PDA

View Full Version : Bathing ACD's with Castile Soap

TherapyDogMom
06-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Have any of you heard of bathing your ACD's with castile soap? It's supposed to be very gentle, but thorough. It was recommended to me by a vet tech who has ACD's and horses. She uses plain old castile soap to bathe her dogs and her horses. Says she won't use anything else, it's that good. It's supposed to be additive free and gentle enough for newborn human kids.

Any opinions out there??????

Linda
(and Skye)

Kita's Mom
06-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I love castile soap. I have never used it on the dogs but it makes sense. I use the peppermint on myself. I love the cool feeling it leaves and really wakes you up in the morning. Ill have to try it. And its pretty cheap.

DrArin
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Castile soap is natural, rinses clean, and is biodegradable. That being said, it is still SOAP, in the most literal sense. It is an oil of some type that is saponified with a caustic base of some sort. They are very drying, and have no skin conditioners. They literally strip ALL of the oils from the skin. If you want to use it, id recommend some sort of doggie mousturizing rinse afterwards, like the avocado type conditioners.

DrArin
06-01-2009, 04:10 PM
oh and regarding using it on infants. God save you if you get peppermint castile soap in your or a baby;s eye. Ive gotten it in my own a few times.......

like the 30th level of dantes inferno.

Kita's Mom
06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh I would never use it on a baby. Well I dont have any babies. So no worries there. And that is smart about the conditioner. I dident think about that.

TherapyDogMom
06-01-2009, 10:13 PM
When I went looking today, I found some fragrance free, baby castile soap. You're right, the cost is very reasonable.

Linda