PDA

View Full Version : Pawsom's Private Battle

nschiro
05-27-2009, 08:48 AM
So we are having hardwood floors put in the upstairs of our house. Right now, I am sleeping in what is a glorified closet (one of our spare rooms filled with boxes and furniture). The closet sliding doors are big mirrors and the bed is only 6 feet from them. Well, Pawsom has discovered her reflection and goes ballistic with barking and growling at herself. Every morning for three days now, she sees herself and goes nuts. Today I let her "bark it out" for a bit. Then she discovered that her ball had rolled too close to the other dog. :roll1: Quite the sight. Anyone else's dog take issue with their reflection?

Nicole

noworriesjake
05-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Jake thinks reflections in the mirror or in a window are a fun game. He huffs and stares into the mirror or window until you wave at him and then he spins around and comes running to you to say hello. He loves this game and does it all during dinner at my in-laws in their informal dining room which has a zillion windows. He'll keep it up until you tell him to knock it off.

lucystrauss
05-27-2009, 09:07 AM
hahaha Lucy does that sometimes too - her back fur will stand up on end and she'll start barking and growling, but then she looks at my reflection, then back at me and seems so confused!! I've heard from many people that dogs cannot see reflections in mirrors, but I think our dogs have proved them wrong, don't you?

Bluerules
05-27-2009, 09:33 AM
if Sandy catches mine or anyone else reflection in the window she thinks it's a stranger and attacks lol

fanofdmb84
05-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Rowan isn't much into mirrors (its only cool for about 10 seconds), but he does chase his shadow. Usually the shadow of his big radar ears on the ground in front of him. He'll do it obsessively till I tell him to knock it off.

nschiro
05-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Oh no, Pawsom was barking and growling from 6 to 7:30 this morning. I cannot wait to get back into my own room - a couple more days to go. Most animals aside from greater apes and children under 17 months(?) do not have self-recognition. But there is debate about that. All I know, is that I would love to be able to sleep in the morning!

Nicole

YogiBear
05-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Interesting - currently we have 3 and only 1 seems to be a bit freaked by mirrors but doesnt go to such an extreme about it. He may only grrrrrrrr a bit. They say animals cant see colors but I just dont believe that either and there is controversary now that they can. If they're smarter than some kids at young ages and they obviously have cognitive reasoning it seems to me they have the ability to figure it out. Maybe she sees it as a fun game - when I tell our male stop it, he's being silly it is just him in the mirror he looks at me via my reflection in the mirror and walks away. So it's made me think he realizes that but just finds it entertaining. When I use to have cats they'd freak out, jump, hiss or whatever at the mirror and run full tilt away but eventually they'd figure out it was just them and could care less.

Buela's Mom
05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Max saw himself in the mirror above the dresser, fluffed up a bit huffed at himself then ran into the closet to get the other dog...because that dresser is on the wall with the closet behind it. We were pretty impressed that he thought the dog was in there and not another dog standing on the dresser.

RickAKAFishslayer
05-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Dingo will pause & show interest in a reflection, but doesn't get too interested.

Rick:paw:

k9blueheeler
05-28-2009, 01:45 AM
My 3 the first time they saw their reflection in a mirror when bonkers. It was quite funny. My 2 fosters did the same thing the first time they saw their reflections. What's funnier is too watch cats. When I visit my parents everyonce in awhile with my dogs they still go off when they see their relections in the mirror at the end of the hall.

At least the reaction isn't as bad as it used to be. I think that they forget for a couple of seconds that's it's them.

nschiro
05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Pawsom got kicked out of bed this morning. I could not take it. I opened the door which right now is conveniently right near my head and booted her out. Finally some sleep!