PDA

View Full Version : Kona can't swim?!

irzi86
06-01-2009, 06:30 AM
Kona adores water and baths herself in every puddle she can find, every waterbowl she finds....
we often take our dogs for a swam in the lake nearby. she has never swim before and i didnt force her to, and she was just jumping in the water where she could reach the ground, having a really good time. well yesterday, we went there again and because it was wery hot nice weather, i went in the water (to the waist). i called Kona, and she came, but where the water was so high, that she couldnt reach the ground, she sank like a rock:emot-sad:
i pulled her up and she didnt seemed scared. i played with her for a while, and then tried again, again, she sank:emot-sad:

then i held her like you hold a child when you teach him to swim, and her "paddling reflex" was very very poor.

my friend laughed her butt of, saying that there are a small percent of dogs, that actually cant swim and have to be thought to do so.

is that true? can i teach her to swim? how can i do that?

lucystrauss
06-01-2009, 08:40 AM
get her a doggie life jacket and then go swimming with her. She might pick it up, but like your friend said, some dogs cannot swim!!

Buela's Mom
06-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Buela hates going into water much past her belly, and if you hold her over water she will doggie paddle the AIR frantically. We just let her go as far into the water as she wants and leave her be.

We think it stems from when she was a puppy and fell off the dock at Cypress Gardens. (I probably didn't help the sitch by freaking out because the area is known to have several very large gators and what better to eat than flailing 4 month puppy for breakfast?)

If you are going to be going enjoying the lake alot or out in a boat often definitely get Kona a life jacket and encourage her to swim with you guys but just like with children take your time.

nschiro
06-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Pawsom panicked the first time she was in where she couldn't touch but eventually got the hang of it. However, I would highly recommend a dog life jacket. I think one of the problems for Pawsom was that she would always sink and it took a lot of effort to keep herself afloat. I remember someone once telling me that 2% of people cannot float naturally and it was due to their low amount of body fat. Pawsom is very lean and muscular so maybe that is it. The dog life jacket helped enormously.

I recommend Ruffwear or EZtech but there are some other good ones out there.

Nicole

mycattlekids
06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Angus is a very poor swimmmer. He used to sink also and I got a life jacket and used it and now we don't have to have it but I have to be careful how long he is in the water. If he gets tired he will sink. and mom doesn't want to go in afer him:character0028:

myanniegirl
06-02-2009, 10:05 AM
My husband taught my first ACD, Shelby, how to swim. He held him in the water and let him go and he sank like a rock too!!! Thank goodness he was blessed enough to have a tail b/c Marc grabbed him by the tail and yanked him back up! He eventually started paddling with his front feet and letting his back legs stretch out behind him. With much practice, he became a good swimmer using all four legs to paddle! I have a picture here on my desk of that first day of swimming lessons. I wish it was saved on my computer so that I could share!

There is still hope for Kona!:thumbup

littleroads
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
2% of people cannot float naturally and it was due to their low amount of body fat

I have never been able to float - my feet sink like a rock. Now I know why. HAHAHA!!!:roll1:

TexasCDLorenz
06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
That is me too Eileen- I sink like a rock without an enormous effort! But I've never had a dog that couldn't swim. My guys would be in Mexico if I didn't stop them. A life jacket would be a really good idea- even with very good swimmers, I would use a life jacket if the dog is going to be in deep water or if you are going out in a boat. I have seen Opie get tired out and it worried me. I can't swim good enough or fast enough, so I don't let him go far. One day, he got tired and used Bella for a floaty. :biggrin2: Rotties are great swimmers, they spend a lot of time just floating, but the Heelers are more- run jump in- swim back- jump in again- over & over & over!