PDA

View Full Version : Question about herding

mustangsarah
02-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Whats a good book to read, about training herding. I would just like more info about herding and what it takes to be a herding dog. And just read some of the techniques.

Waynescustomleather
02-01-2007, 11:50 AM
There are two books that we suggest to new people that come here to learn about herding, the first is a book called "A Way of Life, Sheepdog Training, Handleing and Trialling", H. Glyn Jones talks to Barbara C. Collins, this is a great first book, granted it is based on Border Collies, it reads more like a story giving some history on trialling in the UK and a base training technique, it also explains alot to a person that just might want to watch a trial and understand what is going on. The second book repeats alot of the same training techniques that are in the first but gets way in depth, it is Vergil Hollands, Herding Dogs, Progressive Training. This is a great book for someone with some expirence that wants to know why things are not going right and wants to learn how to fix it or what to do different next time. Vergil gives some great exercises to help you and your dog handle stock. Often times after a lesson with James I will suggest to a student to go back over a particular area of Vergil's book, typically they come back and say "that makes sense now", we even do it alot ourselves. Alot of understanding the concepts to stockdog training is understanding where you are trying to get to, the first time through it is like wondering around blindly in the dark, alot of "if-then" statements go into training, ie, if my dog is gripping then this is what I do to fix it, is what most people want to know, where in reality if my dog is gripping then we need to go back and see what if missing in the program that is making him uncomfortable and gripping now. Probably gave you way more information then you wanted but maybe it will give someone else a Ah-hah moment.
:)
Just a note, the training in both of these books is way more in depth then you will see used by some to get a dog through instinct testing or the started courses, these books are setting up a program that will give you a good open dog in the end that will be able to get the other titles along the way.

Deb
Leaning Tree Cattle Dogs

Peppercayenne
02-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Sarah!
There's a number of good books out there on herding. Personally, some of my favorites are:
Anybody Can Do It - A Sheepdog Training Manual, by Pope Robertson
Heeler Power - A Guide to Training the working Australian Cattle Dog, by Mari Shaffer
and
Herding Dogs - Progressive Training, by Vergil S. Holland

but also, a truly wonderful resource is the DVDs that Lynn Leach has made, they are wonderful:
An Introduction To All Breed Herding and
All Breed Herding - The Next Steps

These videos will help to make sense of it all for you because you can SEE what they are talking about!

I think any of these titles are available from Dogwise.com ... enjoy!
You might also check with your local ACD Club or even Aussie or Border Collie Clubs near you for the name of a good herding instructor in your area too.
Hope this helps!
Happy Herding!
Shirley

Belgrael
02-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Sarah, we also have some great resources in our Herding Forum (http://www.aucado.us/forums/showthread.php?t=22).

Have a look and let us know if we can help further.

Di