and a Golden Retriever on the hill above us that bark whenever someone walks by their house, too- on an even busier street. They sound far enough away when inside though that my two are ok. However, when we go into *our* yard, they can see us and immediately start barking which Scout ignores but Buck takes as a personal affront since he's on *his* property, darn it! LOL! It's annoying to me because we are going out to do business, but that ends Buck being able to focus on that, so I have to take him out some other time when the dogs are focused on barking at someone in their front yard. The folks never walk the dogs as if just having a yard and leaving them out there constantly is good enough. That's one of the reason I get shirty when groups make having a yard a requirement to getting a dog. It makes me wonder how many of those dogs just get tossed in the yard instead of getting any attention and exercise. I do want a yard eventually, but I intend to keep up with other exercise like what Yogi is doing.

Yogi, I think you are just going to have to let your neighbor know that you are doing the best you can and that you are following city ordinances (after checking on that). Dogs bark- that's life- if yours aren't barking incessantly he should be darned happy that it isn't worse than it could be. If he wants total solitude, he needs to live in a place with no neighbors whatsoever.

PS- good to know about the piercing noise working for all but the pup. My Bark Stop has an ultrasonic mode that I can't hear and that's what I've been trying to use. I may switch it to the audible side and see if that works. Maybe the ultrasonic kind would work better for you if you know anyone who has one you can borrow. I wish there was a way to test run this stuff with your dogs and send it back if it doesn't work. It's hard to tell what will and won't work with different dogs.

YogiBear
06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Not sure what the bottom line was in LocalYokels comment other than perhaps some people that don't care about their dogs shouldn't have them and/or some people are in denial about their dogs barking. We do try to be good neighbors and take great strides/effort in training our dogs. We know how much they (don't) bark most of the time because someone is always home. They are not locked up or tied up - they are with us anytime they want to be when we're home. They are part of the family and part of the reason we love them is because they're velcro dogs.

YogiBear
06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
The ultrasonic noise did irritate our older dogs completely so it works on them but they seldom bark anyway. The pup (1 1/2 yrs) is in her terrible twos and a bit defiant right now. We've had 5 ACDs over the yrs and this is the first one that doesn't totally get it. We're still hoping that she'll outgrow it but then again it truly is minimal. She does bark a tad during play or first thing in the morning she "talks" like hi mom/dad it's another day and I missed you (even though you are right here). She clearly still has some puppy in her. It's momentary though so we just don't get it. We can't believe he can't hear all the other dogs barking so much compared to ours. The problem w/ the audible is that it can be irritating to humans so neighbors may hear that on top of the barking which may be a toss up as to which they dislike more. Autiger - Their website shows tons of positive comments on the devices so hopefully it'll work for you.

lynelle
06-01-2009, 11:16 PM
We tried the citronella collar and it was okay but was too much maintenance and we didn't keep up with it. As far as being a good neighbor, I will never try that again. At work we have a neighbor dog that is a nightmare, but she is an ACD and her owner is trying his best. She caused thousands of dollars in damage by jumping the gate and running on the courts when they were resurfaced, she has attacked all our dogs, and one day I had Chief there and I put him in our kennel until the other dog was leashed and our neighbors called the cops on us for Chief barking. So now I am training them to bark all day

fanofdmb84
06-02-2009, 11:57 AM
We can't believe he can't hear all the other dogs barking so much compared to ours.

I'm betting he does, you just happen to be closer and easier to complain to. Or he very well may be complaining to everyone within 3 blocks who has a dog.

blinkster
06-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Downfalls to the ultrasonice device:
1. all dogs are effected, even the ones not barking
2. the most determined or truely upset dog will keep barking

Good thing: I do have one and it does work on certain dogs and what they are barking about. But I don't like to use it if I have multiple dogs in the area of hearing it since everyone gets corrected. I have found the audible setting works better than the ultrasonic setting.

I have just ordered my first citronella collar after reading reviews on them. Downfall is dogs close to the offender will also be corrected. We will see. I too have a neighbor that has decided a dog barking at 6:30am is too early. I had assumed as long as they are quiet from 10pm-6:30 am I was being a good neighbor. I'm in the country, not the city. There are no ordinances but they can choose to take action thru a civil court.

noworriesjake
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
When I was fostering Kaylee, she liked to bark at Jake's citronella collar so he would get squirted. He didn't find it as funny as she did.

lauralu
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I have just ordered my first citronella collar after reading reviews on them. Downfall is dogs close to the offender will also be corrected. We will see. I too have a neighbor that has decided a dog barking at 6:30am is too early. I had assumed as long as they are quiet from 10pm-6:30 am I was being a good neighbor. I'm in the country, not the city. There are no ordinances but they can choose to take action thru a civil court.

If you get the PetSafe collar that I have, only the offending dog is corrected as it works on throat vibration, not by mictophone. They also make a remote control spray collar. That one of course, only works when you are home to push the button.

Granted my dogs are smart and they have learned not to bark when the collar is on them. So I don't really use it to train them not to bark, but I do use it when I need them to be quiet depending on what's going on. Does that make sense???

I did use the remote spray collar to teach Pebbles not to bite the fence and it worked really well.

logan774
06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hmmm. Citronella anti-bark, anti-mosquito collar. I may need to get 3 (one for each dog) and have them systematically bark around my legs this summer.
Better yet! I'll put one around the chihuahua's back and let her bark at the boats that go by like normal. And the kids playing next door. And my son playing in the hose with Logan. And whatever else she decides needs my attention. My entire yard will be bug-free by July!

*picturing a sprinkler-system like chihuahua contraption*
I may have just found a way to make my millions.. insert evil laugh...

Beth99
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
When I was fostering Kaylee, she liked to bark at Jake's citronella collar so he would get squirted. He didn't find it as funny as she did.

:roll1: LOL!! Poor Jake!!

Localyokel
06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Not sure what the bottom line was in LocalYokels comment other than perhaps some people that don't care about their dogs shouldn't have them and/or some people are in denial about their dogs barking. We do try to be good neighbors and take great strides/effort in training our dogs. We know how much they (don't) bark most of the time because someone is always home. They are not locked up or tied up - they are with us anytime they want to be when we're home. They are part of the family and part of the reason we love them is because they're velcro dogs.

Yeah...sorry about that...after reading it, I realized it was more my rant than an answer / suggestion to your issue....was a bad week with the neighbors and their dogs....Basically, I would have to second AUTiger23's comments. Let your neighbor know you are doing the best you can and (before speaking with him) insure you are within compliance with the local ordinances. If you are and you are making an effort to keep the barking to a minimum, especially when he is out in his yard, then that's all you can really do....after that, he either has to learn to live with it or move to 100 acres with his house in the middle so he isn't disturbed by neighbors and their dogs (or kids for that matter)...I bet he goes all to he!! when the ambulances / fire trucks scream down the road outside of your neighborhood....:naughty:

RickAKAFishslayer
06-11-2009, 07:09 PM
"he is a retired lt col from the Marines and has even told us how and when we should mow our grass."

You just explained everything. The guy is used to getting his way and having people jump to his every whim because they had to.

You don't have to...

He's probly also angry at life cause he didn't make 06.

Rick:paw:

Localyokel
06-12-2009, 10:47 AM
"he is a retired lt col from the Marines and has even told us how and when we should mow our grass."

You just explained everything. The guy is used to getting his way and having people jump to his every whim because they had to.

You don't have to...

He's probly also angry at life cause he didn't make 06.

Rick:paw:

ditto

YogiBear
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
We told him what kind of dogs we have and he went n the internet and researched them.
He commented to me if I knew how much "exercise" they "needed".

Kinda also hinted we shouldn't have them in the neighborhood.

Well, I got the best recommended no bark collars from Gun Dog Supply.

I put one on this morning. So far none have barked. Not one of the 3 and only one is collared. Spoke too soon. All 3 just barked.

Then I realized, the mutts outsmarted everyone. The neighbor said that they bark when we aren't home.

AHA! The kids figured our fast that if we're not home, they don't get scolded about barking so they bark.

Also hear a story about 2 dogs that were collared. The dogs chewed the collars off each other!! Talk about smart. Don't know what the breed(s) were. I can certainly see that happening with our ACDs.

I am leary of leaving them collared when we are not home for a long time.

Also, I can see that #3 may chew off the collar off #1

We'll see how long it lasts.

YogiBear
06-15-2009, 07:08 PM
We talked to him yesterday and he did say the dogs have been better lately. Perhaps he's just getting use to them a bit. During the conversation he complained about the young couple behind us that have a 2 yr old boy that has been crying/screaming a bit this last wk in the early morning/late evenings. Since we seldom hear them I figured the kid was just sick and at that age he really cant relay what is wrong. He also complained about the young girl that lives behind him that screams a lot when she's out in the yard and we told him we seldom hear her and his response was she's getting older so it isn't quite as bad now. This is horrible to say about someone but I've seriously come to the conclusion he'd only be happy living in a morgue because he'd literally have peace and quiet. They have 3 teenage boys probably from 13-18. The eldest is going to college soon and I'd bet he can hardly wait to have the freedom. The kids never smile or look happy, no friends are over at their house, it seems like they pretty much stay home and if they're in the pool they use it for only 10-15 min quietly and are out. At those ages they should be having the time of their lives. We wondered how he dealt w/ his kids when they were young and carrying on and someone mentioned to us he probably was over seas so he didn't have to be a full time parent during that point in their lives. Obviously he hasn't adjusted to civilian life and I'm guessing because he still works on base that he cannot handle dealing with civilians either. He's something else. Mrs YB