PDA

View Full Version : National 501(c)3 ACD Rescue Organization...Who's In??

Lolly
11-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Since the topic of 501c3 has come up twice today, I thought I'd better get this post posted that I've been meaning to post for a week now. :) It's regarding the possibility of creating a national, blanket 501c3 ACD rescue organization.

A little background: The ACD Rescue Calendar group started the 501c3 process about a year ago. We've spent $500 on an attorney to get started on the paper work. Since the calendar project is on indefinite hiatus at the moment, that process has stopped. So we've been talking about somehow using what's been done to create a blanket 501c3 organization that could not only help ARF, but other independent ACD rescuers and rescue efforts as well - for tax-deductible donations, help w/ 501c3 to pull a dog, etc.

The hugest obstacle we come up against every time we discuss it, though, is that I for one and others who volunteer their time with rescue already are hesitant to take on any more responsibility, especially in such an "official" capacity.

This is as far as we've gotten:

The organization has been incorporated as "Australian Cattle Dog Rescue Resource" so it could be used as is.

The org has been incorporated in the state of Oregon.

The org has an EIN (Employee ID Number, which means it "exists" in the eyes of the USA)

By-laws have been drafted

Federal Form 1023 Application for Recognition of Exemption (501c3) has been drafted but needs to be completed and filed by Jan 2009

The obstacles I see going forward:

we need a team of people committed to finalizing the application and then to the administrative responsibilities of the group (a board of directors - pres, VP, treasurer and secretary). This would be at least a one year commitment after the final organization has been established (terms of the officers).

more money will have to be spent to finalize the process.

the process has to be completed by January 2009 so not much time.

The question of state versus national 501c3. Most times, organizations file and incorporate in one state, however, I'm sure there's a way to have blanket coverage. Perhaps if anyone hears from any attorneys, this could be a question for the.

So that's where we are. I'm just tossing this out there to see if there is any interest in helping to form and run this group. This group would be independent of AuCaDo, ARF, the calendar fund, etc., but once established, could serve as a blanket organization for all of these groups and others, as well as any individuals helping ACD rescue. I'd also eventually love to see regional representatives to help with triage and serve as contact person, but that's Phase II!!

Laurey

Lizzie
11-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Regarding time and money issues.....what are you doing to raise money or is it all out of pocket??? Time...if not completed by Jan 2009 what happens???

lauralu
11-13-2008, 06:02 PM
I would like to help. My dad is a retired attorney so maybe he can help with paperwork. My problem is that I work full time and I volunteer at the local shelter...I have committed to at least 3 hours a week training shelter dogs. So I am not sure how much time I can give???

I have often thought that there are so many great people on this Board, we could have a network of nationwide help. I see a lot of people on this Board also willing to foster but they don't have a rescue to back them. Would the National Group be able to help with that too?

And I am confused...who are/what exactly is ARF and is it associated with AuCaDo?

Jenny P
11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
There already is a national ACD rescue. It's called ACDRI, and they have thousands of $s in the bank. I served on the board for a year and then decided that I needed to create my own situation where I would feel like I was really making a difference.

Not that this would keep you from starting another national organization that is (hopefully) much more effective...

littleroads
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe it would help to tell us how this would be different from ACDRI. :)

Jenny P
11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Just to throw this into the mix, I have already founded the 8 State Kate Fund, which is not a 501(c)(3) yet. The 8SK Fund has already begun giving donations (from portions of book profits) to groups across the country, as Laurey would also like to do. There may be some synergy here. You can read more about the fund and the donations that have already been given at (and more info below):

http://8statekate.aucado.us/wordpress/?page_id=44

So far, I'm doing this mainly on my own due to past bad experiences and disappointments with group situations. The fund has to mostly donate to 501(c)(3)s at this time since it doesn't have its own non-proft status yet, but its intent is to prevent animals like 8 State Kate from "falling through the cracks". Some donations have been made to ARF and other non-profits.

You can support the fund by purchasing at the online store at www.cafepress.com/8StateKate (http://www.cafepress.com/8StateKate) and by purchasing books at www.8StateKate.net (http://www.8StateKate.net).

8 State Kate Fund (http://8statekate.aucado.us/wordpress/?page_id=44)

Jenny started writing this book because she didn’t want Kate to be forgotten. She also wanted to tell the stories of the Katrina survivors, the animals and people that Kate and Jenny met on their journey. Along the way, Jenny was inspired to continue writing because she hoped the book would help her find Kate’s original family. As the network grew, the book became something larger, an opportunity to give something back. Thus, the 8 State Kate Fund was born. At least 50% of book profits will be used to provide financial relief for animals in desperate situations.
Read below to learn about the animals and organizations that benefit from the 8 State Kate Fund and to learn about fundraising opportunities.

$1,476.00 donated to-date (11-9-08)

November 2008 Donations (to-date):

$50 to Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota (RAGOM) (local sales)
$25 to New Hope ACD Rescue (AZ) (sales by mail)
$30 to Southern Indiana Cattle Dog Rescue (ACDCA Specialty sales + sales by mail)
$25 to the AuCaDo Rescue Fund (general sales)
$45 to private party for rescued dog Joe Buck’s vet bills (general sales)

October 2008 Donations:

$60.00 to Spay-Neuter Services of Indiana (10/4 book sales at Indy Hair Ball fundraiser)
$50.00 to the Australian Cattle Dog Rescue Association (east coast U.S.) (Dog Days + online sales)
$75.00 to Animal Rescue New Orleans (Dog Days + September online sales)
$25.00 to the AuCaDo Rescue Fund (national) (Dog Days + online sales)
$50.00 to AuCaDo Rescue of MI and OH (Dog Days + online sales)
$25.00 to Boudreaux Animal Rescue Krewe (BARK) of Alexandria, LA (Dog Days + online sales)
$25.00 to Friends of Mansfield Animal Shelter (CT) (Dog Days + online sales)
$25.00 to Homeward Bound Rescue of Minnesota (Dog Days + online sales)
$50.00 to New Hope ACD Rescue (AZ) (Dog Days + online sales)
$25.00 to Noah’s Wish (national) (Dog Days + online sales)
$75.00 donated to the Plaquemines Animal Welfare Society, Belle Chasse, LA (Dog Days + Sept. online sales)
$50.00 donated to Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota (RAGOM) (Dog Days sales)
$75.00 donated to Rescue Ranch, Belle Chasse, LA (Dog Days + Sept. online sales)
$75.00 donated to Carolinas ACD Rescue and Rebound (Dog Days + online sales)
$25.00 donated to Shy Wolf Sanctuary, Naples, FL (Dog Days + online sales)
$100.00 donated to Lost Fantasy Stables and Animal Rescue, Ceres, VA (online sales)
$25.00 donated to New Hope ACD Rescue (AZ) (book sales by mail)
$25.00 donated to Tennessee Valley Cattle Dog Rescue (ACDCA Specialty sales)
$25.00 donated to All Cattle Dogs Rescue (ACDCA Specialty sales)

September 2008 Donations:

$11.00 to the AuCaDo Rescue Fund (ARF) (source: online sales)
$65.00 to The Humane Society of Louisiana (Katrina Animal Memorial events book sales)
$50.00 to the Louisiana SPCA (August New Orleans fundraisers and online book sales)
$50.00 to the Sula Foundation (August New Orleans fundraisers and online book sales)
$50.00 to Animal Rescue New Orleans (online sales–fundraiser cancelled due to Hurricane Gustav)
$50.00 to B.A.R.K. of Alexandria Louisiana (online sales)
$65.00 to Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota (9/20 book sales at RAGOM picnic)
$25.00 to Animal Folks MN, www.AnimalFolksMN.org (http://www.animalfolksmn.org/) (9/21 book sales- All Breed Obedience Open House)
$50.00 to the Hillside SPCA Joe Parnell Spay-Neuter and Emergency Fund, Pottsville, PA (9/28 book sales at Hillside SPCA fundraiser)

Jenny P
11-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Why does it have to be completed by January 2009? Is that the beginning or the end of January?

jrmgreer
11-13-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm in. Give me a job... I'll do whatever you need me to!

Beth99
11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I am interested too!

Lolly
11-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Why does it have to be completed by January 2009? Is that the beginning or the end of January?

Once the initial paperwork is filed, you have 15 months to file Federal Form 1023 Application for Recognition of Exemption (501c3). The initial paperwork was filed Oct 2007 so Jan 2009 is 15 months.

There already is a national ACD rescue.

My vision of this organization is LESS about the money and more about helping individuals who want to help ACD rescue but aren't a part of an organized group. And there are plenty of you out there, whether you're trying to pull and foster, arrange transport, or make donations. Having 501(c)3 status is at the very least helpful, if not mandatory in a lot of cases so the primary objective is to give individuals an umbrella under which they can operate.

Secondary would be the ability to issue receipts to those who donate for tax-deduction purposes. Honestly, this hasn't been an issue at all with the AuCaDo Rescue Fund (ARF) - those of you who donate have done so generously and without concern over having a receipt. That said, if it were possible to be able to write those donations off on your taxes, I'm sure you would appreciate it.

Thanks for all your feedback on this so far. I think the biggest question is what is required to make this work on a national level. If we get the 501c3 instated, but still have to pay for charter or something at the individual state level, then it might defeat the purpose. Has anyone heard from an atty yet that we could run this question by?

jrmgreer
11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Stephen (sehlaw) pee mailed me this attorney. I have been super busy this week and haven't had the chance to call them yet, but I bet they could answer your questions.

Noland MacKenzie Canter, III,
Member VA, MD, DC & MO Bars
Copilevitz & Canter, LLC
Suite 215, 1900 L Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20036
(o) 202-861-0740
(f) 202-331-9841
www.exempttaxlaw.com (http://www.exempttaxlaw.com/)

Jenny P
11-17-2008, 08:49 AM
I think this is a great idea. It would be nice to have a national organization that is completely independent of the ACDCA, to not have the severe constraints on rescuing that were imposed on ACDRI. In my observation most of the rescuing is now going on via communication through the AuCaDo Forum. I've heard that ACDRI has made some wonderful changes in the past year and it would be nice to hear more about that from Linda Watkins or Deb Ray. It would be nice to see them reveal their financial information so that we could see if they have come in compliance with requirements to achieve satisfactory charity ratings.

I think that forming a new national group would be wonderful and would carry a lot of momentum through the forum. I have my own nationwide fund, the 8 State Kate Fund, and am planning apply for 501(c)(3) at the beginning of next year. I would try to work in conjunction with your fund, although the 8 State Kate Fund also gives to all breed and other species organizations.

TexasCDLorenz
11-20-2008, 03:20 PM
For many years I rescued on my own, but joined a large national group thinking it would help me. Some of those members of that org. broke away and formed a local rescue (that has since broke up) I stayed a member of the larger group and became a member of the local one, but found that working with a group was not easy. Everyone has to agree on which dogs to help- how much can be spent on each dog- every adoption application has to be approved by the board- but none of these folks could agree on anything! If I came across a dog in a shelter- I would never have time to save it, if I went through the correct channels. When I did foster one of "their" dogs, it was like pulling teeth to get any financial help. Some members wanted to save every dog- aggressive or not. Some members wanted to save dogs that IMO were past saving-elderly dog with severe medical problems. As time went on and this org. became bigger- the problems got bigger. A lot of new members were very no-kill! Some members were experienced with this breed (not ACD) and some had no experience at all! Needless to say- there were more problems to working with a group than working alone. The lady that started the local group was an accountant. She took care of the legal and financial stuff. Rachel was also a good experienced dog trainer with a level head. I have not heard from her in about a year- the local group broke up- the members couldn't get along. I hope the Texas ACD rescue has more luck.

littleroads
11-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Cindy, I could easily see where this could happen. Something to keep in mind if this goes forward.