PDA

View Full Version : FOOD FOR THOUGHT!**The Dog food Thread**

Pages : [1] 2

Belgrael
01-25-2007, 08:16 PM
What kind of diet do you feed your ACD?

Shans_RED_ACD_4_me
02-01-2007, 12:43 PM
I feed Innova evo red meat and I also cook for my boy as well :tongue0022: hamburg, lamb, buffalo, and I usually mix it with brown rice and pumpkin :thumbs-up:

Shans_RED_ACD_4_me
02-01-2007, 03:02 PM
I agree! I didn't answer the poll because it didn't say anything about "premium" either.

sierrasuenos
02-01-2007, 03:10 PM
I think premium kibble would be considerd 'pet store brand' just because its typically better (and more expencive)than grocery supply. I could be wrong though. :Dunno:

Dominique
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
I home cook just started but everybody seems to be doing better especially Ellie Mea.:hungry:

Dominique

Muddie23
02-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I feed Natures Varitey kibble and raw. 50% raw instinct kibble and 50% raw meat (lamb, venison, beef and chicken/turkey). Scooby thinks that it is GREAT!!!!:tongue0022:

Jakie's Mom
02-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I feed Jakie raw food with a suplement. It is made by Know Bettrer Dog food.
This is a Canadian company but you can have it shipped to the US online. It is easy to make and he loves it! When I fed him kibble, he would n't eat very much and then he started to get hot spots from the corn.
Now that I give him the raw food, he eats it right up and has nice breath, nice smell, tiny poohs, and is healthy and happy. they say you can put two years of life on your dog by feeding them raw food. I believe it! Laura

CattyBossDog
02-02-2007, 12:25 AM
I think the poll should have another category added..."premium kibble" or something like that.
Done and done. :)

LovCattleDogs1
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I feed Evolve which is made by Triumph. And I mix canned Evo by Innova with their dinner and they get yogurt with breakfast. They eat better than I do.

Cowdog Mom
02-03-2007, 05:44 PM
I feed Merrick dry food and then we have "can food Sunday" which is a can of Merrick food. Pups love Sunday!

Would love to home cook but don't have the time and need to buy an extra freezer for that!

Lynne
02-06-2007, 11:20 PM
I've fed 100% kibble, 100% homecooked, 100% Barf both home made and commercial prepared and now I feed a mixture of Evo with homecooked and raw. It's amazing how much more relaxed I am about what I feed as long as it's quality. The dogs love the variety!

Lynne

Blue_Heelers1
02-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Oops, I guess I voted for the wrong poll. I was suppose to choose a "Premium Kibble Brand".:o

I feed Eagle Pack (http://eaglepack.com/). :)

Dominique
03-31-2007, 09:52 PM
All organic premium food with no filler whatso ever it is the old perfered pet products brand it has just started with a new name. but the same food.

winddrover
07-06-2007, 02:22 AM
i feed my dogs premium pet store supply food (dry) with yoghurt and rice/noodles/taters in the morning and feed them raw with oils and supplements and again noodles for shannon (she needs to put on weight desperately) in the evening. i didn't vote because i didn't find a button for that mixture of bought and home made stuff.

drover

mom22acds
07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I think I may have checked the wrong one. It's a premium kibble but I buy it at a pet supply store... so maybe I only got it half wrong.
I feed Solid Gold and have for years and have had really good results with it.

blinkster
07-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I feed Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice with Natural Balance meat roll food, plus they get their Nupro supplement. Blink is showing sings of arthritis and the Nupro Joint has done wonders for her. All my fosters go on Nupro Gold Supplement to help with their hair coat, intestinal problems and give them an overall healthy boost.

They get their dry kibble in their buster cubes, their Natural Balance meat roll in their kongs (frozen if it's hot out) and their supplement with a little dry kibble and water at night. Keeps them busy all day while I'm at work if they can't go with me.

littleroads
02-15-2008, 07:40 PM
http://largedog.meetup.com/boards/thread/2914614

Nomadofthehills
02-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Here it is:

How to grade your dog's food:
Start with a grade of 100:
1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points
2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points
5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewerâs rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
6) If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
7) If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
8 ) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points
9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points
10) If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil, subtract 2 points
11) If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
12) If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
13) If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isnât allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
14) If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isnât allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
15) If it contains salt, subtract 1 point
Extra Credit:
1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
4) If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
5) If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
6) If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
7) If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
8 ) If the food contains barley, add 2 points
9) If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
10) If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
11) If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
12) For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
13) If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
14) If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point
94-100+ = A 86-93 = B 78-85 = C 70-77 = D <70 = F

Dog Food scores:
Alpo Prime Cuts / Score 81 C
Artemis Large/Medium Breed Puppy / Score 114 A+
Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Authority Harvest Baked Less Active / Score 93 B
Beowulf Back to Basics / Score 101 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
Blackwood 3000 Lamb and Rice / Score 83 C
Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice / Score 106 A+
Burns Chicken and Brown Rice / Score 107 A+
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Diamond Performance / Score 85 C
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten?s Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice / Score 106 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
EaglePack Holistic / Score 102 A+
Eukanuba Adult / Score 81 C
Eukanuba Puppy / Score 79 C
Flint River Senior / Score 101 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 B
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Innova Large Breed Puppy / Score 122 A+
Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Member?s Mark Chicken and Rice / Score 84 C
Merrick Wilderness Blend / Score 127 A+
Merrick HomeStyle Blends / Average Score 125 A+
Merrick Beef N More / Score 125 A+
Nature?s Recipe / Score 100 A
Nature?s Recipe Healthy Skin Venison and Rice / Score 116 A+
Nature?s Variety Raw Instinct / Score 122 A+
Nutra Nuggets Super Premium Lamb Meal and Rice / Score 81 C
Nutrience Junior Medium Breed Puppy / Score 101 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Max Adult / Score 93 B
Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice / Score 98 A
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Wheat Free / Score 86 B
Nutro Natural Choice Senior / Score 95 A
Nutro Ultra Adult / Score 104 A+
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables Adult Dry / Score 109 A+
Pro Nature Puppy / Score 80 C
Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach / Score 94 A
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Purina One Large Breed Puppy / Score 62 F
Royal Canin Boxer / Score 103 A+
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Solid Gold / Score 99 A
Summit / Score 99 A
Timberwolf Organics Wild & Natural Dry / Score 120 A+
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

I think this is very interesting, and a good basic plan, although some of the things are a little iffy to me.

First one that comes to mind:
1) If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points

Organic really has no relevance, the regulations to deem something 'organic,' are ambiguous and basically pointless. Is organic good? Of course, but worth 5 points? I don't know.

2) If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
I don't trust endorsements. My friends vet recommends Beniful. 'nuff said.

Other than those two, everything looks pretty good. However, you have to look at the results.

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+

Authority is petsmart's brand. While a good food, I doubt it is "better" than foods such as:
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice / Score 106 A+

Chicken, Whole Ground Wheat, Whole Ground Barley, Chicken Meal, Canola Oil (Preserved mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Carrots, Salmon Meal, Dried Egg Product, Spinach, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Cranberries, Natural Flavor, Chicory Root Extract, Flaxseed, Minerals (Salt, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Glucosamine Hydrocholide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Carnitine.

As you can see, wheat is the second ingrediant. Also, as weight is calculated whole, once that chicken is dehydrated, the weight is much less, and it probably would go down in the ingredients.

We also see Barely as first. Now, according to this list, that's a bonus point. However, I would not want 2/3 of the first three ingredients as grains.

Overall, great concept, but has some flaws when applied practically.

TexasCDLorenz
03-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Old poll- but I'm new to forum
I was surprised that so many of you also feed Evo! We get it at the local training center. I also add yogurt,cottage cheese, and canned fish occasionally. I usually mix the canned and dry Evo. I also train with baked chicken livers. Adds a nice aroma to your house! I had always been afraid of giving my dogs too much protein, but my ACDs seem to do better on this diet. Just wish the price of this brand was a little lower. Fortunately, the training center doesn't make any profit on their food, so I'm getting it for what it cost them.
I'm home sick right now, so I'm really enjoying this forum. This might also be a good time to cook some liver- while my head is all stuffed up and I can't smell anything!

nschiro
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I feed The Honest Kitchen Preference with buffalo, turkey or fish meat added. But now that Katie has been diagnosed with Malignant Oral Melanoma, I home cook her special diet too. I've previously fed The Honest Kitchen Embark and liked it.

Dutchlove
03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I feed my boys Science Diet
Does anyone recommend something better? The only reason I have my boys on that is bc the vet recommended it. Since then I have seen these all natural and even fresh food from the small local pet store/ groomer. Are they really better or just more expensive?

littleroads
03-04-2008, 04:48 PM
In all my readings over the past couple of years, it's been recommended most often to get a dog food that does not have corn or corn by-products, or animal by-products as any of the first 5 ingredients. Corn is basically a filler with no nutritional value, and by-products are the " unwanted leftovers" of animal rendering...beaks, feet, intestines, hooves, etc...

Science Diet, even though recommended by many vets (they are usually "paid to advertise") has corn right up there as a major ingredient. It's generally not regarded as one of the higher quality foods. Your mileage may vary, and many dogs do just fine on grocery store brand foods, but usually those are considered the "McDonald's" of dog foods.
:naughty:
Here's an interesting dog-food comparison:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

littleroads
03-04-2008, 05:01 PM
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

Rate your dog food:
http://largedog.meetup.com/boards/thread/2914614

Dog food review:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/dog-food/review.html

Dog food ingredients to avoid:
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Dutchlove
03-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Wow! And thought I was feeding them something better when I switched to science diet. Guess I was wrong! Thank you for finding great information. Now I know I will be changing their diet.

justin
03-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I got a free 9lb bag of science diet from vet for my pup, I looked at the ingrediants and wasn't impressed so I gave it away I just switched to nature's recipe hope it's a good one. I don't think my dog cares he eats everything sticks,grass, bark,carpet, shoes I feel terriable He thinks he's going to starve but I feed him liberally plus snacks o'well :banghead:

justin
03-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Dang it I just did the analysis on nature's recipe, Back to the store I go....... Thanks lol

FancyPantz
03-05-2008, 06:08 AM
My dogs are on the last of their food and it is time for me to buy some more. I was feeding them Pedigree puppy food but checked to see what was in it and corn is the first thing listed. I will have to change. I have a 15 month old and a 5 month old. Any suggestions from anyone as to what I should get for them? They seem to share their food or perhaps just want what the other has even though it is the same.

bluelady
03-05-2008, 11:24 AM
I feed wellness core ,home cooked and raw for my adult dogs, wellness puppy,wellness puppy canned and some home cooked for my baby girl.

bluelady

littleroads
03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I feed Canidae, either All Life Stages or the Chicken & Rice. I have found Canidae to be a good brand of kibble for my dogs.

2speckledblue
03-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Both my dogs are fed Canidae, Chicken and Rice, and love it. I'm particularily impressed with my girl's coat since she's been eating it. Several people have remarked on how good she looks.

FancyPantz
03-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Lucky me!!! The pet food store 3 blocks away has Canidae. I will be getting some on my way back to work. Thanks for the advice. Am I wrong in letting Blaze still eat the puppy food??

littleroads
03-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Not necessarily wrong. If you get the Canidae All Life Stages, your puppies and seniors can eat it too.

Belgrael
03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I feed The Honest Kitchen Preference with buffalo, turkey or fish meat added. But now that Katie has been diagnosed with Malignant Oral Melanoma, I home cook her special diet too. I've previously fed The Honest Kitchen Embark and liked it.
Nicole, I am very sorry to heat that Katie has malignant melanoma. That is so tough. Can you tell us how she is going?

On the diet front I feed my boys a mixture of stuff that seems to be keeping their weight down. Their breakfast and dinner contents include the following elements in various combinations:

Scotty's meat loaf - a prepared dog food roll with no additives or preservatives, in the low calorie variety
Pumpkin, cooked and mashed.
sardines
low fat cottage cheese
low fat yoghurt fresh or in frozen ice blocks
water mixed in
turkey or chicken necks
brisket bones on the odd occasionThey are healthy and slim (well a lot slimmer than they were LOL) and their poos just dry up and break up in the yard. I never have to do poo pickups anymore unless we are having guests over when I do a quick collection of the fresh stuff.

FancyPantz
03-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Today was the test to see if my boys liked their new food. I bought the Canidae all life stages. Let me tell you this- They were eating it out of the air as I poured it from the bag. I also spilled some on the ground and they were more than happy to clean it up. Thanks again Eileen!!!!!

nschiro
03-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Katie is doing rather well right now in regards to her melanoma. She was going in for a TPLO (cruciate repair) and when they intubated her they discovered 2 tumors on the far far back of her tongue. We went to Cornell's oncology department and they weren't able to offer us much hope in the way of treatment - it's just a bad cancer for a dog to have. I was rather surprised that they didn't recommend any nutritional help. Thankfully, we have a great holistic vet who did!

Katie is now on what they call the paleolithic diet - basically NO GRAINS (she had been grain-free about 1.5 years before the cancer) and ultra-low carb. It's high protein and fat with antioxidant supplements and herbs. Our goal is to slow down the cancer growth. We were given a few weeks to a few months, and we are going on three months strong! This is a typical Katie diet now (specific to Katie per her vet).

10 oz meat
7.5 oz The Honest Kitchen Preference
salmon oil
vitamin A
cod liver oil
calcium carbonate
vitamin C
Animal Essentials Green Alternative
raw garlic clove

Oh, she LOVES LOVES LOVES sardines!!! Haha, they make my family gag.

Jan and John at Chevland
03-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Blimey - I'm so glad I take the time to prepare a bones and raw food diet (based on Dr Ian Billnghurst's books) for my babies. Looking at all the stuff listed in the above e-mail, it would appear that a little time and effort simplifies the process totally - AND ensures a quality diet for my kids.

Dutchlove
03-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Well last weekend I went to my local pet store and showed them the grading system that was posted. And then asked the women what she would recommended. She agreed that Sience Diet was crap and there are much better foods out there. We ended up switching our dogs and cats to a brand called Orjen. The food comes from Canada. We got the fish one with 6 types of fish from Canada's waters. It rated higher then any other brand on the list. Once we took it home and opened the dog food bag all the animals (including the cats) came running. It must have smelt and tasted good bc they ate their servings in seconds flat. its like even the animals knew it was a better brand and better for them. What smart animals. This week I am going to ween in some raw meat and see how they enjoy that. I am much happier knowing my pets enjoy feeding time and actually look forward to it. Also it is eaier to use food they like more as a trainning tool. Thanks for having the post bc if you never would have asked my poor babies would still be eating the McDonalds of dog foods.

Dutchlove
04-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I was looking at that grading system someone posted a few weeks back. I was actually trying to find it for a friend of mine. Well I gave it to her and she read it and then asked where I got it from. I said this site but I would research it more, so I googled it and came across this site:
http://www.wysong.net/controversies/rate_your_dog_food.shtml
They go against most of system. Does anyone else agree or disagree with them??? Now I am not sure if I should have reccomended it to my friend.

Dutchlove
04-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Also, I found the women who supposedlly started the origninal grading system. If you have questions regarding it her e-mail address is: [email protected] Make sure to put "Dog Food Grading" in the title.

3blues
06-02-2008, 01:19 AM
We have 4 different dog foods for our 4 dogs. Our oldest gets Science Diet 7+ original formula, since she's a senior; our foster eats Purina Dog Chow; our two boys are both on Science Diet as well. Indy eats SD ultra ZD because he's allergic to everything, Chance eats the Sensitive Stomach because he has stomach issues sometimes.

All seem to do very well on them & they've never had any problems. I always thought SD was a good dog food, now I'm not sure. Purina Dog Chow & Puppy Chow were what we've fed our guys for years. Always thought it was a good food. We always feed dry food. If I changed Indy's food again I wouldn't have a clue what to put him on, he's definitely allergic to wheat.

julia
08-25-2008, 08:50 AM
my dogs all eat oma's pride raw, they all had major allergy problems/skin issues, etc before but those all were taken care of by the switch to raw :)

I tried prey model raw for awhile (where you just give them whole pieces of raw meat, bones and all) but they started getting sick so I switched back to the frozen mix

rottalma
08-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Tripe and mixer biscuit for my lot I have stopped feeding complete foods.

mlanger
08-25-2008, 09:59 AM
I feed my dogs ''Taste of the Wild'' It is a grain free diet.
They do great on it. I also cook for them. Chicken, liver... whatever is on sale/reduced at the grocery. I give them raw too somtimes chopping up a whole chicken. They also get all table scraps, they "prewash"' all bowls I also bake them treats
With carrots ,peanut butter,tuna etc.

Mary

winddrover
09-10-2008, 02:08 AM
i voted now.

my dogs are now on a raw and meaty bone diet and get table scraps (noodles/rice/taters) with oils and yoghurt every now and then.

as in meat they get
- beef muscle or heart once a week
- throat, chicken carcasse ot turkey neck 3x a week
- tripe or omasum 3x a week.

they thrive on that diet, have blinding white teeth, no bad breath and no smell on them whatsoever.

RedDirtRoad
10-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I wanted to see what type of food everyone on here fed their pups/dogs and why it is the best.

I appoligize if there is already a thread for this.

Lizzie
10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey Crystal...here is a thread...but sure others will chime in.....
I feed Maggie and Maxx
Natural Balance Organics. Dominque recommended and they love it.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/

I fed my foster Nick Buffalo Blue...another good dog food:
http://www.bluebuff.com/

littleroads
10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I used to feed Canidae and the dogs really liked it, but they raised the price (a lot) and reduced the bag size, so I went back to Nutro Natural Choice. They do fine on that as well.

Mainly, I look for a dog food with no corn or animal by-products in the first three ingredients - those are fillers, and the ingredients are listed in order of percentage.

Waynescustomleather
10-24-2008, 10:14 AM
We switched over to Kent Native in August and love it, the dogs love it and are doing great on it. When I first looked into using it I was put out by the price, but I have found that the volume fed to maintain everyone is less then half of what we were feeding. I found that we were able to upgrade to a higher quality food for a few pennies per feeding more, but recently I noticed our old food's price was increased so we are actually feeding them better for less now.

The volume of feces has decreased, it is firm and lacks a bad odor, poop scooping is a much more pleasant expirence. Our crew gets between 3/4 - 1 1/4 cup a day, a 40 lb bag would last a one or two dog household a long time.

Deb

littleroads
10-24-2008, 10:24 AM
[I merged this thread with the other dog food threads in the Health section]

I agree - if you have a good quality food, you don't need to feed as much (our three also get between 3/4 - 1 cup, twice per day), and much less clean-up with the better food. And the 40# bag does go a long way.

A lot of people like to feed raw as well, I just don't have the time or patience to do that. Our dogs have soft, shiny fur, bright eyes, good energy levels, good health - Rody's fur even sparkles! :thumb_yello: (I have never had a dog with "sparkly" fur, maybe she is from another plant - that might explain the *stinkwad* part...)

ekornak
10-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Glad there's a food discussion going on. I did a slew of research trying to decide what food would be best for the pups. Right now, I feed Orijen (Fresh Fish & Adult), Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, and Innova Evo on rotation. Does anyone have any information / experience with rotating foods? Recommended? How often? I switch every other bag or so, and do a gradual transition so I can acclimate the dogs' stomachs as gently as possible. I'll also give some probiotics supplements with kibble (powder form), and mix in a spoonful of canned food (meat only).

A couple of other questions - I've heard about behaviorists referring to "hot" foods - I think meaning food that is too (calorie)-rich that leads to behavioral issues when the dogs can't burn all the energy they intake. Also, amounts of protein is another area I've heard conflicting information - I like grain-free food, but read somewhere that too much protein can lead to kidney issues...?? Any feedback on either of those points?

Thanks!!!! Emily

lauralu
10-24-2008, 11:51 AM
I also rotate my dogs food. I rotate EVO, Barking at the Moon, Nature's Variety Instinct and Merrick BG...whatever is cheapest at the store I am at, or whatever I have a coupon for...as long as it is grain free. I try to use a different protein source (chicken, beef, fish, buffalo, venison, rabbit...whatever) each rotation. I just rotate the new food in gradually over a 5-7 day period and have had no problems. I usually rotate food every two months.

I mix in raw meat and veggies with their kibble, sometimes eggs, plain yogurt and cottage cheese, all my dogs do great.

Some dogs do not do well on the grain free, I have heard that too...but it just depends. My dogs are all pretty hyper and get a lot of full speed running in every day, even Ellie Mae who is slightly handicapped (don't tell her that!). I don't think I would feed grain free to a low energy dog.

melba
10-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I feed Mastery Dog and Cat International. The vet range of this brand is called Virbac.
http://www.dog-cat-inter.com/en/home/index.asp

It's more expensive than Royal Canin, and Proplan. About the cost of Hill's.

littleroads
10-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Excellent link of Pet Food Ingredients, listed from best to worst:

http://www.naturalnews.com/Report_pet_food_ingredients_2.html

Artisanlady
11-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I know the other day we were laughing about the pee-pee hairs, but I have to ask about the ACD farts. Do they have HORRENDOUS farts or am I feeding mine the wrong dog food (Purina Beneful.) Please, please, we're gagging here. . .

Chew Toy
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
No, you're right about the farts being able to knock the dunny budgies dead, but as others have suggested to me, try changing the food and using one with less "fillers" (corn etc,,,) shouldnt be #1 in ingredients.

Dominique
11-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Mine stoped when I got grain out of there diet

Jake&Tex
11-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Tex has horrendous gas when we feed him food made of chicken. I switched him to the lamb flavor of the same brand and we were able to put the gas-masks away.

fanofdmb84
11-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Rowan had some really nasty gas when I got him, but I attribute that to the AWFUL food they were feeding him (ol roy :s4:) Now that he's on a better brand (Chicken Soup) it seems to have stopped the runny poos and stinky farts.

mlanger
11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Mine stopped the farting when I started them on grain free kibble.

Beth99
11-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Agree with what others have said, changing the food can really help. I ran out of their regular food and ran down and bought Beneful. After eating the Beneful, both dogs were soooooo stinky that once I got their regular food, I threw the Beneful away.

littleroads
11-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Beneful is not one of the best dog foods. Look for one that doesn't have grain (corn) or animal by-products as one of the first three ingredients. You might have to pay a little more, but the food goes farther since you don't have to feed as much - their body digests more of it rather than the corn & by-products "sliding right through" (they are fillers, and not easily digestible). You'll have smaller poops too. :biggrin2:

My dogs had more gas with the lamb than the chicken, but every dog is different there. You might have to experiment a little bit - but switch over gradually (mix foods) and then keep them on it for 6 weeks or so to see how they do before trying another one.

Artisanlady
11-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks a million guys, :s4:, so out with the Beneful. Unbelievable how much the dog food can make a difference. I'll start looking at the ingredients more - :puking:cause you have no idea how nasty they are!

winddrover
11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
i raw-feed my dogs and only give 'natural' treats (dried meat, dried chickennecks, kibble without grain) and the don't fart at all... BUT... they fart incredibly bad when they get treats from visitors for example or find 'stuff' somewhre in the field... oh my gosh!!!!

i second what the others wrote.. food is the one thing that makes the difference between a life with or without a gas mask.

good luck in finding the right stuff!!!

TexasCDLorenz
11-16-2008, 02:48 PM
I was feeding Evo ( no grain kibble) and fresh meat, but have had to go back to regular kibble for financial reasons. The ACDs are not too bad, but my Rott can clear a room. Even the other dogs get up and walk away! And I'm not using a kibble with corn. For some reason- corn=gas! Try Innova Evo or one of the no grain kibbles.

Brunella
11-16-2008, 03:13 PM
We use Canidae. No farts here unless they have too much roughage in other food (too many apples or carrots or lettuce can do it but they aren't real stinky farts). Food is definitely the key to start with. If the farts continue after trying other food(s) then he may have just a tummy thing as some people do.

julia
11-16-2008, 05:54 PM
mine have all had rancid death farts - get the grains out!!! it really does the trick :)
I had to switch one dog to raw lamb, it was the only thing that stopped her scratching, diarrhea, and awful farting!

KAKZooKpr
11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
This may be in the wrong section, but what are everyone's thoughts regarding when to switch from puppy to adult food? I think I switched Lily over around 6 months old. I know some people feed puppy food for varying lengths of time and I'm curious.

Currently Ivy is eating Iam's Natural Healthy Puppy. Lexi is on Blue Buffalo Adult Lamb & Rice. The kibbles are approximately the same size. I need to look at both labels to see if there is any significant difference in ingredients. There is no real cost issue, so Ivy can stay on the puppy food as long as she needs to.

Kristina

3blues
11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
We kept all our guys on Puppy food the first year and then switched over. We waited til they were one year old before we switched. I don't know that there was a particular reason for this, except for maybe that they're still growing, but I guess we just figured they were adults at one year & switched them then. :biggrin2:

lynelle
11-16-2008, 08:21 PM
I had Molly on Iams natural puppy and everyone suggested I find a better food (the vet, her teachers, etc). I am not sure why (except it had too much grain) and maybe some people on the site can help there. i was planning to switch her over when I changed her to adult food but then she started itching. I read a thread here on dog food and based on that switched her to Evo. It's not a puppy food but you give them a different amount depending on their age. She is almost six months and right now I am mixing. I just started last week but her itching seems a little better ( I also started adding salmon oil to her food). Not really helpful, but I have heard great things about the Blue Buffalo so I would think about switching over, since you already have to buy it.

paris_max
11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Itching can be caused by a grain/wheat allergy. Blue Buffalo is ALMOST grain-free and an excellent food. They incorporate a small small amount of grain to hold the kibble together instead of using potato, like most grain free foods. My puppies eat Blue Buffalo, Orijen, Taste of the Wild, Planet Natural Organics. Dogs do not need grains in their diets.

paris_max
11-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Ooops, I forgot to mention....puppies need protein, but you can certainly feed them an adult food which is higher in protein. Origen and Blue Buffalo have a 42% protein food, which a puppy can eat. You don't necessarily need 'puppy' food.

lynelle
11-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks Paris, I was wondering about taking her off of puppy food so I appreciate you clearing that up! I wasn't able to find the blue buffalo here but the Evo seems to be helping. Hope everything is going well with your two! I would love to see some pictures! Molly is just a little older so I love to compare her pictures with other pups her age.

RickAKAFishslayer
11-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Both our dogs settled down when we switched to Canidae. Dingo especially was pretty impressive for a little guy! Especially when he'd sneak into the kitchen & get into the cat food. YIKES!

Rick:paw:

mlanger
11-16-2008, 11:37 PM
I am feeding Ernie "Taste of The Wild" It is grain free and good for all life stages. He also gets some easy to chew raw stuff. When the pups were littler, I fed them Iam's smart puppy.

Kristina, thats hilarious about the migrating pen.
I keep Ernies pen stationary with 5gal. pails of joint compound:roll1:

Here is Ernie. His ears are up, anybody elses ears up yet?
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo37/mlanger2008/Dogs11-16-08022.jpg?t=1226892948

NCJONI54
11-16-2008, 11:39 PM
You are funny Diz... I was thinking the same thing... Hubby and I are constantly accusing one another of the stinkies.... wow, thanks for the tip on the food! I thought that we were all just getting older and stinkier. : )

lynelle
11-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Wow, Ernie is adorable! He looks like such a grown up dog with his ears up!

RickAKAFishslayer
11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Ernie's a handsome boy!

autiger23
11-17-2008, 02:22 AM
You don't necessarily need 'puppy' food.

Yup. Also, Canidae has an All Life Stages line. That's what Buck's eaten since he was about 4 months old. They also have a grain-free All Life Stages. Buck and Scout are still on the old kind with brown rice in it, but when this bag runs out, I'll switch to the grain-free kind (it's new).

autiger23
11-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Both our dogs settled down when we switched to Canidae.

Yeah, Buck's on Canidae and he still occasionally toots, but it's not too bad. I realized that it wasn't too bad when Scout (who just got started on Canidae) entered our lives and made them a lot stinkier. Hee! Can't wait til the grain gets out of her system- she's making my eyes water. Pee-eww!

FancyPantz
11-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Yup. Also, Canidae has an All Life Stages line. That's what Buck's eaten since he was about 4 months old. They also have a grain-free All Life Stages. Buck and Scout are still on the old kind with brown rice in it, but when this bag runs out, I'll switch to the grain-free kind (it's new).
I use Canidae for my boys too. It is grain free. They call it all life stages or P.A.W.S. for Puppy, Adult, Working, Senior dogs. They also have a grain free salmon meal.
NFI http://canidae.com/

julia
11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
6 mo old foster pup was eating orijen puppy mixed with evo, he just got adopted last weekend and they got him evo

my 10 month old dog had been eating raw since he was 4 weeks old, until about 7 months when I ran out, so he was eating orijen puppy with the other dog until I got more raw haha oh god the diarrhea

DPinMD
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM
This is very timely, since I was just starting to wonder about when to switch Nick to Adult food. He's currently eating Blue Buffalo puppy (with some canned mixed in), and I'm estimating his age at 11 months. (I'm pretending his birthday is in December, but we don't really know for sure since he was a rescue -- unless Josie or Lizzie have any additional info?)

Another (related) question -- when you do switch them to adult food, should it be a gradual process where you mix a bit of the adult food with the puppy food and gradually increase the ratio of adult to puppy? Or (if you stick with the same brand), can you do it all at once? If gradual is better, about how long should the whole process take?

Edited to add: LOVE that pic of Ernie! What a cutie he is!

KAKZooKpr
11-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone. Since Ivy's bag of food is almost empty instead of buying a whole new bag I think I'll start transitioning over to Blue Buffalo. I really do like that food and Lexi has done fantastic on it. She has a beautiful shiny coat and holds a good weight. I think I may also start adding some yogurt to Ivy's food too. I am out of fish oil, I need to get some more. I like the "Grizzly Wild Salmon Oil".

Kristina

Artisanlady
11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I keep hearing you guys talk about raw-feed, is that raw meat (any kind in particular?) and raw veggies too? And how much a day?

DPinMD
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I've seen other people mention adding yogurt as well -- what's the reasoning behind giving them yogurt? (And should it be plain or flavored? Nonfat, lowfat, full fat?)

littleroads
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
We put a dollop of non-fat or low-fat plain flavor yogurt on our dogs' breakfasts. It is a probiotic and helps with digestion (if it has the active culture in it) and the dogs think they are getting a treat. :biggrin2:

KAKZooKpr
11-17-2008, 12:06 PM
I usually use the non-fat plain yogurt and I also have used fat-free cottage cheese along with the yogurt. The dogs love it. Ivy has not gotten to experience this yet, but I have to go do my weekly shopping today and I'll be picking up these items.

I've used this in the past with my older/ill dogs that needed extra protein and easily digestible food.

Kristina

winddrover
11-17-2008, 01:26 PM
my dogs get chicken carcasses every morning for breakfast (about 800gr to 1 kg for 4 dogs)

and at night alternating

- first stomache (beef) 3x a week
- muscle (beef) once a week
- throat (beef) twice a week
- turkey neck once a week

for 4 dogs it's approx. 1 kg per night

twice a week i feed a pulp of yoghurt, oil and grounded raw veggies/fruit (carrots, bananas, apples, salad...)
2 - 3 times a week they get leftover noodles, rice or taters in addition

i buy the meat in large quantities and portion it in 1kg plastic bags and freeze it.

the first stomache is natural, meaning not washed and cleaned. the chicken carcasses are meat, skin, fat and bones and neck. they from young chicken at approx. 4 - 5 weeks of age.

first stomache, necks and carcasses come in big pieces and i feed them outside. muscle is cut up in cubes and throat is ground and i feed it in their bowls.

cara eating a turkey neck
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3088/p4201878kopielh7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

muffin enjoying a piece of first stomache
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8867/p7012981kopiezn4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hope that helps

Artisanlady
11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, that's very interesting, thank you.

Buela's Mom
11-17-2008, 03:57 PM
We have switched our food around several times, I remember being woken up from a dead sleep by the most awful fart from Buela whose hiney was next to my shoulder.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what we feed them now because we immediately transfer it to bins so that mice will not get into it and I can only tell you that it has a terrier on the front but is NOT Beneful. That stuff feels greasy and stinks. But like most everyone else no corn or junk in the ingredients list. By junk I mean things you would have had to go to upper schooling to pronouce.

side notes...EW! @ Ol' Roy.

When we brought Buela home at 9 weeks, she was a growling biting sqwalling mess. We also had to put the windows down every 10 minutes (In February!) because even at 9lbs she had a powerful stench.

RickAKAFishslayer
11-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Hmph...

I have been informed that my little monster snuck into the garage & got into the cat food. We've been feeding the cats out there since we had Zorro who did NOT like the cats one little bit.

Batten down the hatches!:s4:

autiger23
11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, Buck gets low fat, vanilla yogurt when his poo is soft or runny. Speaking of which, he's having that issue right now, so I need to go run to the store. We go with vanilla because I eat it, too and that's what I like. Hee!

just_angela
11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
We have had a difficult time giving Gromit and Claire different food, they both wander back and forth between bowls (no aggression from either of them) and the vet gave the ok to just give them the same food.

Like others have talked about in the Fart thread :naughty: Claire has begun to have some rancid gas. Also, she tends to be itchy. The ichies have nothing to do with fleas or anything of that sort...

In a nutshell, if you had your choice, what food (not raw-love my dogs but I couldn't stand to have to cut up raw meats for them) would you give them. Also, I know a number of you have talked about fish oils and yougurts... I'd love to get a rundown on what you all do.

Thanks a bunch! :thumb_yello:

littleroads
11-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Blue Buffalo's supposed to be very good, also there are quite a few "specialty foods" that both Petsmart and Petco carry now. Dick Van Patten's line is supposed to be very good - and some of the ones with duck and potato (can't give venison, TwoLane is allergic)...

Anyway, as far as the supplements - they get a dollop of yogurt in the morning, along with Omega 3-6-9 fish oil pills, and at night, a dollop of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling). They like it, it's good for them, and they are healthy with nice, shiny coats.

just_angela
11-17-2008, 09:32 PM
I also forgot to add that Gromit can always use a little extra something that could help him gain a few pounds!

jrmgreer
11-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Sunshine has HORRIBLE allergies. I use venison and rice (Nature's Recipe - just changed over from Nutro after their food scare) dry food. My husband is a hunter - so they even get venison for treats! I use fish oil liquid - 2 tsp. on top of their food once a day - for Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.

I also just started feeding Dynamite supplements - an animal nutritionist recommended them. Here is the website if anyone is interested - www.dynamitemarketing.com (http://www.dynamitemarketing.com). I can also send you Deb's info (she is a distibutor) if anyone wants - just pee-mail me. I am using the Dyna Pro and Showdown right now. Thay also have a 100% preservative free raw type food.

Belgrael
11-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Mine started on these foods in order to lose weight and now they love them and they are so good for them I just keep feeding them.

Sardines in spring water, each morning in with a couple of greyhound biscuits and a slice of dog loaf chopped up. They then get some milk watered down.
Low Fat vanilla yoghurt (I should switch to unflavoured to cut out the sugar) in the evenings, or low fat cottage cheese in with a half a turkey neck or a small brisket bone with a slice of dog loaf.
They never fart anymore, since I took them off tinned natural food (YUCK).
I also cook up a batch of pumpkin once a week and throw some of that into their meals in place of the yoghurt or cottage cheese on alternating nights.
Their coats are beautiful, they are healthy and although they could still lose another kg each I am happy with them. When I compare them to how they were a year ago I am rapt!

autiger23
11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
We're all about the Canidae. They also get 1-2 teaspoons of salmon oil (we get it from a place that makes it up here) a day and vanilla yogurt when they need it (soft stool) or when I have it, whichever comes first. I put about 2 tablespoons of that on.

For a special occasion, I mix up some of Merrick's canned food in with the Canidae. They have stuff that just smells like people food- Grammy's Thanksgiving dinner is one of them that they'll be getting next week. When Buck gets boarded, I buy the wet All Stages Canidae for them to mix in with his dry food. Kind of a treat for him that he only consistently gets when I'm away.

ruddyred
11-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I have Rusty on a diet at the moment as she is a little on the chubby side.

In the last month she has lost 2.4kgs and I'm really happy with her progress. She doesn't have flatulance and gets a good variety.

For breakfast she has a frozen yoghurt. We live in the tropics so they love a cool treat. The youghurt is Nestle no sugar low fat and we give her the flavoured variety. Plus she gets half a rawhide treat. For dinner she gets 2/3 cup of Eagle pack seniors calorie restricted kibble with two small chicken necks. And a half a rawhide snack. IF she has anything inbetween it is a carrot which she enjoy's most days.

My dogs are fed in seperate rooms as they have been 'narky' with each other in the past around food and I am not ever going to risk them having a huge fight.

Chew Toy
11-18-2008, 12:19 AM
http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=10557
:fryingpan::roll1::thumb_yello::s4:

maryclaire07
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
We thought that Murphy's digestive issues (ahem--the house-clearing, stains the air for hours farts) all linked back to his contracting Parvovirus as a pup...we figured he'd always have them. My feed store recommended "California Natural" which is known to be a minimalist food with no additives, very few ingredients. We've tried all of the flavors and Murphy likes the Lamb best.

Now he only has issues with farting if 1) He's stressed 2) Someone sneaks him table food. Keep in mind that prior to changing his food, he was clearing the room with his flatulence about once every 15-30 minutes. Not to be graphic, but his poop is also a much better consistency--firm but not hard (ie: easy to poop-scoop, but not hard to pass).

I know I sound like a commercial but I will never feed him anything else. We've tried other high-end, no-addititives food (ie:Pinnacle) in the past and nothing beats Calfornia Natural; I'll never feed him anything else.

maryclaire07
11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Some other things that I tried with some success before discovering California Natural are: 1/4 cup Yogurt with each meal, increasing exercise, increasing frequency and decreasing size of meals (slows down eating so they're not wolfing down a ton of air while they wolf down their food).
***PEANUT BUTTER MAKES MY DOG HAVE HORRENDOUS GAS. I have a great recipe for dog treats that every dog I've ever met loves, including my own. However, when I eliminated these from his diet, the gas decreased*********

just_angela
11-20-2008, 09:02 PM
So, we bought the hounds that Canidae food annnnnd..... THEY WON'T EAT IT!!!??? I asked them what the deal was but they wouldn't tell me.

Rwatson
11-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Hey Y'all ! Just curious to see what you are feeding your pups:biggrin2:

paris_max
11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
I use Origen Puppy Formula, Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Taste of the Wild. I am a huge fan of raw diets and used it for years - my husband made me stop for lack of his knowledge, but I may go back to that. I also feed raw bones, they love Bison necks! My dogs also love raw veggies....If they hear me chopping on the cutting board, they're right there.

Rwatson
11-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I've heard great things about Blue Buffalo ! I may just have to try !

Lizzie
11-29-2008, 06:22 PM
This thread will help you alot :
http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=69&highlight=food+poll

lauralu
11-29-2008, 06:48 PM
When Rusty and Scouty were puppies I fed them Innova Puppy or Merrick Puppy Plate. Now that they are adults they get grain free kibble (Merrick BG, Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Evo, Barking at the Moon...) and a variety of raw meats and bones and homecooked foods.

littleroads
11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Do you guys know if there's anything wrong with giving a little unsweetened honey to your dog? Our poor TwoLane is soooo allergic to almost everything. He needs to take pills - he's allergic to whey and any milk products including cheese - beef, peanuts...so no yogurt, cheese, canned food, peanut butter, etc. Am wondering if a little honey might be OK to smear inside of his marrow bone when the other ones get peanut butter Kongs and bones...I'm trying unsweetened applesauce for the pills...

julia
11-29-2008, 11:22 PM
honey is fine, I have given it before

my acd mix is still eating raw, but I switched my pit bull to now! turkey formula because he has developed dog aggression. My vet and trainer both suggested finding something lower protein and with turkey (for tryptophan). I was having a hard time finding something grain free with low protein and turkey....but then I found the now! stuff and boy does he love it!!! my cat likes to dip in while he's eating too, haha. Since putting him on it he seems a lot more calm, he doesn't wake me up at 7am every day anymore and actually slept straight til 10 on my day off, which he has NEVER done! boy did that feel good.....

littleroads
11-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Had to try switching TwoLane to Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato - has very few ingredients in it, and no grains. So I'm going to see if that helps his allergies too. He likes it - I thought I'd put just a few pieces of that kibble in the other dogs' food, and Miss Picky Rody Jane managed to pick out JUST THOSE PIECES to eat, and dumped the rest on the floor! Geez, I can't afford to feed that to everybody!! The other two are on Nutro Natural and they've done fine on it - but now reading that other thread I'm thinking maybe I'll have to switch again anyway...

julia
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
have you heard of healthwise? it's good for allergies, the ingredient list is very short for a cheaper dry food! only "bad" thing is that it has oatmeal in it, but that's still better than corn and rice

Rwatson
12-01-2008, 02:09 PM
The pup that I'm getting this Saturday (YAY) Is on Avoderm, I've never tried it on my dogs, just wondering if y'all have any opinons on it:naughty:

lynelle
12-03-2008, 10:38 PM
I can't find it now but there was a list that I thought was on this thread with ratings. If anyone remembers that I thought it was really helpful, and made me switch! I think the big thing is that the food is grain free, or at least not the main ingredient. In addition to it being more healthy, it can help your dog be a little more calmer because it doesn't have as much sugar, which with these dogs I am sure you will appreciate. I bought a bag of the food that Molly was getting before I got her to mix in with her new food at first. About 2 months after I got Molly she started being itchy. I added salmon oil to her dinner and that really helped. It is supposed to be good for their coat. Good luck Saturday. What time can we expect pictures????

heathereschbach
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Have always had good luck with Solid Gold Foods - available in some pet stores and on line. We like the Holistic brand. We have a highly allergic golden who tolerates this food well. Have tried raw and home made diets which worked well, but were not always the easiest to keep up for us.

Rwatson
12-03-2008, 10:53 PM
I can't find it now but there was a list that I thought was on this thread with ratings. If anyone remembers that I thought it was really helpful, and made me switch! I think the big thing is that the food is grain free, or at least not the main ingredient. In addition to it being more healthy, it can help your dog be a little more calmer because it doesn't have as much sugar, which with these dogs I am sure you will appreciate. I bought a bag of the food that Molly was getting before I got her to mix in with her new food at first. About 2 months after I got Molly she started being itchy. I added salmon oil to her dinner and that really helped. It is supposed to be good for their coat. Good luck Saturday. What time can we expect pictures????

I will try for sunday, depending if we get home at a decent hour ! I'm so so so excited !Thanks for all the support, Your too sweet !!!

RickAKAFishslayer
12-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Well.... the quality of Canidae has (allegedly) gone down, the price has increased significantly (from $32.00/40lbs to $43.00/35 lbs), so I'm trying to find a replacement...

Oh my... no shortage of info & controversy on THIS subject!

FWIW since Diamond bought Canidae & changed the formula I have noticed Dingo's stools are not quite as firm and dry as they used to be. They're not BAD, but just a bit softer & definitely stinkier...

We are trying Kirkland Chicken & Rice right now. Ummm... nope. Although the ingredients, protein & fat numbers are VERY close to Canidae there is a difference. Dingo gets NASTY gas on it and we are mixing about 50/50 with the Canidae.

So next we will try our local feed store's brand, Kahoots Lamb & Rice. The first four ingredients are lamb meal, ground brown rice, brewer's rice and chicken meal. This concerns me a bit.

Naturally, no corn, wheat or soy and they boast ALL ingredients are 100% American. No Chinese imports "blended in America." I also see that no "byproducts" are listed.

The next two are oatmeal & dried beet pulp. I had read some bad things about beet pulp but I see it on almost all ingredients lists.

So this person has something else to say...

What do you think of this?

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/beet_pulp_myth.htm

Anyway, we got some free samples so I'll see how the dogs like it.

just_angela
12-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Rick, this is on my mind too. The pups are about out of food and I am just not sure what to get them. The didn't like the Canidae. Would not eat it. I took it back (they guarantee their food). The Kirkland brand, we tried it and I don't remember the outcome, I just know that it wasn't good either. :unsure:

autiger23
12-13-2008, 03:21 AM
I just bought a 44lb bag three weeks ago and went back to pick up a bag for a friend who I just converted to Canidae (from Kirkland brand). The price on my 44lb bag has been $47 and now they only had the 35 lb bag, but it was $47, too! WHAT?! So, I asked the food guy and he said Canidae jacked their prices. No one here even carries the 44lb bag now which makes me wonder if Canidae isn't ditching that size so they can charge more. That's a price increase of like 30%! How crazy is that? It went from just over a $1 a pound to $1.34. Hmph.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else noticed it and to warn the other folks on the list to grab a bag if you see it cheap still. i plan on calling some of the places I got it back in Virginia to see if it increased there, too, tomorrow, but it was all the stores up here. The feed store I get it from had it on sale last month- I think to get rid of the 44lb bags left so that you didn't have a choice but to choke on the same price for the small bag. Ugh.

Oh, and this is the All Life Stages- not the new grain free one, either.

I also went over to Dog Food Analysis.com (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com) to see if I could find a new brand of food that was the same quality as the more expensive Canidae (because I'm ticked at that kind of an increase and would like to take my business elsewhere)- just thought I'd mention that two varieties of the dry Merrick got 5 star reviews (the same as Canidae), but others only got 4 stars. You might want to take a look and read their explanation of why they rated them that way.

I haven't decided if I'll switch or not, but there aren't any options that are as good as Canidae at the old prices. Just Pro Pac which has corn as it's second ingredient. Bleh. They are only a 1 star food at that site-the Cost Co cheap Kirkland is a three star for pete's sake! I may just have to suck it up. Bascially, it went up $11 a month with how I feed mine, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Anyway, just wanted to give others a heads up- if I'd have known, I'd have bought two more 44lb bags and stored them.

nschiro
12-13-2008, 08:43 AM
At my friend's feed store, we noticed that a lot of the prices went up from the dog food companies. A lot of them have downsized the bags too. They carry Nature foods (Innova, California Natural, Evo and Healthwise). I was stunned that Evo Red Meat in the 33# size is almost $60 (USD)! That is almost more than The Honest Kitchen I feed my dogs.

littleroads
12-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Yup, our Canidae sky-rocketed up about two months ago here, and at that time I switched back to Nutro Natural. Now reading about that, I may have to switch again, but there doesn't seem to be a real good quality food out there for the price I WAS paying for Canidae. Looks like I'll have to do some more comparison shopping on other brands. Ugh.

MICKEYSMOM
12-13-2008, 09:51 AM
HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THIS VENDOR: http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/default.asp?mscssid=AK5HHA5DCB0L9KDRNA19C9J8JDMC99 F6&cm_mmc_o=HFzbkCjCvnvvioCjC2AlfBFwyniCjCKwuzAkf

I GET UP TO 22% OFF EVERY FEW WEEKS...Be sure to mention promotion code PET3589 IT IS GOOD UNTIL 12/14/09 MIDNIGHT

THEIR REGULAR PRICE IS LESS, BUT WITH THE DISCOUNT IT WILL BE QUITE A BIT LESS...THE 35 LB BAG IS ONLY $32.99 ON SALE AND YOU CAN USE MY CODE NOW AND GET .22% OFF RIGHT NOW...I BUY ALL OF MY PET ITEMS FROM THIS COMPANY (DOG, CATS & FISH)...
THE 44LB BAG IS $46.99---AND SHIPPING FEE ISN'T TOO MUCH EITHER!

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/images/prod/20164801_lg.jpg
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=20164802&dept%5Fid=1&brand%5Fid=299&mscssid=AK5HHA5DCB0L9KDRNA19C9J8JDMC99F6 (http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=20164802&dept%5Fid=1&brand%5Fid=299&mscssid=AK5HHA5DCB0L9KDRNA19C9J8JDMC99F6)

You can also place your order by telephone! Simply call us toll-free at 1-800-865-1333.

Be sure to mention promotion code PET3589 for your savings!

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/images/epromo/redrule.gif
P.S. Just a quick note.
Next time you come to our store, take a look at our Auto Ship Program (http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/apc.asp?code=PET3589&target=cs_mealsplus.asp&cm_mmc_o=HFzbkCjCvnvvioCjC2AlfBFwyniCjCzAfBltb5). Never run out of pet supplies again. You set the schedule, we guarantee the delivery.
Best Regards,
The Customer Service Staff at PetFoodDirect.com

IMPORTANT NOTES:

THIS Offer ends 11:59 PM, December 14, 2008!

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/images/epromo/PFD12110822r.jpg (http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/apc.asp?code=PET3589&target=default.asp&cm_mmc_o=HFzbkCjCvnvvioCjC2AlfBFwyniCjCKwuzAkf)

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Offer ends 11:59 PM, December 14, 2008!
BUT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER ONE IN A FEW DAYS...

RickAKAFishslayer
12-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Yup. Same here. We are switching.

I thought I posted something on this last week but it seems to have diasappeared...

Canidae went from about $35/40# bag to $43.00/35# bag awhile ago.:no:

Additionally, since Diamond bought Canidae & changed the formula (check the Diamond website. VERY bottom line oriented company) Dingo's stools have been softer, stickier & smellier.

We tried Kirkland Chicken & Rice. Numbers & ingredients VERY close to Canidae but gives Dingo horrible gas even mixed 50/50 with the Canidae.

I got some sample Kahoots store brand & gave it a try. Nice firm pooh & no more noxious cloud. This was also mixed 50/50 with the Canidae.

At $30.00/40# bag it's more affordable than the Canidae as well.

The ingredients list concerns me a bit.

1. Lamb meal
2. Ground brown rice
3. Brewer's rice
4. Chicken meal

Protein NLT 22%
Fat NLT 13%

But... Kahoots claims 100% American ingredients, no Chinese "blended in America" stuff.

Dried beet pulp is #6 ingredient. I seemed to recall bad things being said about beet pulp, & then found this.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/beet_pulp_myth.htm

This economy sucks. My biggest nightmare is having to make a major dog decision based on $$$.

On the up side, got my first unemployment check yesterday...:biggrin2:

Mel2001
12-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Rick: Congrats on your first unemployment check! :)

Thanks for posting a review of the Kahoots dog food. I've used their samples as treats for our dogs, but just haven't bought it yet. I go between buying our dog food from Diamond D and Kahoots (what I buy--Solid Gold Wolf King--is the same price at each place). At $50/bag, that's very pricey for three dogs. I've been using those 20% off flyers that we get in the mail for Kahoots, so that's $10 off.

I'm thinking of buying a bag of Kahoots and mixing it w/what I've got left of the Wolf King.

RickAKAFishslayer
12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
I've been using those 20% off flyers that we get in the mail for Kahoots, so that's $10 off.

I'm not getting those flyers, and I've been looking for them.. :(

Both of our dogs plowed right into the Kahoots. They really like it.

Forgot to mention... from the label... "No fillers, no soy, no corn, no wheat."

Mel2001
12-13-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm not getting those flyers, and I've been looking for them.. :(

Hey Rick, if you PM your address, I'll snail-mail you the coupons when they come out. My mom always gives me hers, and I'll ask my neighbors to also give us theirs. :paw:

babswilde
12-13-2008, 12:40 PM
hmmm...went to the site. Filled up my cart; typed in the promo code and the prices wouldn't change. I'll have to look at this again later this afternoon after my job at the farmers market, selling chocolates!!!

Mel2001
12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
hmmm...went to the site. Filled up my cart; typed in the promo code and the prices wouldn't change. I'll have to look at this again later this afternoon after my job at the farmers market, selling chocolates!!!

Barb: I tried the site, but when I punched in my zip code for delivery, the charges were too high ($36 to deliver). Oh well, it was nice to see what prices are like for dog food throughout the country.

k9blueheeler
12-14-2008, 01:09 AM
If I could afford to feed the high quality foods I would feed Timberwolf. I am feeding Kirkland Signature's Chicken and Rice and my dogs are doing great on it. I hate the fact that everyone is going to a 33lb. bag of food and jacking up their prices. At least you can still get a 40lb. bag of food for $23.99.

I feed my Conformation dog Draco a diet of 1/2 dry and 1/2 raw food. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

ACDLuvr
12-14-2008, 01:17 AM
I was really upset when Canidae was taken over by Diamond, I'm just not a fan of Diamond Pet foods by any means. I'm going to try the kinds on Orijen's grainless formula, but I need to have some time to get to the store that sells it. The closest place is still a 35 minute drive from here... They ran out of food the other day so Jason got them some Authority Harvest Baked (Chicken Formula), Cabo and Georgia love it, but Riley and Sydney are not tolerating the food well at all, ick! There is a reason I don't give my dogs grain kibble, Bad Jason!!!:fryingpan:

For those that feed grainless kibble, what brand do you like the best? If the Orijen doesn't pan out, I'll go back to the Evo, I've been happiest with that.

autiger23
12-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Michelle- thanks for the link. Sadly, it costs $84 to mail a 35lb bag up here Hee! :naughty:

Good to know about the Kahoots- I'll have to see if anyone up here has that. The Evo and other brands are just sooooo expensive. I know they're good food, but their ratings compared to Canidae just aren't enough better to be worth the price to me. Buck never had any trouble with the new formula and when I switched Scout to Canidae she stopped having awful farts and gross, slimy poop. I don't like changing their food if they're doing well on it- I guess I'll keep checking the info on the other brands I can get up here.

I've looked into some of the pre-packaged raw brands that they sell up here but the prices were just crazy high. I wish I had a yard so that I could buy them real raw bones and meat. Oh, well, maybe in a couple years.

FancyPantz
12-14-2008, 02:33 AM
I just went to http://canidae.com/ and clicked on each of the bags of food that are on that page. They are new formulas and only available in 5, 15, and 30 pound bags. So far, my 44 pound bag was only $47.99. I guess I should expect an increase in price.

TexasCDLorenz
12-14-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm having to mix the Evo with a locally made brand- just too expensive to feed Evo. I buy it from a training center and the other food is Precise, made by Texas Farm Products. Precise is 30.oo for a 38lb bag (went down from a 40lb) That incluces tax (it is actually 29 something) I've been on a tour of their plant. It is about 30miles away- they don't use the products from China that got so many other foods recalled and the plant is very clean and open about what is in the food and how it is made. Not the best food- but I couldn't get it any more fresh! I hate the way companies make claims that they will NOT raise prices- then go to a smaller container! Sneaky! I noticed my coffee did the same thing! I'd like to try some of the other no-grain foods, but I have to buy what is available. I've noticed that Evo is a LOT more expensive at any other place than the training center. If they stop selling it- I may have to stop buying it! Shipping charges stop me from buying other brands.

MICKEYSMOM
12-14-2008, 11:30 AM
I am sorry about the link I gave you :tears:...I have never paid more than $10.00 to ship anything from that company....I order 60+lbs and more of canned dog and cat food all the time ...maybe it is because they are in PA, and I am in NY????? :s4:
I would never pay those kind of shipping prices several of you have been getting :yikes:...that is nuts...again, I am sorry...

Just a added note...I have been feeding Mickey Life's Abundance dry food for years now...he has no bad breath or tartar on his teeth...he also doesn't smell like a dog, nor does he shed very much...I have to say I really think it is because of his food...I pay $60.00+ for a 40lb bag, but I really think it is worth it...check it out...:thumb_yello:

http://www.trilogyonline.com/Trilogy/Products/ProductList.aspx?realname=10065035&cat=0&hdr=&Ath=False&category=Dog_Food (http://www.trilogyonline.com/Trilogy/Products/ProductList.aspx?realname=10065035&cat=0&hdr=&Ath=False&category=Dog_Food)

Mel2001
12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Good to know about the Kahoots- I'll have to see if anyone up here has that.

Sorry, but I should have clarified the Kahoots dog food. You might not be able to get it where you are, because Kahoots is a local (San Diego County, but based in Ramona, CA) feed store, and they started making their own dog food awhile ago.

TexasCDLorenz
12-26-2008, 05:12 PM
I started a new thread on this in answer to a question in another thread - anal glands-

Personally, I wouldn't feed Purina, but due to having a couple of fosters and a LOT of medical bills, I've had to blend Evo (my favorite kibble) with a local brand-Precise. Now that I can afford to- I'm phasing out the Precise and going to a little Evo with lots of meat and natural food mixed in. The less commercial dog food you feed your dog, the healthier it will be. I try to stay with the no grain varieties. Most of the more common foods like Eukanuba, that advertise themselves as premium, were the ones to get recalled for having melamine in their foods. A lot of pets died due to the things they put in their foods. If you have to feed your dogs commercial kibble, then I would go with Innova. Some of you other guys chime in here- a lot of foods are not available in my area, so I don't know the names of some of the better quality ones. IMO- Purina, Eukanuba,Science Diet- they are owned by large companies - Nestles, Colgate, ect- your pets health is not their highest priority. They are looking to make a profit!

millerbjm
12-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I am not an expert in dog foods by any means but I have had good luck with AvoDerm for my 2 ACDs. Both dogs seem to love the taste and it has helped with skin allergies in Dux. I have noticed a tangable difference in both dog's coats after feeding it as well - they are always getting compliments on how soft and shiny they are. The food is made by the Breeder's choice brand in the USA and I buy it for around $40 per 40lb bag at petco.

YogiBear
12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I came across some info recently about a website that compares dog foods - go to dogfoodanalysis.com for more info.

KAKZooKpr
12-26-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm loving Blue Buffalo!

Kristina

Linda Watkins
12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
If I'm feeling lazy & have run out of homemade, I keep some Nutro lamb/rice on hand for emergencies, but I've gotten into making my own food & the dogs' poo smells better (no -- I don't go around sniffing), there's less of it & I *know* what my dogs are eating. I roast turkey hindquarters or cheap chicken hind quarters; bake fresh pumpkins or winter squash & debone the meat & mix w/ the mashed up pumpkin. If they're available & cheap ($.50/lb or less) I'll buy a big load of green beans & roast & put them in w/ it too. Sometimes I'll cook up a bag of brown rice or a big batch of oatmeal (I use the liquid out of the pumpkin & the meat) & mix that in.

That's the base; a couple of times a week I give them organ meats -- beef heart, tripe, liver; if they have cheap packages of beef spare ribs, they get those for one meal (2 ribs/dog); and a couple of times a week they get the beef knuckle or marrow bones to work on.

To the cooked food, when I feed, I add fish oil (my vet said not to give Pacific Northwest salmon -- there's a parasite the fish pick up in the tributaries -- not good for dogs; so while the Salmon oil is probably o.k., I'm avoiding it until I do more research) for Omega 3; brewer's yeast and diatomaceous earth -- for flea & worm prevention. The next time I cook a pumpkin, I'll pull the seeds out & run them through the cuisinart & put them back into the food w/out cooking them as this has also been recommended for worm prevention.

I got started on this because Rose is a chunk, she'll always be a chunk, but she had turned into an "end table" -- and I was barely feeding her 1/2 cup of food each feeding; minimal treats & walking her over and hour a day -- which usually translated to 2 + miles in our park -- plus all the running around & swimming she does in the summer months. Short of ceasing to feed her altogether, I decided to try the homemade route -- with three dogs it really is a PITA, but they are all much better weight-wise, their coats are soft & shiny & their teeth are in great shape (Shae is 9 & while her teeth are a bit discolored -- not shiny white -- she still has no tartar buildup) & I've never had to have any of the dogs' teeth cleaned.

My groomer/neighbor says that she had an English bulldog with lots of allergy issues -- major yeast infections around the ears & wrinkles & she finally switched to raw for him -- it was the best decision she ever made & while she no longer has that bulldog, all of her dogs now eat raw -- I think she uses Northwest Naturals.

noworriesjake
12-26-2008, 07:05 PM
We feed Jake Nature's Variety kibble. They have some raw options as well but Jake's happy on the Chicken and Brown Rice so I figure why mess with something that works.

RickAKAFishslayer
12-26-2008, 07:52 PM
I think Linda's dogs eat better than I do...:naughty:

TexasCDLorenz
12-26-2008, 07:55 PM
What do yall think about giving sardines to dogs? I caught this medical program on TV the other day and they were talking about how sardines are a healthy snack for humans, so I wondered about dogs. I give my guys a can of mackeral each week, but the larger the fish- the more mercury, but dividing up the can with 4 dogs, I don't worry. I want to give them more fish, but there is not a lot of fresh fish available. I wouldn't eat anything out of the Gulf of Mexico!

RickAKAFishslayer
12-26-2008, 08:01 PM
What do yall think about giving sardines to dogs?

When I lived in Oz my dog & cat had regular meals of cooked fish. They loved it.

JMHO but I am not too concerned about metals in fish. You would have to eat a LOT of heavily contaminated fish for a LONG time to be affected.

And think about it. The sardines are almost the beginning of the food chain. I would think they would have the lowest levels of toxins.

I would not feed my animals raw fish because of the possibilities of ingesting parasites.

Naturally, my opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it and I could be totally full of "processed" dog food.:)

TexasCDLorenz
12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Everytime that we've caught fish from the Gulf- they've had big growths and tumor looking things on them:s4: I've also seen a few deformed ones- makes ya think twice about eating what you catch!

mlanger
12-26-2008, 09:20 PM
What do yall think about giving sardines to dogs? I caught this medical program on TV the other day and they were talking about how sardines are a healthy snack for humans, so I wondered about dogs. I give my guys a can of mackeral each week, but the larger the fish- the more mercury, but dividing up the can with 4 dogs, I don't worry. I want to give them more fish, but there is not a lot of fresh fish available. I wouldn't eat anything out of the Gulf of Mexico!

I love sardines. I share them with the dogs. we all love sardines!!

Kita's Mom
12-26-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm loving Blue Buffalo!

ristina

GO BLUE!!! I also love Blue and have been feeding it for a year and a half. I also feed Avoderm Vegi because my Gidget has a food alergie to something in the blue. But out of all food I have fed Blue is the best. And the dogs love it. But I do have to say that to get my little doxie to eat. I have to put warm water in it. And I can thank my boyfriend for that because he calls it gravy.

Chelo
12-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I have recently started my crew on Taste of the Wild - it is a grain-free kibble that costs a little more than the Nutro Natural I used to feed, and the dogs love the bison formula. The starch source is mainly sweet potato.
I find the stool volume is greatly reduced on this kibble, and no more stinky farts! Once a week, they (and I) share a salmon fillet, and they (and I) really love that! Only I eat mine steamed with dill and butter, while they get theirs just slightly steamed.
Taste of the Wild also has a fish flavor and a wild bird flavor, but I think my bunch just likes the taste of buffalo!

mlanger
12-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Mine have been eating Taste Of The Wild for about a year. They like the bison variety the best too. I also give them raw stuff, mostly chicken venison and lamb. They have clean teeth ,no farts, shiney coats ,no itching and nice muscular bodies. I also give them cod liver oil.

raquel
12-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I started a new thread on this in answer to a question in another thread - anal glands-

Personally, I wouldn't feed Purina, but due to having a couple of fosters and a LOT of medical bills, I've had to blend Evo (my favorite kibble) with a local brand-Precise. Now that I can afford to- I'm phasing out the Precise and going to a little Evo with lots of meat and natural food mixed in. The less commercial dog food you feed your dog, the healthier it will be. I try to stay with the no grain varieties. Most of the more common foods like Eukanuba, that advertise themselves as premium, were the ones to get recalled for having melamine in their foods. A lot of pets died due to the things they put in their foods. If you have to feed your dogs commercial kibble, then I would go with Innova. Some of you other guys chime in here- a lot of foods are not available in my area, so I don't know the names of some of the better quality ones. IMO- Purina, Eukanuba,Science Diet- they are owned by large companies - Nestles, Colgate, ect- your pets health is not their highest priority. They are looking to make a profit!

Thank you for starting another thread about this subject. But, you know I have never heard of these type foods that you are talking about. The top ones around here (Kentucky and Tennessee) are Purina, Eucanuba (sp?), Iams, Science Diet. Along with the lower end brands. We had our little girl flown from California and the breeder there suggested Purina Pro Plan or Eucanuba. They are right at $38.00 per 40 lb bag. We thought we were getting the top grade food for her. Around here it is the top. Now we don't know what to do; because we want her to have the very "BEST" food there is.
p.s. for years we raised miniature schnauzers on just plan purina, the dogs and puppies did wonderful. The vet and the buyers wanted to know what kind of food we were giving them. But now we have our ACD and thought we were purchasing a "BETTER" food and now we are finding out that it is not the best one. Now, we need HELP on this one. Thank you again for starting a NEW thread.

Brunella
12-27-2008, 11:12 AM
I use Canidae Platinum kibble and usually get Solid Gold treats. Solid Gold's Cinna-Bones are quite addictive for my two. Ever since the pet food nightmare back around St. Patrick's Day 2007 I try to be VERY careful about the food I buy. I mix their kibble wit canned pumpkin to keep them slim and full. The pumpkin is full of good stuff and lots of fiber so they definitely get that full tummy feeling (I have a fear of letting my dogs get overweight and ending up with diabetes).

Dominique
12-27-2008, 11:19 AM
For the question about were to buy the good stuff or at least better than you are feeding is Petco or Petsmart I think you also have Pet Supplies Plus down there.

Mel2001
12-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I use Canidae Platinum kibble and usually get Solid Gold treats. Solid Gold's Cinna-Bones are quite addictive for my two. Ever since the pet food nightmare back around St. Patrick's Day 2007 I try to be VERY careful about the food I buy. I mix their kibble wit canned pumpkin to keep them slim and full. The pumpkin is full of good stuff and lots of fiber so they definitely get that full tummy feeling (I have a fear of letting my dogs get overweight and ending up with diabetes).

I just started mixing in some pumpkin for my three pups, and they LOVE IT! How much should they get, though? I just smeared some on top of their food, which they inhaled.

littleroads
12-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I just started mixing in some pumpkin for my three pups, and they LOVE IT! How much should they get, though? I just smeared some on top of their food, which they inhaled.

If you're just adding it as a supplement and not looking to have them lose weight, then just a heaping tablespoon or two added to their meal is fine. If you are looking to have them lose weight, then the guideline is - if you cut their kibble by 1/4 cup, you would add 1/2 cup of pumpkin. Whatever you cut the kibble by, you would double that amount of pumpkin.

TexasCDLorenz
12-27-2008, 12:53 PM
For the question about were to buy the good stuff or at least better than you are feeding is Petco or Petsmart I think you also have Pet Supplies Plus down there.
The closest Petsmart doesn't sell Canidae or Blue Buffalo. They don't even sell Innova! I buy my food at the training center, but you can go to the web-site of any of these foods- like Innova to find the nearest distributer. For this area, they list Pads & Paws training, along with some boarding kennel. The Petsmarts in Dallas or Houston may sell them, but I found that they usually go with the same products as Walmart. Our Walmart sells Purina Pro as does one of the feed stores. Unfortunately, many vets recommend whatever they sell. I would stay clear of any of the foods that have been involved in the recent recalls. Although you may have had good luck with a food in the past- remember that the brands owned by the larger corporations, Nestles, Proctor & Gamble, ect- they change formulas to be more profitable. Thus the imported ingredients that got them recalled!

TexasCDLorenz
12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
What do you guys give to increase weight? Don't have any problem with my female, but Opie is 3.5yrs and the boy has the metabolism of a hummingbird!
He gets 2 meals a day- either turkey, chicken or beef- mixed with either cottage cheese or yogurt- eggs- and twice a week fish- mixed with Evo. He hasn't been trained as much the last 2 months (I've had health problems) but he still hasn't gained a pound. In 2 weeks, we will be getting back to training. He will be getting training treats- I use chicken livers and cheese, but when we start training, he gets even leaner. He loves pasta and I've thought it was good to give him, but some folks that feed natural say- no pasta? Any ideas why?

sjmclain
12-27-2008, 01:59 PM
The Petco/PetSmarts here don't sell the really good foods, Canidae, Innova, Blue Buffalo, etc. You have to go to a boutique (ie, expensive) pet store for those. I just started my crew on Wellness Super5 for that reason - because it's the best I can buy at a regular pet store. I'm hoping it'll help Charley with his skin troubles.

TexasCDLorenz
12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I found a bunch of places to buy Innova when I keyed in Nashville Tenn, but you have to put in your exact location. One of the places was in Kentucky ( I clicked on 60mile radius)
Sarah, you might check with some of the dog training centers in Houston. They buy large amounts and sell for what it cost them. The training center here, sells food at cost, even if you don't train there- a lot of people come to pick up their food and end up signing up for a class.

Brunella
12-27-2008, 08:24 PM
I have to go to either a chi-chi store in Princeton for my Canidae and Solid Gold products or to a feed store closer to home but with limited hours but my peace of mind is worth it and both stores have very well informed staffs that are really helpful.

Doug in Alaska
12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
When I first brought Tucker home as a puppy I fed Blackwood 2000, the same as what the breeder was feeding. It is a good dog food but he is a very finicky eater and didn't particularly care for it. I now feed Eukanuba Adult Maintenance. He is two years old and loves the stuff. It was one of the dry dog foods suggested by our vet.

katldog
12-28-2008, 03:24 PM
I fed my dogs Precise for years -- my dogs did extremely well on it. I highly recommend it to my puppy people. This is one of the foods that helped create good muscle tone on the dogs. When the local health food store closed I had to travel an hour to get it so had to change.

I then used Canidae which the dogs also did well on but once again it is hard to get and the cost keeps going up on this...in one year it went from $36 to $48. I am now feeding Prism by Eagle Pack...affordable 40# bags that my dogs are again doing well on. Some foods are just better at converting to muscle and that was why I like Precise so much yet this food seems to do just as well.

For puppies I feed Purina One - yes, Purina. My pups have done very very well on this formula...they all seem to love it, especially the fish. For me there are several reasons to use this..it IS a decent food, it is available easily, affordable and the pups thrive on it with solid little tootsie roll poops, great coats and good weight..not overly fat.. I give my puppy people my small list of foods I have used with success and they can change over to what they like and can find.

These are the foods I have recommended that my dogs have done well on over the years. I am not a die hard no grain person...when I went to a no grain diet for a short time my dogs would eat grass and grass blades all the time for roughage. Wild animals eat roughage too and in 40 years of living with dogs I have had no serious problems with grain in my dog foods.

Precise, Canidae, Eagle Pack, California Natural, Purina ProPlan, Nature's Variety (especially love the frozen raw food as treats for the pups)

There are others I have tried over the years like AvoDerm, Wellness and Solid Gold....my own dogs were not crazy about these foods, plus with several dogs to feed they were pretty pricey. Not everyone has easy access to all brands and that definately dictates what people will feed. For myself I only go by how healthy my dogs feel and look...not all dog foods do well for cattle dogs too.

Lynda so happy to be back on line and NO snow falling

TexasCDLorenz
12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
I forgot who originally ask about food, but you should be able to get Precise without any problem if you are in the south. It is made 30miles from me, in Nacogdoches Texas. They have a coupon club that you can join and save 4oo a bag - I pay 29oo for the 38lb bag- minus the coupon. You might try your local food store. It is sold here by Southland Feed- I think you have those stores in Tenn and Kentucky, if you want to try the food.

Linda Watkins
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Anyone hearing any negatives about Nutro? I was just told that they'd been purchased by the Mars company & lots of issues with the food since then?

cowdogs4me
12-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm loving Blue Buffalo!

Kristina

I knew the food I fed was called Blue. I did not realize it was Blue Buffalo. I just went out and pulled a bag from the garage. Life protection formula Blue Buffalo. I buy it at Petsmart. I often mix it with Nutro depending on the size of my bank account.

littleroads
12-28-2008, 09:19 PM
[Merged the dog food threads - EL]

Here's a recent thread on problems with Nutro:

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=14978&highlight=Nutro

littleroads
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Class Action filed against the makers of Canidae Dog Food
Admin | January 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Madison, Wisconsin, January 26, 2009 – A class action lawsuit has been filed on behalf of dog owners nationwide against the makers of CANIDAE brand dog food, seeking payment of veterinarian bills for dogs who allegedly took ill after consuming the food between last summer and the present. The lawsuit also asks the Court to order the defendants, Canidae Corporation and Diamond Pet Foods, to launch a corrective informational campaign. Affected dogs have experienced rectal bleeding, loose and bloody stools, lethargy, and death, according to consumer complaints posted on internet forums and websites.

“We can’t push back the clock: if hundreds or thousands of dogs have suffered, that can’t be reversed. But the lawsuit at least gives dogs and their owners an avenue for redress,” stated Ilan Chorowsky, one of the plaintiff’s lawyers with the Progressive Law Group, which has offices in Madison, Wisconsin and Chicago, Illinois. The Animal Law Center, Rosner & Mansfield LLP, and Doyle Lowther LLP also represent the plaintiff.

Further information about the lawsuit is available at www.dogfoodclassaction.com.

Artisanlady
02-10-2009, 02:56 PM
OMG!!! I just bought a HUGE bag of this (based on our other members saying how good it was). Should I throw it out? Help!!!

littleroads
02-10-2009, 03:28 PM
No, I wouldn't panic. Just watch your dogs with the bag you have - if anything looks amiss, stop feeding immediately. I have fed a couple of bags of Canidae recently with no ill effects, as have friends. If you want to switch when this bag is gone, no problem. I've also been feeding my dogs Nutro Natural Choice - no problems there either. Just be cautious.

jaycebelle
04-17-2009, 12:13 AM
With a zillion different brands out there, I was interested in what you feed your dogs.

I live outside of a small town with limited shopping. We don't even have a pet store. We do have a WalMart but recently they have cut way back and been trying to only handle their own brand of dog food.

I've recently been feeding Enhance. The dogs seem to like it and eat less of it.

MaggieDog
04-17-2009, 12:24 AM
I rotate foods brands and proteins regularly (every bag generally). Currently the dogs are eating Premium Edge Salmon, the next bag will be Merrick Cowboy Cookout (Beef). Prior to the Premium Edge I was feeding Taste of the Wild High Prairie formula (venison). I have also fed Eagle Pack Holistic Select (Fish and Lamb formulas), Wellness (Fish and Lamb formulas), Prairie (Beef and lamb formulas), California Natural, and Innova Evo.

HKFaith
04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
I feed Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Venison and Bison, Grain-free). My Josie LOVES this food, and she looks and feels great!

jaycebelle
04-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Is rotating brands okay for dogs? Doesn't upset their digestive system?
I come from a equine family and with horses this is a huge NoNo.

Jakie's Mom
04-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Jake and Rocky are on the BARF diet. It is bones and raw food. Since dogs' digestive tracts are so small, they cannot digest processed food properly. I use ground meat and add a suplement that gives them all their vitamins. The suplement is called " Better in the Raw" and you can get it online. The gentleman who makes this suplement is a Vet himself and has done much research. When I gave Jake dry food he barely ate and now with the raw food he woofs it back! I highly recomend this food and you can easily feed it to your dog no matter where you live. The web site is: www.knowbetterdogfood.com (http://www.knowbetterdogfood.com) . Enjoy! I know my boys do! Jakie's Mom

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/lscamp/Brutus033.jpg

aszrael1266
04-17-2009, 01:47 AM
I feed my girl professional brand food. She loves it and since I started her on it, her fur has gotten really soft. Plus its corn and soy free.

Beth99
04-17-2009, 02:22 AM
I feed my dogs By Nature Kibble and either raw or By Nature organic canned food. The By Nature has no corn or soy.

Jan and John at Chevland
04-17-2009, 02:50 AM
I feed my dogs only on raw meaty bones and incorporate Dr Ian Billinghurst's BARF (Bones and Raw Food) diet as well. Both dogs do extremely well on it - great oral health, shiny coats, great physical condition and none of that sloppy poop in the back yard to have to deal with.

You could have a look in your supermarket for chicken carcases, chicken wings, turkey wings and necks, lamb, pork and beef off cuts, and any big meaty bones you can find, so the dogs have to rip and tear the meat off and in the process, clean and floss their teeth as they would on a natural diet in the wild.

You may even be able to find a good source of whole carcases, such as Hares?

Belgrael
04-17-2009, 04:17 AM
My boys are on BARF as well. :thumb_yello: (a big thanks to Jan for her help in getting my boys onto this, they have never looked more healthy although they are carrying a little excess that I have to work off them)

autiger23
04-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Someone just mentioned this older thread over on Shooter's thread when asked about food:

http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=14455&highlight=food

Also, www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a good resource for reviews and explanations on what's good and bad in kibble.

jclark
04-17-2009, 08:28 AM
I feed Taste of the Wild High Prairie (Venison and Bison, Grain-free) and Canidae. I prefer the Taste of the Wild food over Canidae though.

For those of you that do raw, I would love to do it but just don't know how to get started. The few times I tried to start my dogs got MASSIVE diarrhea. How much does it cost to do it? I have 4 dogs. 2-40lbs dogs and 2-70lb dogs. If I could learn how to do it and my dogs not get sick (and I could afford it), I would switch...

fanofdmb84
04-17-2009, 08:33 AM
I feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul...its not a super premium food, but its miles better than any grocery store brand, and best of all I can afford it :thumb_yello:

ETA (12/11/09) I've since switched to Tase of the Wild. The last bag of Chicken Soup we had gave them diarrhea. Not sure if it was just that bag or if they changed their formula or what. I tried Canidae first, but they did nothing but poop! We're talking 3-5 times a day! So we switched again to the TOW, which is certainly an upgrade--and the boys aren't complaining!

Waynescustomleather
04-17-2009, 08:42 AM
The majority of our dogs are on raw, the rest are on Kent Native. If you are in a rural area and know of anyone that can on farm butcher, picking up cull ewes can be quite cost effective, sometimes as cheap as $20.00 a head. We have a freezer just for freezing down what we butcher, we do it all ourselves, goat, sheep, deer, basically whatever we pick up reasonably, the dogs don't care if it is old. Wayne has a barrel with a big propane weed burner in the side to burn hides and heads. We costed it out, the crew is eating high on the hog for dirt cheap (.05 - .10 a feeding including all extra expenses, propane, electricity for freezer) . I have some hens that stopped laying they will be on the doggie menu soon too. A person feeding a dog or two could save a bunch of money if they have the freezer space, a sawzall and no qualms about butchering, we were even given a free chest freezer, it's down in the hay barn.

I saw the other day someone selling two adult potbelly pigs for $50.00 obo including a dogloo, tempting....

Deb

MaggieDog
04-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Rotating brands is perfectly fine if you go into it gradually. I used to take about a week to transition the girls to a new food, but now I can do it cold turkey with no issue - certainly makes it a easy matter if I run out of food unexpectedly as I don't have to worry about the fast change.

My foster pup is still adjusting slowly to new foods, so we take 5-7 days to switch over to a new food for him.

Rotation is great because you *know* your dog is not on anything so long that slight deficiencies would become a problem, plus I like to do it so the critters get some variety in their lives. I'd hate to eat the same thing my entire life so I give my dog's the benefits of my anthropomorphism. ;)

jclark
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Deb, I can't butcher the animals. I can't even associate the meat I eat with the animal. I know it is stupid but I can't. If they have a face, they have a personality, and I just can't do it.

I don't know of any butchers but I will ask around. My father in law hunts deer. He gave me some deer scraps but my dogs exploded after eating it.

Waynescustomleather
04-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Deb, I can't butcher the animals. I can't even associate the meat I eat with the animal. I know it is stupid but I can't. If they have a face, they have a personality, and I just can't do it.

I don't know of any butchers but I will ask around. My father in law hunts deer. He gave me some deer scraps but my dogs exploded after eating it.

Yeah, you want be careful how much you give them to start out, some of my dogs can go right from kibble to raw, others I need to ease onto it, although it seems once they are used to it I can switch back and forth with no problems.

I understand the problem with butchering yourself, many many people have the same issue, I used to. After doing it for a winter you get accustomed to it and realize that it's just part of being a meat eater. Wayne and I have talked about it, as hard as it would be for people to do, anyone that elects to consume meat should spend a few months processing their own meat, it changes the way you look at alot of things inregards to animals. I don't think the current trend of how we associate animals to the meat we eat is a good one.

Deb

lucystrauss
04-17-2009, 10:18 AM
I feed my dog Evo grain-free kibble by Innova. http://www.naturapet.com/brands/evo.asp It's one of the oldest grain-free formulas available here, however I'm thinking of switching to either Canidae or Orijen, on recommendation of her breeder.

I tried her on the raw when she was younger, but she would practically starve herself - pickiest ACD in history! :)

littleroads
04-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I saw the other day someone selling two adult potbelly pigs for $50.00 obo including a dogloo, tempting....

Ooo, just a note from the heart, don't take them from someone who is expecting them to go to a pet home. That's my worst fear if I would ever have to rehome my goats, that someone would take them for meat, when they have been my beloved pets...

I don't have objections if the person knows that's the intention, but if they are selling the dogloo too, chances are they have been someone's pets.

(Yeah, I don't think you would do it, but just had to state my gut reaction...:))

As for store-bought dog food, mostly I think you should try for something without corn or animal by-products in the first three ingredients listed. It can be a bit pricier, but actually, they digest more of it, so you don't have to feed as much, and the cost probably ends up to be about the same. I'll this thread with the Dog Food Thread under the Health section. Lots of good information there.

Waynescustomleather
04-17-2009, 08:03 PM
No, I'm not bringing the piggies home, an extra dogloo would have nice to have though... but anything else is fair game :thumb_yello:

As far as dogs and excitement on raw, yup they get pretty intense about it, I just hold my ground and make everyone wait just like they did for kibble. I also feed good size chunks with bones in it so that the don't bolt it down. With being able to butcher I just quarter a ewe or doe, place it in the freezer, when frozen I take it out and cut thick slices literally from head to tail, mine get almost 2 lbs a day, it is their only food, they don't get any treats except maybe an egg now and then.

Deb

jrmgreer
04-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Wellness Core Ocean for me... Has all the Omega 3 & 6 needed to keep Sunshine's itchies to a minimum... and both Yoyo and Sunshine are in GREAT shape! Changed over after checking out www.dogfoodanalysis.com (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com). SOOOO glad I did!!

babswilde
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I audited a meat science class while in Grad school. It was fascinating! We got to butcher a cow, lamb, pig and chicken. I was sad when I saw the animals being terrified coming from the pen into the lab/processing room. And the captive bolt was horrifying....the chicken was the worst tho....blood everywhere and the darn thing flopping around since I lost hold of it. But the partioning into the various parts was great learning for me. In the 30+ years since, been to many many slaughter houses for my previous profession. Still sad and somewhat difficult but its the choice I've made for myself and I'm aok with it. Wonder if I could slaughter my own animal nowadays, or am I an old softie now?

winddrover
09-05-2009, 02:28 AM
diz, how is your raw feeding coming along?

i just read your post about your dogs getting over excited...
:welcome to the family!
mine go beserk when it comes to feeding time and muffin started the habit of screaming bloody murder the moment i move outside with the tray with meat on it. :(

i don't know if it's the joy and lust for their raw meat or are their bellies more empty after those LOOOOONG hours between meals :D

serious now. the quantity they get every meal is less than before with kibble and the meat won't soak in their tummies after eating like kibble will do. perhaps they 'miss' the feeling of having a full stomache?

nevertheless my dogs won't get more to eat (NONO!!) as they look terriffic! good weight, shiny coat, great overall apppearance and energy to spare.. :lol:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/2376/dsc0057kopie.jpg (http://img168.imageshack.us/i/dsc0057kopie.jpg/)

mom22acds
09-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, I've been doing a little food switching lately to try to help Tucker and his chronic itching problems. We have always been a little hesitant to switch his food because of his seizures. Yes, I know, a lot of people will say there is no connection, but what I do know is that when I took my crew off off Life's Abundance in 2007 and back onto Solid Gold, his frequency of seizures was greatly reduced. So, if it's luck or superstition or whatever, it is what it is. However, still the itching.

Sydney at the same time was having some other issues with her ears, so the vet wanted us to get on Royal Canin Duck & Potato and see if that would help. I fed it for a while and then decided I would see if I could find a food that was similar in composition, but less expensive, so I got Pinnacle (Duck & Potato). The reason I am writing this post is to let everyone know that once I put all 4 on the Pinnacle (approx the last 3-4 weeks), they all have gas! Yikes. Needless to say, time to switch. As of yesterday, we have switched to Taste of the Wild. Hoping this takes care of Tucker's itchiness (no grain kibble) and everyone's gas (please oh please!).

Sorry for the long post but wanted to warn everyone of my experience with the Pinnacle. Others may have a different experience, but I at least wanted to "warn" you of mine (P-U!)

RedDirtRoad
01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
We've been mixing Eukanaba dog food and Chef Micheals. They really really love the Chef Micheals

Ybslow
01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Give me Canadae or give me death!! Not really, but I've switched and tried this and that, but I always come back to Canadae. That's all.:)

littleroads
01-11-2010, 06:32 PM
There's a yahoogroups list called K9Kitchen that is supposed to be very helpful!

skeener
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I rotate between Orijen and Horizon Legacy. I would add more variety into the rotation if I could find anything comparable. Orijen "Red" and "Fish" are hard to find.

In the past I have tried Solid Gold BATM, Wellness Core, and Canidae, but think what I'm now using is better.

I also supplement with Solid Gold Seameal, meat scraps, and eggs.

Joint health tablets are a good idea too for my active pack!

I think www.dogfoodanalysis.com (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com) is an excellent research tool.

maikastar
01-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I ticked mail order BARF, only because there wasn't a walk 4 blocks to the vet's to buy the barf there option...and I'm more than a wee bit star struck, because said vet is a certain Ian Billinghurst :lol:

Other than that, Amber's being supplemented with lots of extra raw bones etc, and right now, she's sharing some peaches and nectarines with Maia.

So I guess the short answer is commercial barf, beef bones/chicken carcasses and necks/rootails and tastes of whatever we're eating raw.

redgirl
01-16-2010, 12:41 PM
CSJ Command Performance 21% protein kibble - a quality kibble only available through agents in the UK and Ireland, based on salmon for the protein and rice for the carbs. I assume it is farmed salmon, and probably the offcuts from the human farmed salmon industry - which is a lot more accepteble to me than the beaks and feet of poultry or hoofs and tails etc of animals (though why I don't really know...) It also contains glucosamine, some added vitamins and a variety of herbs - no colourings, artificial preservatives, e-numbers etc. Check it out here: http://www.csjk9.com/range/
This is one of the top quality foods that they do for dogs, and is widely used by agility competitors who want a fit for purpose dog without extra hype. But they also do cheaper ranges for people who want a good food more cheaply - perhaps without the glucosamine for example.
My dogs love it - in fact my youngest dog had to be switched to it when only 3 months old (with the vet's approval) because he refused to eat his own puppy food and wanted the 'big dogs' food - so we gave it to him - and he has thrived!
It's a pity it isn't more widely available.

Lori_D
06-15-2010, 05:10 PM
I feed Roxie Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato but I've been thinking about switching to maybe Pro Plan Selects beef n barley or just adding real meat/veggies to her kibble to decrease the amount of kibble..she seems to have issues with food with chicken in them or any canned food. I work in a major pet store (dog n cat dept manager and certified nutrition expert) so I spend way way way too much time thinking about dog food. I've tried all kinds of different foods with her, Nature's Recipe (didn't like it), Nutro Natural Choice (same), Kirkland's lamb n rice (runny poo)...does better on as little grain as possible apparently.....VERY little if any farts, I don't notice any and TONS of energy on 1-1/2 cup a day....and the price (for my store anyways) is the same or sometimes less then "lesser" quality foods.

nschiro
06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Pawsom eats The Honest Kitchen Embark. She gets 1/2 c. dry and rehydrated with 3/4 c. warm water two times daily. Plus lots of extras like pumpkin, yoghurt, meats, etc. as training treats and in her kong. I am strict with her being no-grain and absolutely no beef or pork (beef makes her gassy).

Nicole

MaggieDog
06-15-2010, 08:13 PM
We have started feeding Honest Kitchen foods (Verve and Preference right now) more regularly and love them! Even our cat is doing fabulous on Prowl and he's notorious for his touchy tummy. :)