PDA

View Full Version : No more pork chews!

TexasCDLorenz
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
I know better than to give rawhides to my dogs. One of my friends lost her dog, after she choked on one, but yesterday I gave in to Opies begging at the new pet store and bought him a small pork chew, the kind with cheese in the middle. Last night about 2am, he started to vomit. I was up and down, cleaning his crate, trying to decide if I should give him something for his stomach. We were at my Mothers yesterday and she gives him all kinds of treats. I was doing yard work, while he hung out with her, so I suspected he ate too many goodies. But about 4am, he started to cough & gag! I jumped up and ran downstairs, to find him sitting up in his crate, surrounded by more vomit, with a piece of porkchew hanging out of his mouth! It was stuck!
He couldn't cough it up- I gently pulled it out. It came out OK, but he got sick some more, right after I pulled it out, but then went to sleep. He is still sleeping- the vets office just said to watch him. I went through this years ago with a Rottie that ate a stick, but this is worse- I gave that darn thing to Opie!
The whole reason we went to my Mothers was the fact she fell off a ladder, while cutting some limbs off her tree- she is 83! My cousin was there- called the ambulance, but she refused treatment (they checked her over anyway) She finally got mad and gave them and my cousin a cussing. She is a little sore, but I wanted to see for myself. After doing her yardwork, I got home and took a Tylenol- then I got choked on the pill! My husband had several friends over, but apparently, construction workers don't know what to do if someone is choking (other than run around frantic) Finally, my husband started hitting me on the back - the pill dislodged and I could breath, talk, and swallow! Whew! SO- I knew how Opie must have felt! Poor little thing was just sitting there with that thing stuck in his throat! After all that- I've decided not to let him out of my sight today. I seriously needed a Valium- I even had one! Only a 5mg- BUT- I dropped it in the sink - down the drain it went! CRAP!
I would like to hide under the covers today.. Let Opie on the sofa (he has never been allowed, so he is too afraid to lay down with me) But, I remembered I have a tractor with a full trailor of brush that needs to go to the burn pile and I have to go into town. We are out of everything, so off to Walmart I go ( after my husband gets home to watch Opie) If I thought I could get that Valium out of that drain pipe- I might do a little plumbing!

littleroads
05-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Boy, what a day you've had already - and it's early!!

I don't give mine rawhide or pork chews, or beef chews, or even cow hooves anymore - TwoLane ALWAYS chokes on them, and I've had enough of sticking my hand down his throat to pull them out. Rody used to take her time chewing them down to nothing, but Allen tries to swallow them whole - so no more chews for mine.

Mel2001
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Cindy, I am laughing so hard reading your post. I KNOW it's not supposed to be funny, but your night/day just went from bad, to badder, to worse, to horribly worse, that I just couldn't believe it!

I hope you and your family have a better weekend! :paw:

TexasCDLorenz
05-29-2009, 01:35 PM
The really sad part ( or possibly the funniest) was me chasing that Valium around the kitchen sink, only to watch it go down the drain! Anyone watching would have thought I had just lost a priceless diamond ring!

autiger23
05-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Anyone watching would have thought I had just lost a priceless diamond ring!

I'm sure you would have much rather had the pill than a ring at that point. :)

Belgrael
05-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Cindy, what a scary experience it is seeing your dog choking :( Glad it turned out ok.
My boys get lots of different chews and Bud chews them to nothing but Chip tends to get a little greedy and gulps down large pieces, regurgitates them and chews them some more, and if it's still too large to go down regurgitates again and chews it til it is of a manageable piece to go down his gullet.
We've stopped giving him certain ones that he does this with so this doesn't happen as often now but it was mostly the pigs ears or rawhide flaps that did it so he doesn't get them now. They both get the little pigs knuckles and noses or roo tails or dried roo jerky which they both handle quite well.

Jan and John at Chevland
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
I don't feed my dogs pork chews anymore either. Barron used to gag on the last bit of the pigs ear and I'd have to put my hand down his neck to retrieve it. Jazzy has never had one because of my experiences with Barron.

YogiBear
05-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Our dogs loved the beef basted chews. Our oldest years ago got several caught in her throat which fortunately in all events we were home or she'd easily hack them up or i'd put my hand in her mouth/throat and pull it out. After a couple times of pulling them out that was it. Decided they were to dangerous. What a day you had. Sorry I must admit to laughing - I could just see it happening to myself. Relax he's ok. Give him lots of hugs, safe treats and get some kisses from him - you'll feel better.

Brunella
05-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I haven't given mine rawhides or rawhide-like chews in years. Ding was the worst with these and would swallow large pieces which I knew wasn't good. I started to hear and read to many scary and sad stories about dogs and chews so they've been off them for several years.

I'm so sorry for the day/night you've had, I can relate. You really did need that valium, sorry the sink swallowed it before you could. :kleenex:

DrArin
06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
From the title i thought maybe opie had converted to Judaism or the ROP. ;)

I wonder if beggin strips are Kosher.....

doubt it.

TexasCDLorenz
06-02-2009, 01:19 PM
From the title i thought maybe opie had converted to Judaism or the ROP. ;)

Opie says- NO way- he likes his bacon too much!:biggrin2: Not to mention the occasional bite of his humans porkchop!