PDA

View Full Version : my first posting

mycattlekids
01-31-2007, 09:32 PM
yea were here.. what a happy day... something funny just happened and I have to share.. It's dusk here and I just let the dogs out. They started barking loudly and as if something very important was going on.. We'll sure enough a coyote was standing eating something (not my chickens luckily) about 30 yards from the fence... My hubby went out with a screamer gun. It's a gun that shoots a a cracker shell that screams throught he sky.. That coyote jumped in the air, ran as fast as he could, looked back at the cloud of smoke and couldn't figure out what happened. It was quite funny to watch the reaction of the coyote.. The dogs thought it was great and wanted to chase the coyote.
there my first post...

joanne:party0033:

LovCattleDogs1
02-01-2007, 07:40 AM
I would have like to see that! Coyotes don't seem to have much personality to me ....so that would have been a hoot to watch. I've got a question for those of you who have Coyote knowledge....do they hunt in packs? I thought they were solitary? Apparently they are hunting in packs if you can believe what you read in the papers. Just wondering.

Sheree

Nevada001
02-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Yes Sheree, they do hunt in packs. We have lots of Coyotes around here. Some people have lost their dogs at the lake, they will circle a dog and if they can hamstring the dog it's all over. I see them ever week at the south end of the lake while going for the herding lesson but usually only 2 or 3 hunting together. They are pretty smart and will only go after 1 dog. They also love cats.

Jean & Girls

Rock Hill
02-01-2007, 08:43 AM
oh that's scary! We have them here too, i hear them howling on some nights. Thankfully i haven't seen one in our yard yet. i hope i never do.....

Dominique
02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
When I lived in CO they were really bad at our ranch and they are fast. If you can shoot one and hang it on the corner of your property the others are smart enough to stay away. We have one here that comes to the woods behind our house and Ellie and it howl together, that girl has always had a fascination with them it almost got her ate when she was a baby.

Dominique

sierrasuenos
02-01-2007, 11:28 AM
So crazy about the coyote!!! I wish we could do something about them here but we live in a game refuge and we cant even scare them. The coyotes here are bigger than Brodie and their path is right through our property. There is a pack of about 8. Around here they do the "Bait" technique. 1-2 will lure a dog away from saftey only to run into the eintire pack. I am on alert 100% of the time. Because they are not only around at night. a few days ago I went out side and there were 2 about 50 feet from me at 9am.